Best mixer?

thanks for all suggestions, I will look into all of the above. the reason why I am looking at dj mixers is because I somtimes do long electronic pieces that need to blend in into another and I dj mixer would be good for that workflow. but I do other stuff too, so it is hard to find something that suits all purposes.

1 Like

I have ableton and focusrite 18i8, I guess they could replace a desk mixer. but I want to avoid DAW if i can. the latest piece that I did was just with digitakt into digitone recording on a tascam dr-100mklll: https://www.mixcloud.com/analogpoints/deviation/

But do your produce tracks outside the box only, or do you perform and write LIVE performance ?
I think that part is really what make advises then better :wink:

1 Like

you are right, of course.

behringer x32 seems to be popular and affordable. however, there are several models, from 1200€ (compact model) to 2200€. the compact model is whitin my price range.

Ok mixing purpose how many channel you need in front of you ever, because the different models are 8 - 16 then you have pages/layers and you can switch instantly by a button.

So you need to feel regarding your music if you need to manage from a LIVE/MIXING point of view if 8 tracks and switching can be ok or 16 tracks without much switching - Me personally I like 16 to 22 it’s a comfort but then it’s not the same price as on your right it’s Bus on your left track if I remembering well.

You have also more economical options with things like Behringer X18 or MIDAS (same thing MIDAS preamps) but motorized faders and iPad tactile faders are really not the same. If you need to recall static mixing it’s really a good option

If you works dynamic mixing it’s not from my experience

basically I try work in a minimalistic mode with a few stereo and mono channels and a portable recorder (my tascam). right now I have a behringer 1002b mixer. it’s cheap but also a bit limited. I guess I have to do a bit research before buying. I will look into all options, thanks for all advice so far.

1 Like

at some points I/O needs is really linked with how you handle you music.
Some work as Stereo pairs and Bus thinking,
Some like to put literally themselves on the desk like in their room and take all the space they can and individuals they have so…

Really subjective :wink:

I just got the Tascam Model 24. For my needs, it is awesome. Dark trinity and a couple of other synths / FX boxes running into it, recording all tracks to the SD card all the time. Totally removed the need for a computer or other device until it comes to editing etc.

2 Likes

Is it possible to heard Analog Summing Results of these one ? like computer / Tascam model 24 to compare ? maybe too much work don’t bother if it is …

I’m curious … it is a beauty they done would like to heard how’s preamps and analog summing goes on this one rather than the Soundcraft MTK model

Is it possible to sum and get back to the computer with this one like the MTK from soundscraft ?
Seems yes from Sweetwater … it’s great

Little bit pricey regarding X32 with Recall capabilities
But analog summing is probably great on this one … difficult choice :slight_smile: as everytime …

The Tascam 24 looks very interesting, and I had just been looking at mixers before I saw this thread. I was actually looking for something much cheaper, just so a friend and I could play together and have a few stereo inputs each.

One question I had about these sorts of audio interface mixers is about latency. Is it possible to use one of these as an audio interface using both hardware and software instruments at the same time, or is the latency too large?

I use a focusright audio interface now, and latency is a manageable but persistent problem. My fear is any USB mixer might be worse to the point of being unmanageable while using both hardware and software synths.

I am intrigued by idea just to record to the mixer, but I just don’t have enough hardware to make all the voices I want, and so to go this route I would need to get the $1k mixer, PLUS another $2-5K worth of synthesizers. Or am I just thinking about this wrong?

Would be great to hear more of your first impressions in the Model 24 thread if you don’t mind…

I’ve been considering one but haven’t seen many independent reviews/opinions yet. Eg how is aux / fx send routing? Is it easy enough to set up a stereo fx loop? And how does the A/D sound when recording to the card?

1 Like

Your Mom…

Ok, just kidding. Depends on your needs. I like the Mackie lineup but Allen & Heath makes some awesome products. Really depends on how many inputs, inserts, and aux things you want. Also do you want efx on it? I can’t really suggest any other brands because I haven’t really used anything other than that…

I second the Qu16 - sounds great and you can multitrack revord without a computer. Super easy to record a jam session then uplaod stems into a DAW to make a finished track.

1 Like

Hi all! @finalform @William_WiLD I am certainly going to do some summary info and overview of the Model 24 in the main Model 24 thread. Can do some demo recordings and let you all hear it.

I just need to find some time - I couldn’t find any info either or reviews etc. Think I got one from the first shipment to the UK actually. Some time this week I will get on the other thread and spend an evening answering any and all questions!

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks. :okej:

not sure I’d go with a dj mixer for home and recording use. main advantage of dj mixers is the aggressive eq they offer, as well as cross-fading between sources and built-in effects. do you really need that for home and recording?

personally I don’t even use eq in my studio mixer; I save that for after I’ve recorded into a daw and am actually mixing. focus on getting the best source sounds first and hopefully the end result will be better off for it…

anyway, you have a good sound card already. I’d just get something simple like a rack unit or even one of the smaller a&h, mackie, soundcraft, etc. I get that you like to work daw-less, but you’ve got a good card, a computer, and a daw license. why not use them? you don’t have to go crazy with workflow inside the daw; can just use it to capture your stereo mix and move on.

2 Likes

I agree. I have used a Mackie 1202 vlz4 and now a Mackie Onyx 1620i (4 aux sends are nice for messing with pedals), but I think I like the flexibility and efficiency of using a Launchcontrol XL and a Livid DS1 (this has since been moved to Ableton drumrack duty - like a TR-8S in the box). Still bouncing back and forth between the Mackie and XL but the convenience of ITB mixing is hard to beat.

I find the alto live mixers really good… currently using a 2404, which although is 24 channels it’s surprisingly compact… I really love how I dont feel compromised with it’s design… it had 4 aux sends per channel… 16 true mono channels, 8 with their own inbuilt compressors, all 16 have inserts… over all I think for the money if you want a decent analogue mixer its a great option…

yeah, that is a way to go, use the 18i8 together with ableton.
a dj mixer could be use for improvisation and a dawless live setup, but you are essentially right, that soundcard plus ableton is sufficient

I have the Zoom Live 12 but no audio except for the first channels 1-2 so back it goes!