New Tascam Mixer / Multitrack Recorder

I must have missed that they announced a Model 16:

https://www.tascam.eu/en/model16.html

Pretty much the same as the 24 but with fewer channels and shorter faders (60mm vs 100mm). This is very appealing to me.

I just noticed this smaller version today tooā€¦

Has anyone tried out the MIDI yet?

NaĆÆve question: could one set up an ā€œFX sendā€ with this, e.g. to a Reverb pedal, and back in?

Yeah, well, thereā€™s a switchable stereo submix you can use as a send bus for an fx unit but the amount is based on the main fader. There is an aux send but itā€™s mono, as are the monitor sends.

Thanks for your answer anyway ! I have mostly an hybrid setup so being able to record in a DAW without too much latency is a must. I didnā€™t get the Zoom Livetrak because from experience zoom drivers arenā€™t the best.

The new Tascam Model 16 has some slightly modifications vs. the (older) 24.
From my perspective it is now highly suitable for producing / mixing small analogue stems:

• use channels 13ā€¦14 as playback tracks from the daw or the internal recorder
  • insert all your relevant group instruments (e.g. keyboards or drums) to channels 1ā€¦8
  • set the mode select to LIVE
  • mix down your tracks using compressor, eqs and levels
  • if needed send the tracks to an external analogue effect chain using MON1 and MON2 paths and return the signals maybe on channels 9ā€¦10
  • route all the channels you want to capture in the stem to the sub-bus
  • if needed route the internal effect processors output to the sub-bus as well
  • connect the SUB OUTPUTS by cable to e.g. input channels 11ā€¦12
  • now you can record the stem either on PC (DAW) or with the internal recorder

Has anyone here experience with this kind of mixing configuration (on the tascam models)?

Iā€™ve read here that recordings are not affected by the EQ settings - does this only apply when outputing the different tracks to a DAW (similar to Overbridge and effects?) or also when I record to an SD card?

I mean, the big reason to buy such a mixer for me would be the hands on control over my sound - and EQ is definitely a big part in this. Otherwise, if you just want to have an audio interface and mix in the box, you buy one, right?

Or am I getting mixed up here?

Cheers,
Yavor

No, eq settings arenā€™t recorded. But, it makes sense, like in the old days, you would track instruments to tape ā€˜flatā€™ & then add eq & fx during mixdown.

Does anyone know how the sound quality is on these Tascamā€™s, compared to a decent interface?

ā€¦wellā€¦depends on what u have in mind, when u say decent audiointerfacesā€¦

this board should do a proper job in convertingā€¦but if u compare that to truuly decent audiointerfaces like uad or metric halo, u defenitly gonna experience quite some differenceā€¦

problem is alwaysā€¦all common used converters sound ok and all fine in first placeā€¦but once u hear really good converters in comparison, itā€™s like somebody took a curtain aside that was overlaying the auio signal beforeā€¦

there are good reasons why a pair of good converters alone cost at least as much as this whole consoleā€¦

whatever tascam got in there, it will catch up pretty fine with an average audio interface like focusrite stuffā€¦

1 Like

Thanks, thatā€™s kinda what I thought.

Does anyone have any recommendations how the SUB Output could be sent to an audio splitter (if this is what it might be called). Will this"work"? currently run the SUB Output of the Model 24 into my MPC Live. I would really like the ability to run that SUB OUTPUT into other gear like a tape cassette deck, sp404sx, 303 possiblly a guitar amp to experiment with reamping

Hey!

Anyone with the Model 16 or Model 24 used the USB Midi Feature yet? How can I understand that feature? Do you set a tempo on the display and the Device sends out a Midi Clock with that tempo? Or does it even record Midi Clock on record so it it back afterwards?

Thanks,

Jens

I canā€™t recommend the Model 16 enough; itā€™s completely changed the way I record. I released an EP this week mixed and recorded entirely through the 16 (I only used my DAW to print the L-R audio from the mixer).

I think Iā€™ve referenced the manual once (which is admittedly pretty sparse) since I purchased the mixer two months ago. Havenā€™t dug into any of the USB MIDI capabilities and I completely bypass the on-board FX, so I canā€™t comment on those yet. The compressor is serviceable but nothing fancy; I use an old DBX 166XL as an insert anyway.

I have a long way to go with my mixing abilities but itā€™s so satisfying to deny myself the reflexive impulse to throw plug-ins on everything. Cheers to Tascam for bringing back the spirit of those halcyon teenage days when I was recording little jams onto my 4-track Portastudio. :wink:

18 Likes

Sounds awesome man

1 Like

your EP is great ! my respect )
I am looking for an improvement in mixing and recording facilities in mystudio and this device teases me amongs others. could you please briefly sketch up your workflow regarding sync, fx routing, and usage of successive takes ?
thank you in advance

1 Like

Have you had an issue recording ALL 14 tracks at one time? Any SD card issues? Has lack of MIDI on this model been an issue?

Iā€™m looking at the Model 24, which would be great to record and dump all the individual tracks into a DAW for further processing/mixing.

Iā€™ve also looked at the Yamaha MGP series, although that only records (via USB) the stereo mix (vs the individual tracks).

Iā€™m on the fence here with a multitrack recorder vs. Overbridge, which would require me to buy a new computer.

Thoughts?

Iā€™ve had a 24 for about 8-9 months and have never had any card issues, nor problems recording many tracks simultaneously. I usually have 14-16 tracks armed with no problems.

Having a dedicated midi port would be a bonus, but it has yet to be a problem for me. The model 16 and 24 sync to your DAW if you want, I just donā€™t do it that often.

Thanks @Kpucski - thatā€™s very helpful information. I am running DAW-less right now and have a Digitone as the master clock, syncing all of my devices. My goal with a Model 24 would be to arm the tracks, hit ā€˜record,ā€™ and hit ā€˜playā€™ on the Digitone to start the sequence and get the individual tracks recorded. I would then copy all the individual track recordings into a DAW for further processing.

In that scenario, a lack of a MIDI port on the Model 24 does not feel like a deal breaker since all of my devices are synced by a Digitone and I would be using the Model 24 purely as a multi-track recorder.

Based upon your experience with your Model 24, do you see any blind spots Iā€™m missing with how I would be using it?

Thanks!

Thatā€™s exactly how Iā€™m using it. Iā€™ll improvise while Iā€™m recording and then import to the DAW to fine tune and add effects/polish.

Being able to have all the individual tracks in one go is what sold me on it. Before, I was recording the same way but only getting a stereo track, which hinders what can be tweaked.

1 Like

Fantasic EP, @Flood! A joy to listen all the way through.

Thereā€™s some very nicely-judged bass guitar work in there. Sampled or actual?

Definitely one to post in Our Music, if I may suggest.

1 Like