New Octatrack MK II or Digitakt?

Hi there Elektronauts!

As an EDM artist, I am fascinated by Elektron gear and wanting to get either the new Octatrack MK II or the new Digitakt. I use Ableton Live on a laptop with Ableton Push 2 controller and want a lightweight non PC mobile rig for performing. A few of the guys here in San Diego have Elektron gear and love it. Since I have a Microkorg analog synth keyboard, what would be the more viable Elektron gear to buy? I am new to the world of Elektron and it is so confusing coming from software synths and computer DAWs! Hopefully I can check out some gear this weekend to get a better hands on feel. I really want something that can play drums and bass while I create melody on the keyboard and that fits well with the Korg MIDI keyboard analog synth that I use.

Thanks,
Ben

If you’re new to all things hardware, the Digitakt has a lower threshold to learn. But since you’re from the DAW world, its focused feature set might put you off, especially when you start to sample your Korg and learn about the true implications of a mono sampler.

The Octatrack takes some time to get into, but it’s worth the bother. It’s closer to where you’re coming from and for a non-Elektroner, I’m not sure it’s all that more confusing than the Digitakt.

4 Likes

Thanks then would go with the new Octatrack MKII. Now guess my question is, how is the Octatrack different than the Analog 4?

1 Like

The octatrack is a sampler.
The Analog four is a synthesizer.

7 Likes

If this is your question
The digitakt might be a good idea to start with

Dont look for DAW functionality
And dont underestimate deepness

1 Like
  • your Microkorg is not Analog. It’s a Digital/Virtual analog synth.
5 Likes

My suggestion also would be to have a deeper look at the digitakt. There are already a lot of helpful youtube videos online, where you can get a feeling for what it can do.
Most likely, it’s the easiest and cheapest way to enter the Elektron world :slight_smile: But still powerful

correct I meant that it has analog like features. My Moog Sub 37 is analog synth.

Ok so connecting the Digitakt to the Microkorg would give me lots of good drums and samples which is what I need to use instead of the laptop with ableton push for live performances.

1 Like

that’s an option, yes. You can also sequence your microkorg from the digitakt midi sequencer.

Let me elaborate, since I’m going against the stream here. The other advise offered here, is solid and good. The Digitakt is a great instrument. It sounds amazing, it’s easy enough to use and you’ll get stuff going with it in no time. Complete albums will be made with the Digitakt, if they haven’t already, and they’ll be great.

However. The Digitakt, for all its awesomeness, is a version of what you already have, albeit in an attractive and compact hardware box. While the workflow is different from a Push with Ableton, and that will generate new ideas on its own, it’s still closer to what you know.

But once you enter the realm of hardware samplers, you won’t go back. You’ll find stuff here you haven’t seen before and you’re going to get new ideas on workflow, music, loops, compositions and combinations of all this.

And there’s no sampler out there, that will allow you to travel to these strange new places, like the Octatrack. It really is a beacon that cuts through the entire world of music made with hardware. Once your brain starts to really get the Octatrack, it’ll fire up synapses that have just been waiting to come alive and make awesome stuff with your music.

I got the Digitakt when it was out, and I had the Octatrack on and off for about three years before. I sold the Octa to fund the Digi. Now, I’ve sold the Digitakt to fund my purchase of a Deluge.

So to be fair, I had the Digitakt for just a few weeks, and I was pretty productive with it when I had it. But I don’t miss it one bit. I miss the Octatrack almost on a daily basis, though, and I’m pretty sure that once I’ve learned the ropes of the Deluge, I’m going to get an Octatrack MKII.

Quite simply, my assumptions of the Digitakt being the sampler for me due to its more straight on approach, were wrong. It made me realise, and not until I’d sold it, that I really am an Octatrack person. And the reason for that is that it can take me to places I just didn’t know existed.

The Digitakt can do that, too, of course. It’s all in the hands of the musician. It’s a brilliant piece of gear. But I felt it was more a modern take on a traditional sampler, and not so much more (though that’s plenty enough and certainly a market with a void now), and I’m just not sure that my world needed another version of that, right now.

You’ve defined your needs on what you know now. But even if my advise has no substance for you, I can promise you one thing - once you get your hands on an Elektron device, your ideas of what you want to do, will change. And the Octatrack is a more interesting and versatile instrument to change together with.

11 Likes

Good insights here! Well, I am a computer guy and love to build and tinker with things so Octatrack MKII seems like the right gear along with a Minataur for mobile synthesis with my Microkorg setup. Chain them together and record in DAW for more fun and add live instruments and the Moog Sub 37 to the mix with Push 2 at home for a riot of tracks.

