New TOOL Album Gets Release Date

Awesome.

I wasnt expecting much tbh. I just had to do it.

They absolutely destroyed it. Great band. 4 extremely talented individuals with 4 very different stage presences. Amazing visuals. So glad I went for it.

I hope you catch them solo. I bet its different.

In Prague we were under strict orders not to use our devices (and i mean strict…you would sometimes see security lunging at people). Not a blue screen of death in sight all night. Then Maynard thanked us for “behaving” and allowed us to film for the last song: Stinkfist.

Sold out arena lost its godamn mind.

My friend saw them in Prague, she thought they were pretty amazing but the venue was pretty poor if you’re about 5ft tall. The band were barely visible from where she was. Musically etc she thought they were great. Her opinion of the new stuff was very much “meh, standard issue Tool” in that it was pretty much exactly as you would expect a new Tool album to sound like.

I guess that’s what I thought it might end up being like given what Maynard is like… no doubt I’ll give the new album a go once it comes out but expectations are firmly in check.

1 Like

I’m probably “old” but I just don’t get filming on your phone at concerts. The audio quality is shit, and one is usually way too far away for the image to be worthwhile. Just go and enjoy the experience is what I say. </end old man shouts at cloud moment>

I’ve seen Tool several times, but not in many years. The last 2-3 times they have played nearby, the bots got all the tickets and the shows were literally sold out 1 second after the sale went live. I’m not joking. I camped out and hit refresh until the buy button became active, added 2 seats and when I checked out, it was sold out. Lame.

You’re not wrong. I loved being back in pitch black. In fact it reemphasized how lame it is.

But its def nice to get a couple of sweet memories easily. Just get it under control.

2 Likes

The unfortunate thing is that first paragraph is completely true.

This is from the new thing that’s coming:

4 Likes

Getting more excited as this vapor album begins to materialize. The dusty meme of the skeleton waiting for a Tool album will need to be updated…

1 Like

It’s exactly what I was expecting to hear. Like someone tried to make a new Tool song by cutting up pieces of other Tool songs. Don’t they get bored of the same scale and chord progressions over and over again?

8 Likes

Sounds pretty badass to me.

1 Like

going to listen to this one for jjust few times until the full album comes out :smiley_cat:

And can Danny lose the tablas already? It was cool on Lateralus, but I’m tired of that being part of the ‘Tool’ sound now. Eh, honestly I usually dislike the new Tool albums until I get a few listens in. Maybe I’ll end up digging this one too.

That tabla pattern definitely sounds like it’s been lifted directly from another song, maybe from lateralus?

It sounds like the tabla on “reflection” to me.

I like it though, always got on best with Lateralus so more of that sound is fine by me.

2 Likes

Seems like the mix is brighter than the usual Tool, isn’t it?

Really disappointed by the single. Hope the album delivers. That being said. It’s hard to top material like that. So I won’t be too upset if it isn’t good (in comparison).

I’m into it - certainly Tool, unmistakably so. After 13 years that’s sort of what I am after though! Roll on a UK tour.

2 Likes

I’ve been a tool fan since undertow and it was thrilling to hear their evolution through to lateralus. But nowadays I’m disappointed that a band with this much skill and chemistry keep recording the same song over and over again. Of course I don’t mean that literally, but geez, enough w the spooky hand drums et al.

3 Likes

Agreed. Judging from the tracks i heard at the show they seem to be phoning this one in.

Haha. Ever think they’re fucking with you. Sounds like they threw all that old stuff (Reflection, Pushit, 46&2) in to mess with their fans. Just to watch them complain.

With that said. The new single is sick. Granted I’m a huge Tool fan.

This was fresh out the chair last year. It’s healed up pretty good since then

2 Likes

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my reaction too. It just seems weird to me that in 13 years they’ve not managed to somehow to come up with a new idea (or two, or three)… I increasingly get the impression that Maynard has irretrievably disappeared up his own fundament.