New Pittsburgh Modular synth

Sooo, I haven’t seen a topic about it yet here, and I thought I could create a new one. There are some hints about a new, unannounced Pittsburgh Modular synth, which is not a microvolt 3900b, nor a VRL 2.
The OG microvolt 3900 is my first semi, and is still my go to mono synth right now, I can’t wait to hear more a bout this newcomer. It can be heard here :

And some infos can be read in the live comment, which I summarize here :

• While the video showcases the droning aspect of the synth (which sounds awesome to me), it was originally meant to be played by keyboardists
  • it will be eurorack, but comes with an enclosure, I assume like the sv-1 serie
  • it works with multiple feedback loops (4 to 5 )
  • the preamp input can self oscillate

Aaand that it, it is supposed to be shown at namm. What do you think ?

6 Likes

Sounds like the sort of thing you could spend hours on composing soundtracks to horror movies that don’t yet exist. And on that basis, I approve unreservedly.

2 Likes

nice. looking forward to this

2 Likes

More infos here, I haven’t seen the whole video yet

I have an SV1.
Missed the boat on the VRL, still kinda looking.
Drone synth yes please.

Pittsburgh stuff is killer.

2 Likes

I missed it too, but it is not a bad thing as I really was a beginner in modular . The MV 3900 was really enough for me .

Since the new Pitts synth was the Taiga, I thought of using this thread for the other upcoming PM machine.
In this video Richard talks about 2023, then what is happening in 2024 : the return of the VRL around april ( will be revealed at superbooth) and a new secret synth coming in february. Also, a drum machine, would love to see what they are going to do !

https://www.youtube.com/live/JSzKBDAUjVY?si=dO6ud3F-12bLU1Mv

3 Likes

I queued the video – and made it “visible”.

What is discussed, beyond my notes you gotta listen :

• VL2 – innovate in Analog, like may have not been seen before.
  • Cool New Synth – Ready to ship second week of February ( probably ), The launch video and manual under way.
  • Drum Machine - being developed, toward end of year or early 2025.
  • Three new Cre8Audio products one at least especially good.
  • Local Parks oscillator module ( January 9), off shoot of VL2 and Narlwhal.
  • Cascading Delay 2 module – Analog Delay BBD ( later 2024 )
  • New Filter module ( temporarily named Murder of Crows ?) – multi-filter ?? At the inspiration sketch in phase.
  • 2025 multiple filter device with “flavors” of filters

EDIT : Two small improvements made to post.

5 Likes

Did he say 90 HP for the VL2 ? He did didn’t he. That’s a big one. Good that they plan to manufacture it 'til nobody else wants it.

The Cre8audio product excite me, they are lower cost high value products, so probably easier decisions to just grab. And soonish perhaps.

2 Likes

Tundra incoming :relieved:

1 Like

For Cre8audio :

The North Force
and
The South Mouth

2 Likes

“Arctic Air From Canada” and “Gulf Hurricane”

3 Likes

Yes! You heard right: in the video Michaels says two rows of 90 hp, one for the the synth and one for the sequencer :heart:
Oh God, pure GAS for me!!

4 Likes

Sounds like $$$ to me…

Yes, IIRC the VRL1 was around 1500 dollars during the kickstarter campaign right ?

1 Like

Looks like it was 1,250 kickstarter and then 1,600 on release for VRL1… I feel like most preset modular systems in the size range of what they are talking with VRL2 are like 4,000+ but if its a single panel per row with a big shared pcb maybe the can get it down to like 3,000? maybe they are targeting 2,500?

180hp total is a pretty serious amount of modular. I suppose it might depend a bit how they are treating the space, if it is a big luxurious thing or a cram everything ever into the space type thing… I suspect it will be pretty dense but maybe not as much so as the VRL1.

It’s not 180hp of modular, though. One row of 90hp is for the sequencer / controller. The top module of VRL was 48hp. This one may not be as dense. I think you are right about $2500-3000. More than that and 6u x 84hp of modular becomes an alternative.

1 Like

Another new product : Later in the video ( shortly after 41 minutes ) Richard mentions another product “Snakes” that has a fairly large software component, that comes out in a month or so. They already have 200 of these built ready to ship.

What is it ? Does anyone know details, or :wink: made a pre-order :wink: ?

2 Likes

IIRC in another interview Michael said they intended to make the VL2 “relatively cheaper” than the VL1; If i have understood well, more features but not a huge increase in price.

For the size, in the video he said that they needed more space for the circuits; no need to cram at all costs I suppose.

Anyway, I’m excited for all of their stuff!

2 Likes

With more stuff they’ll have less time for teaser videos, though the Taiga teasers were fun and well done.

They’re not scheduled for NAMM near the end of this month, and Superbooth is in the second half of May. There are a couple of smaller shows before SB ( post with show schedule ), but i bet PM won’t do them.

We’ll see how they promote all this stuff.

1 Like