New Tascam Mixer / Multitrack Recorder

Yes, that’s all possible. You can record the separate tracks to SD card, play them back and mix/adjust them while recording other channels, etc., export the separate channel recordings to DAW or multitrack directly to DAW. It’s pretty neat but for electronic stuff I’m wondering if stereo fx sends/routings are missing somewhat.

2 Likes

Are the tracks recorded to SD post-fader?
I have the Soundcraft MTK12, and like it, but one of the irritations is that when you use the (nice) EQs on your mix it doesn’t affect what is streamed to the DAW, which makes them kinda pointless.

I understand that all the tracks are recorded pre fader / dry files first with no EQ, then you can do a post fader mixdown on the mixer itself (to a stereo wav file) or mixdown on the mixer via your DAW (including whatever plugins you want to use, etc.)

4 Likes

Yes, that’s right. Everything you record to the channels is pre-faders, eq, pan. Only gain and compressor are important while recording. After finishing the recording you can make a mixdown of your material, adjust levels, panning and eq, add fx and then finally record this to the main channels. It’s a restrictive way of recording, but it works, even more so if you’re used to only record your jams, now you can adjust the mainmix later on.

But a hint for us sequencer guys, it fits mostly only while recording multitrack jams. Recording in layers one track after another will cause pain with the timing, when you’re working with sequenced material. They forget to implement a midi connection. But otherwise it’s easy to play and record Realtime things over the sequenced stuff, where the timing comes naturally. Or not…

And yes there is only the sub mix as stereo send. It’s post fader
MON1, MON1 and FX are Mono sends and pre fader.

And you could also use the Control Room out as stereo send. It reflects either the main channel or the PFL. But I use it for my monitors on the model 24.
I use the Control Room out as recording send to my Octatrack on another mixer.

3 Likes

Coooool. This might be a good choice to play backing tracks live, also then live mix those tunes with effects and etc. Unfortunately there is no midi, but that’s ok to me. Maybe there is a way to sync this with other gear.

How about stereo recording and playback of a stereofile? There is 4 stereo channels in the mixer, can those be used for playback?

I wonder what the rationale was for this. The DP24 model had MIDI and then for some unknown reason it was removed from the DP24SD model.

As far as I can see the other brands of similar products have followed suit (Zoom, Boss). Makes zero sense to me and I am not sure there is a curent multitrack recorder (in budget) that I would buy, due to lack of MIDI sync.

I lament that my ol’ Br-8 (!) works on zip discs: I can’t find a CF or SD card reader that works with it. I guess I can sample the sounds of the zip disc and mangle that in the OT.

3 Likes

For a couple of minutes, I thought y’all were talking about the new DR-X line of recorders - I’m considering one of these for recording band practices - the Android/iPhone recording thing is getting old for us.

The most expensive model ($199) has two XLR input in addition to the 2 mics and can thus record up to 4 tracks at once.

They’re all USB class compliant audio interfaces too.

1 Like

The 4 stereo channels playback and recording behaves exactly like the 12 mono channels but with slightly different eq and without compressor.
Besides that, you’ve got stereo channel Nr. 5, it has no gain, no compression, no eq and no fx send but it handles incoming Bluetooth. I use it mostly as daw return. Or for my phone when listening to something. Really cool to have that.

1 Like

How long does it take to load a new project when changing song? Is there somekind of playlist mode where it is easy to change between projects in live situation?

Loading a recorded song takes 2 secondes. But there is no playlist mode.

1 Like

Thanks dude. Really interested in this mixer and your knowledge helps a lot.
One more question: is it possible to scroll through the menu and search next project while another project is playing. Like in live situation, the current song is playing and its time to change to next project.

I’ve just tried, yes I can search songs while the current is playing, but it will stop the moment I hit load, then I have to press play again. So, their is a small interruption in the playback.

1 Like

And their is a repeat function in playback, so it’s possible to have some recorded loops playing as backing tracks and play along live with other tracks. Should also be working while recording. I have to try myself, could be handy.

1 Like

This product seems pretty interesting, but without midi it’s a no-go for me. I had a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder 20 years ago that had midi. Interesting design choice to exclude it.

1 Like

The sends are the biggest issue for me, but nothing is perfect & everything is a compromise. Only 1 mono post-fader send, but there are workarounds with the sub mix, 2 monitor auxs & control room outs.

Midi sync is not an issue for me, I prefer a loose feel to tracks & very rarely quantize anything.

The big plus for me, is being able to record all the tracks that I want to at once.

I looked at other options, Zooms & Tascam digital options, but they seemed to only have 8 inputs. The Allen & Heath Qus were an option too, but meant menu diving, they are much more flexible, but for what I needed spending another £1000 seemed unnecessary.

I have recording format set to 48khz/24 bit as this is what I use in my DAW & recording quality is excellent & sounds indistinguishable from live feed.

EQs are very usable, no Neve or SSL, but fine (& recording is pre eq anyway).

I am very much into physical controls lately, so love the hands on simplicity of this desk.

I wish that the Monitor 1/2 auxes could be set to post fader, but apart from that it is pretty much perfect for me.

2 Likes

That’s great. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, I appreciate it. :thup:

1 Like

When you say indistinguishable, is it latency-wise, sound quality-wise or both ? Latency info is hard to find, so if you have any insight that would be great, thanks.

I think I have the last Tascam with built-in (DIN) MIDI: DP02 from 2008. Sounds good and fine for quick multitracking but wish it had more than 2 inputs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I don’t use it as an interface, which I assume that you are asking about for latency. I wanted something that I didn’t have to hook up to computer, so I have just recorded to SD card & played back. Didn’t notice any latency playing back individual channels mixed with live input (I wouldn’t expect to). But I make ambient, beatless music, so wouldn’t notice any phasing (on a drum track for example).

1 Like

Latest Firmware

• A function to output MIDI timecode to a computer connected by USB has been added.

https://tascam.com/us/product/model_24/download

4 Likes