New Tascam Mixer / Multitrack Recorder

Loading a recorded song takes 2 secondes. But there is no playlist mode.

1 Like

Thanks dude. Really interested in this mixer and your knowledge helps a lot.
One more question: is it possible to scroll through the menu and search next project while another project is playing. Like in live situation, the current song is playing and its time to change to next project.

I’ve just tried, yes I can search songs while the current is playing, but it will stop the moment I hit load, then I have to press play again. So, their is a small interruption in the playback.

1 Like

And their is a repeat function in playback, so it’s possible to have some recorded loops playing as backing tracks and play along live with other tracks. Should also be working while recording. I have to try myself, could be handy.

1 Like

This product seems pretty interesting, but without midi it’s a no-go for me. I had a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder 20 years ago that had midi. Interesting design choice to exclude it.

1 Like

The sends are the biggest issue for me, but nothing is perfect & everything is a compromise. Only 1 mono post-fader send, but there are workarounds with the sub mix, 2 monitor auxs & control room outs.

Midi sync is not an issue for me, I prefer a loose feel to tracks & very rarely quantize anything.

The big plus for me, is being able to record all the tracks that I want to at once.

I looked at other options, Zooms & Tascam digital options, but they seemed to only have 8 inputs. The Allen & Heath Qus were an option too, but meant menu diving, they are much more flexible, but for what I needed spending another £1000 seemed unnecessary.

I have recording format set to 48khz/24 bit as this is what I use in my DAW & recording quality is excellent & sounds indistinguishable from live feed.

EQs are very usable, no Neve or SSL, but fine (& recording is pre eq anyway).

I am very much into physical controls lately, so love the hands on simplicity of this desk.

I wish that the Monitor 1/2 auxes could be set to post fader, but apart from that it is pretty much perfect for me.

2 Likes

That’s great. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, I appreciate it. :thup:

1 Like

When you say indistinguishable, is it latency-wise, sound quality-wise or both ? Latency info is hard to find, so if you have any insight that would be great, thanks.

I think I have the last Tascam with built-in (DIN) MIDI: DP02 from 2008. Sounds good and fine for quick multitracking but wish it had more than 2 inputs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I don’t use it as an interface, which I assume that you are asking about for latency. I wanted something that I didn’t have to hook up to computer, so I have just recorded to SD card & played back. Didn’t notice any latency playing back individual channels mixed with live input (I wouldn’t expect to). But I make ambient, beatless music, so wouldn’t notice any phasing (on a drum track for example).

1 Like

Latest Firmware

• A function to output MIDI timecode to a computer connected by USB has been added.

https://tascam.com/us/product/model_24/download

4 Likes

I must have missed that they announced a Model 16:

https://www.tascam.eu/en/model16.html

Pretty much the same as the 24 but with fewer channels and shorter faders (60mm vs 100mm). This is very appealing to me.

I just noticed this smaller version today too…

Has anyone tried out the MIDI yet?

Naïve question: could one set up an “FX send” with this, e.g. to a Reverb pedal, and back in?

Yeah, well, there’s a switchable stereo submix you can use as a send bus for an fx unit but the amount is based on the main fader. There is an aux send but it’s mono, as are the monitor sends.

Thanks for your answer anyway ! I have mostly an hybrid setup so being able to record in a DAW without too much latency is a must. I didn’t get the Zoom Livetrak because from experience zoom drivers aren’t the best.

The new Tascam Model 16 has some slightly modifications vs. the (older) 24.
From my perspective it is now highly suitable for producing / mixing small analogue stems:

• use channels 13…14 as playback tracks from the daw or the internal recorder
  • insert all your relevant group instruments (e.g. keyboards or drums) to channels 1…8
  • set the mode select to LIVE
  • mix down your tracks using compressor, eqs and levels
  • if needed send the tracks to an external analogue effect chain using MON1 and MON2 paths and return the signals maybe on channels 9…10
  • route all the channels you want to capture in the stem to the sub-bus
  • if needed route the internal effect processors output to the sub-bus as well
  • connect the SUB OUTPUTS by cable to e.g. input channels 11…12
  • now you can record the stem either on PC (DAW) or with the internal recorder

Has anyone here experience with this kind of mixing configuration (on the tascam models)?

I’ve read here that recordings are not affected by the EQ settings - does this only apply when outputing the different tracks to a DAW (similar to Overbridge and effects?) or also when I record to an SD card?

I mean, the big reason to buy such a mixer for me would be the hands on control over my sound - and EQ is definitely a big part in this. Otherwise, if you just want to have an audio interface and mix in the box, you buy one, right?

Or am I getting mixed up here?

Cheers,
Yavor

No, eq settings aren’t recorded. But, it makes sense, like in the old days, you would track instruments to tape ‘flat’ & then add eq & fx during mixdown.

Does anyone know how the sound quality is on these Tascam’s, compared to a decent interface?

…well…depends on what u have in mind, when u say decent audiointerfaces…

this board should do a proper job in converting…but if u compare that to truuly decent audiointerfaces like uad or metric halo, u defenitly gonna experience quite some difference…

problem is always…all common used converters sound ok and all fine in first place…but once u hear really good converters in comparison, it’s like somebody took a curtain aside that was overlaying the auio signal before…

there are good reasons why a pair of good converters alone cost at least as much as this whole console…

whatever tascam got in there, it will catch up pretty fine with an average audio interface like focusrite stuff…

1 Like