New Octatrack MK II or Digitakt?

I think that for now, I will just save up for my three dream gears: Octatrack, Rytm and Virus!
I can get by with my laptop/Ableton and Microkorg setup for the next year or so.
BUT, If I end up getting a travel heavy job, the OP-1 would be great way to pass time in hotel and planes as well. Pair that with Rytm for travel days after work to unwind and hook up a travel rock guitar for mad fun.

What do you mean by sound lock? Like the A4 does where you can put a different sound from the sound pool on each step on one track? If thatā€™s what you mean the digitakt does that.

DT only does sample locks like OT, different sample, same parameter settingsā€¦ Analogs lock sounds which include all parameter settingsā€¦

3 Likes

Wait, you CAN actually lock different samples per step?

And you say it adopts the track parameter settings?

1 Like

Alright let me try againā€¦ :grinning:
On DT and OT, you can lock samples per step but they play through the current settings of the parameter pages, your just switching sampleā€¦ ā€œsample lockā€
On analogs the locks contain all parameter page settings including sample for Rytm and override all current parameter page settings per stepā€¦ ā€œsound lockā€

5 Likes

That could be ideal, actually.

MDUW Up for trade! I will accept a non-UW MD AND a DT :smiley:

1 Like

BUT with the ease of use resampling- you COULD make it sorta a trig locked thing and STILL be able to have that sorta universal parameter thing.

Oh! Glad to see with Elektronā€™s simplest sound creation device, the possibilities just are still vast!

EDIT: Is there still a neighbor track condition?

Ha, I wasnā€™t sure if you got me or not so I tried to be uber clearā€¦
Definitely still pretty sweet, just differentā€¦ You can do this on rytm too by just parameter locking the sample instead of using an actual sound lock, probably with the synth section offā€¦

Edit: we typed at the same time, this post should be before Ryanā€™s above

This is true! Iā€™m gonna have to give the olā€™ Rytm another go. Iā€™d like to try and figure out how to build a custom Ableton rack and maybe be able to Push P-Lock steps on thereā€¦That plus a rack for the A4- gonna have an analog powerhouse :slight_smile:

1 Like

DT nei and anti-nei conditions confirmedā€¦ :nerd:

3 Likes

Have you tried lfo to sample slot on Rytm, Itā€™s nutzā€¦ I imagine DT can do this tooā€¦

1 Like

Oh yeah! It was magical for the tabla sound pack they released!

1 Like

Thank you for making that clear open mike. Thatā€™s what I was meaning. Sound lock.

1 Like

the OTmk2 will sound exactly the same as the orginal OT. Its only a hardware upgrade. Since the the OT is a digital sampler, the coverters should sound the same. In theoryā€¦

Thats not true. Apparently the ADC has been updated so the inputs should be improved. The DAC as far as I know unfortunately hasnā€™t, so will sound the same
Nothing to do with it being a digital sampler

I didnt see any thing that said the convertors were updated so pardon me if its posted somewhere and i havent seen it. from what i understood it was a refresh and the audio / sampling components having been touched.

ADC is the only audible hardware update on OTmk2 as far as I know

I was looking into adding an OT to my setup (ambient sound tapestries). Then I read about Digitaktā€™s ability to import samples directly from a computer as well as its upcoming interface with Overbridge.

But DT is mono. Iā€™ve read that there are no plans for OB for OT or for OT to import from computer.

Mono is a non-starter for me, so DT is out. But Iā€™m wondering about Elektronā€™s decision to not add some of the upgrades it did add to DT to the update of the OTā€¦ could there be another box announced in the near future?

I would buy a DT/OT lovechild in an instant, but with DT fairly new on the market and OT MK2 not even released yet I donā€™t expect such a beast anytime soon. OT MK2 buyers would probably get out their pitchforks and march on Elektronā€™s HQ if something like that emerged in the next months.

4 Likes

The OT works great for ambient sound tapestries and many many other things. The OT opens as a removable disc in USB disc mode. Transferring samples from the computer to the OT is very easy.

I think with the OT is that it is first and foremost a live performance instrument. OB seems built for mainly studio work, generally speaking. Not to say that the OT wouldnā€™t benefit from OB, but they seem to want to keep it this way. Iā€™m fine with this personally, because OB isnā€™t necessary for me.

Also, the DT output is stereo and you can apparently pan your mono samples all around the overall stereo field.

3 Likes