New TOOL Album Gets Release Date

I know its fashionable for tool fans to crap on Maynard, but his output in the last 10-15 years has been really solid.

I do feel like this single is a grab bag of his greatest hits from a vocal & instrumental standpoint, but ill wait until I can get a few listens in on the whole album before I walk away. Every album except for the first Ep (OGT) & full length took me a LONG time to get into (Lateralus literally took me 3 or 4 years before I really could listen to it fully) and now I barely listen to the early stuff so history tells me I need to give it time.

1 Like

Each to their own and all that, but the Perfect Circle stuff is the perfect example of where I think he is anything but solid. For me, it was somewhere off the back of Lateralus as they moved from successful to deified and the fan base got extra rabid. Since then, pretty much everything they’ve done has been self-referential to the point like they’re playing to fans’ expectations.

It’s very similar to The Cure in a lot of ways… like, how come big Rab is still kicking about with that haircut?

Anyway, I’ll no doubt give it a good listen when it does come out but my expectations should now be easy to exceed.

2 Likes

i still consider myself a fan, i’m not complaining. at the end of the day they don’t owe anyone anything. they have nothing to prove anymore. that doesn’t mean good-faith criticism is off the table.

2 Likes

It’s hard for a band/artist to reinvent themselves. That’s a lot to ask for. Only a precious few elite bands have been able to pull it off. Most of the time it’s just a slow evolving experience.

2 Likes

Any people who basically only like Opiate other than me? Hello…hello…hello…

gtfo

:slight_smile:

Absolutely! I would expect very few bands to be able to change significantly from album to album but I like to hear at least some evolution. And in Tool’s case it just felt to me, that the amount of evolution from Lateralus to this latest stuff isn’t really there especially given it has been so long. I’m not just tarring Tool with this brush… aside from the odd track or two the post-hiatus AFX stuff has been pretty underwhelming for the same reasons.

Weirdly though there are a handful of bands who, for whatever reason I can’t place, can get away with just churning out the entirely expected and it doesn’t seem to bother me. Biosphere is one for sure.

1 Like

I quite like the song and have had it on repeat pretty much since release.

I think they do what they do so well, it’s hard to even tell what they’re doing is complicated. Like they make really insane timings actually sound quite natural.

I agree with the grab bag perspective though, after 13 years it’s fair enough, a kindve ‘refresher’ track before the album and something also for the new fans they’ll be picking up.

That said the production is quite raw, pretty much feels like a live track except for some processing on the vocals.

Me personally, I absolutely love the mood - particularly the third verse where it’s all swells, tabla and vocal… so damn sweet. It actually feels more post-Lateralus to me than post 10k. I’m glad they’ve kinda picked up the thread there.

The chorus is very ‘stadium’… Otherwise I super enjoy the track. Better than anything on 10k imo.

Super looking forward to the album. If it’s anything like this I’ll be stoked. I know there’s some new live tracks kicking around that might make it on there but I by and large avoiding listening to them on YouTube due to the lame iPhone sound quality.

Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Saw this and clicked the heart right away. I’m in this boat. I’ve probably listened to the new song about once a day since release. I like this song, but it’s hard for me to say it’s better than everything on 10,000 Days. Right in Two is one of my favorite (and possibly top) songs. The section around 6:30 when drums, bass and guitar are just hammering all at once… I digress.

I wouldn’t be surprised if both of the songs that were being played at the recent live shows are on the album. I like both of those too, “Invincible” in particular. I haven’t listened to those more than once or twice for the same reason. I want to hear it in full production vs. what people captured waving a phone in the air.

1 Like

I know what you mean by the shit iPhone recordings but these two recent versions are prestine! Thanks to all the Berlín fans for staying quiet!

1 Like

I always had to try and like the songs on 10k, not so with this new one. I don’t know why I’ve listened to it like 100 times. wish there were more bands like this. I really miss Isis.

1 Like

its been a pretty wild ride on reddit, watching some dude like, doing covert meetups at a Las Vegas hotel with someone who knew how to rip a CD he’d managed to get hold of. So its out this Friday but theres aparently an upload floating around. There was an unboxing of the limited edition package too which, tbh, is fucking insane. Id expect nothing less from tool. I dont want to give away any spoilers but damn, i really hope to pick up a copy. occult af. i damn well love what those guys do man. hoping i can pick up a physical copy somewhere but otherwise psyched for friday

2 Likes

Just goes to show the age demographic of Tool fans when “leaks” are still a thing.

You gotta appreciate their commitment to tangiblity though. I guess a 4inch screen is the 2019 equivalent of lenticular jewel cases and translucent linear notes.

3 Likes

Damn the Tool reddit is a black hole. I’d probably lose my entire work day if I wasn’t careful. Instead, I’ll just come back to Elektronauts 4-5 times today :roll_eyes: I went with the simple digital download. As cool as the cd with integrated display would be, I don’t really need another chunk of plastic sitting around. If they eventually release on vinyl, I’ll probably go for that. Hard to believe we are mere days away from release.

@mattleaf Is that unboxing of the cd floating out there in the intertubes? Then again, I’m sure there will be a billion videos come Friday. Hell, my buddy probably pre-ordered the fancy disc and I’ll just go spiral out at his house.

Yes i agree, i got rid of all my CD’s years ago. Have a nice vinyl collection as thats what I find interesting from a collection point of view these days. The new CD is a beautiful package though that id love to be flicking through while hearing the new tunes. Also wonder if the screen shows a full music video or what. The youtubes clip only shows a quick snippet, the intro to a full music video for the title track methinks. Imagine if it had a HDMI out?! Haha :joy:

Listened to Fear Inoculum everyday since its release. Multiple times a day. On my bike, in my truck, at my desk. Walking around.

It’s freaking amazing. Kind of gets in your system. Talk about anticipation, tension and release.

Goose bumps at ~850 mark in the song.

But yea. Right in Two is one of their best.

46 and 2 is pretty rad too. So is Cold and Ugly and Jerk Off.

Push It on Salival is pretty mental too.

Hyped for Friday!!!

The mashup you didn’t know you needed

7 Likes

Aw yeah, my pre-order download just came through. Spiraling out so hard right now. :joy:

1 Like

so today i went to the store to buy the LP, but there was no LP. Not even a normal CD. only an expensive (>100 euro) limited edition containing CD’s (+ an LCD screen + more nonsense). Strange, I think.

Is the idea that you can find the music online anyway, and if you want something to collect and you want to spend your money, you can find this extra expensive package. Or is there something I am missing now? I hope so…

1 Like

From what I’ve heard, the vinyl is on it’s way and I’d bet there’s a “normal” cd-version on it’s way too. I had a chat about this with my record dealer today and he said that the 110€ price is only for us european people. Apparently you can get the mega-package from the Walmart website for 37€. I have all the other Tool albums on cd so I would maybe even prefer cd this time, but I guess I’m not a 110€ worth of a Tool fan.

1 Like