New Octatrack MK II or Digitakt?

Digitakt is best instrument ever (for me), but good distortion, overdrive, saturation Or compression is essential for me; since the signal is a little too clean to me…

Old ot was annoying to many people since the workflow was not very nice. Some people absolutely love it… depends on new ot, it can be approved. Nobody knows

3 Likes

Thanks! I missed that files could be transferred via USB. Think I’ll stick with original plan and add the OT.

3 Likes

smart man

:slight_smile:

what is an OB?

Can you show post some examples of that?
My Rytm is on its way and I’m trying to eat all the knowledge I can.

Cheers.

OB refers to the Overbridge software for DAW interface.

2 Likes

ah thanks so many acronyms here it is like alphabet city!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Ub8o616AL.jpg

1 Like

Sorry, labs down for a week or so… Maybe there’s videos out there. Basically you have an lfo changing which sample your trigs play. It can be really fast, really slow, in order through your sample list, random, etc., by changing lfo parameters. It doesn’t necessarily repeat over pattern length depending on lfo speed, and depth can give you a range of how many samples it chooses from. :ecstatic:

3 Likes

Cheers.
I will definitely give this a test :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re doing more live stuff, I’d go OT mk1. Studio stuff, DT

Or for roughly the price of the Otmk2 you could get a second hand Ot mk 1 AND a DT :open_mouth:

1 Like

I am waiting for OT MK2 then will get that with AR MK2 since I have plenty to do work with right now with my Ableton Push and other stuff. So by end of next year will get these things. By then I will have several hundred samples to mangle for live performances making these a worthwhile investment. I am still digging into just the Ableton Push and Komplete 11 Ultimate VST, plugins and options that it will take me some time to max out what these can do for me.

1 Like

I picked up a DT a couple of days ago (and am already a happy OT mk1 owner).

Per cuckoo’s comparison video, you can achieve a lot of things on the OT mk1 that you can achieve on the DT, though maybe in different ways. DT of course then lacks a lot of the deeper mangling features, loop & timestretch, multiple LFOs, IO, arp and effects of the OT.

Some significant positive aspects of the DT for me are:

• most obviously, hardware and GUI-wise the DT is a half sized box with, generally, a much better layout, a better screen. - The square illuminated buttons in two compact rows of 8 and precision encoders on the DT are a big improvement (the OT II will have them)
  • it has shallower functionality (which is a good thing for focused, fast creative flow on the DT despite that the OT is still very usable after a bit of practice). Where there are limitations in DT functions compared to their parallel function on the OT (e.g. Filters) I like the DT simplicity: you can still sculpt and modulate for achieving the results you want, but with fewer options you work more quickly and stay focused on your musical idea rather than programming tweakerie
  • DT sequencer conditionality is a big plus for coming up with new ideas
  • DT reverb, delay and overall sound seems more hifi or dynamic to my ears
  • navigating samples and assignment just seems much easier and intuitive, as is the flatter self-contained structure
  • DT is midi class compliant out of the box and great for plugging into IOS, Organelle or PC etc to sequence them and sample.
  • I can still midi-loop with a short cable and use the midi side to LFO the audio tracks if I need to.

I think DT’s real distinct role in my studio will be as a tactile 1/2 sized hub to be used with other gear that does everything you really need to create and capture new ideas and is a pleasure to interact with. The DT can then be disconnected from all but power so you can continue your work away from your other machines. It is a very smart alternative to the AKAI MPC Live in that the DT feels like an engaging instrument rather than an IPAD/DAW and in a very portable form.

I will seriously consider OB premium to move material and multi-track to my DAW.

So for me OT Mk1 + DT > OT Mk2, assuming the price of either side of the equation is similar.

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m new to this forum. Great discussions, good info! :slight_smile:

Been studying Elektron Octatrack and Digitakt video’s for quite some time now.
I have the same question. DT or OT? I have no Elektron gear (yet).

I have an OP-1 and use it a lot. I would like a sampler/drum machine to add to it, which can turn an idea in my head into music, fast. Lately I prefer to make music in my living room (or anywhere), create something there and mix/arrange it in Ableton live (in the studio) later on (for me this is the “work” part, less fun).

I’m leaning towards the DT as the OT seems a bit overwhelming to me, in terms of the amount of functions it has. I’m afraid I will get stuck in exploring functionalities in stead of actually making music. At the same time these possibilities are very impressive. I’m sure the OT will surprise me in a a good way during a creative process. But from what I’ve seen on YT, I think the OP-1 and the DT (+ some midi synced synths I have) will be the best solution for what I like to do.

But…I find it so difficult as I’m really impressed with the OT as well, so I’m running around in circles. Questions like; will I miss the time stretching function when buying the DT?

It’s a luxery problem. Any advice or thoughts are most welcome! :slight_smile:

3 Likes