New Tascam Mixer / Multitrack Recorder

Tascam getting back to their roots a bit!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-model-24-24-channel-multitrack-recorder-with-analog-mixer-and-usb-interface?source=3GOA6L1D

Onboard 24-track internal digital recorder.

The Model 24 is a powerful, versatile, hybrid mixer for both live and recording that integrates a full-featured 22-channel professional mixer, a 24-track internal digital recorder, and a 22 X 24 USB audio interface. Model 24 is perfect for performance, recording, or both simultaneously.

FEATURES

22 total input channels
16 mic preamps with 48V Phantom power
2 Hi-Z instrument inputs
20 balanced line inputs
Singe-knob compression

8 Likes

Best looking mixer I’ve seen in ages, not that that counts for much…

1 Like

Small one pls tascam!

Anyone seen/tried/used one of these yet? I keep thinking about it. Lots of features that I think I’d like using, if it sounds good enough to record tracks standalone to the SD card without a computer to then mixdown in the DAW later. Would prefer something hands-on like this over a Qu-Pac, I think.

So kind of the same concept as the Soundcraft MTK series right? (albeit prettier)

You can’t use the Soundcraft as a standalone multi-track recorder.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the thing.

It looks like a bit like a bigger version of my Soundcraft EFX12 (onboard FX, sweepable midrange EQ etc) with a multitrack recorder built in. I like the simplicity of the EFX, but obviously it only mixes to stereo, and I don’t really like multitracking into a DAW any of the ways I’ve tried so far. I don’t like having the computer there at all when I’m writing/recording really, dealing with interface/latency/bandwidth issues etc. - but I do really like using plugins and effects when doing the mixdown.

There might be some other mixers like this out there that do a similar thing but I don’t remember seeing one that combines a proper project mixer feature set with an internal recorder - anyone have any suggestions? It does appeal to me. A slightly smaller/cheaper 16 track one with the same features would be even better.

1 Like

This is a classy looking device but why oh why is there no midi I/O for sync? This is a terribly unfortunate trend in these stand alone units.

The 20 year old VS-840 had midi and SPDIF/ADAT I/O.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised at no midi sync considering you can playback recorded tracks, and record new tracks alongside the playback, etc.

1 Like

Tascam ditched the MIDI ports on their digital portastudios a few years ago, too. Odd choice. You might be able to get away with using a sync code like in the old days (routed out of an aux), but that’s a little too unnecessarily ‘like the old days’, if you ask me…

4 Likes

Off the top of my head the quick comparison would be the zoom live track l16. I do believe they have a similar feature set.

2 Likes

Thanks, I hadn’t seen that. It does seem to cover a lot of the same ground. I was going to say it doesn’t have the front panel EQ but then I clocked it was a common set of controls and you switch channels to adjust. The L20 looks even closer.

1 Like

And would be willing to give their opinion?

Interested in this as well.

+1

I’m really happy with this mixer/recorder/audio interface. It sounds good to my ears, it’s well built and totally hands on. Works perfect for my setup.

1 Like

I wonder if they’ll bring out a version with fewer tracks…

Wondering if anyone else has picked one of these up lately? I’m mostly curious about the fx sends and using the two monitor aux’s and sub output sending to stereo channels. Could you theoretically have 4x post fade sends to the channels (3 aux and sub output)?
Would eq, comp, vol and fx all be recorded in the stereo mixdown?

I’d also be interested to know what’s possible with stereo sends for fx. When I looked at it briefly a while back it seemed like the fx sends were mono.

Beautiful looking mixer. (: so is it possible to mix those recorded tracks with the mixer? Like make a final mix with those knobs and faders, effects and etc.