The most experienced EDM guys that I have jammed with recently all have Elektron gear! No laptops, no PCs all hardware synths and samplers. AND they are really awesome too in how they create sounds. So for the long haul, the Octatrack can it do the same things as the Digitakt but more like sampling, sequencer, etc?

Well, the Digitakt can sample and it’s a very direct and quick approach. It’s a great sampler! Watch those stereo fx from your other sources, tho, they’ll go mono into the Digitakt. And the sequencer is also great. So it can do all that.

Where the Octatrack shines, is what you can do with the result once it’s in there. You can just warp, twist and turn it in ways that the Digitakt can’t.

The workflow argument, which is solid, is also in a void right now. The Octatrack MKII has done major workflow enhancements on the hardware, and that could make all the difference. The OS is what it is, but just by placing buttons in other places, adding a few and changing the others, it could just kill the entire myth of the Octatrack being difficult to learn. A friend of mine has given the prototype a go, and he went home, sold his MKI and is chewing on his nails until the MKII is out.

So if you’re not in a hurry, at least wait until the Octatrack MKII is out and see what the grapevine says on the new workflow.

2 Likes

I should add, though, that both instruments are pretty terrific. You can’t go wrong with either one and they hold their own on the used market. So it’s not like a blue pill - red pill thing. Your specific description of what you want to do, both samplers can do. The Digitakt perhaps more immediate and spot on the result quicker, but the Octatrack will warp your music in overall ways that you’re not asking for now, maybe won’t need, but certainly won’t know until you’ve given it a go.

4 Likes

I’d say get a second hand OT mk1 or DT when OT mk2 is out…
You should get some for a good price.
See if you gel with Elektron way of life or not :wink:

1 Like

The Cuckoo video comparing the two would definitely be something you should watch if you want to make an informed decision.

8 Likes

Thanks yeah I think at this point that I will wait to buy until I can get some hands on time with the Elektron gear and watch the videos. Right now I jam with my Ableton 2 Push controller and Korg synthesizer.

1 Like

As a new owner of OT and A4 i strongly advise you to watch as many YT videos as you can. Those things have a workflow of their own and it is hard to compare it to anything else. It will make you say WTF more than you ever did. Combined.

On the other hand once you pass that stage of confusion it all starts to make a lot of sense. I use it in studio environment and for example I ruled out beats at this point. You can program them nicely but with only 4 outs I have no room left for sound design and this is where OT is a beast. So I’m getting the MPC touch (most likely. Still watching videos of other gear but pretty much set on it) to cover beats and I’m leaving the OT for sound tweaking and making weird sounds. That crossfader is such a joy to use and opens up a lot of doors.

1 Like

I second this… OT mk1 all the way. Either Digitakt or OT would be a great compliment to your Push setup, but the OT is perfect for loading stems from a DAW since it’s stereo and 24-bit (oh and much greater sample storage).

OT mk2’s biggest advantages are the OLED screen, the higher headroom inputs, and perhaps some workflow enhancements. The screen might be important to you and that’s understandable, but I’ve had no problem with how my mk1’s screen displays information after 6+ years. The improved inputs could potentially make a big difference, but that’s yet to be heard. The outputs will be the same though, and if you’re loading stuff from a DAW the difference won’t matter at all. The extra buttons and labels will likely be helpful, but navigating the mk1 is fine once you put some time into it.

All of that just to say the OT mk1 is still an amazing instrument and will be for many years to come. I think it’s worth trying to find a used one for a decent price then perhaps getting a Digitakt later on if you’re into it.

3 Likes

Thanks. Sorry to expose my ignorance again as a noob, but I must be stuck on an infinite stupidity loop today!

So if I want a good basic mobile live performance rig, what should I get to replace my Ableton laptop Push gear?

For example, I want something basic like this with room for expansion and ability to also connect to my DAW at home:

Analog synthesizer
Keyboard for playing notes
Mixer
Sequencer
Sampler
Drum and FX kit

Right now, my laptop with Ableton Push 2 does all of this. BUT I want a pure mobile hardware solution.
I also ordered a Microkorg keyboard but not sure how to add this or whether better to send it back for another keyboard synth?

Many thanks Elektronauts!
Ben

Hello Ben,

If you are new to hardware then I strongly suggest that you only add one piece of gear at a time to your setup. You already have a Microkorg keyboard/synth. Buying an Octatrack or a Digitakt would give you a rudimentary mixer/sequencer/sampler/drum machine/effects all in one package (the OT being less rudimentary than the Digitakt). You can learn a lot and make a lot of music with an OT and a Microkorg. Why not start there and add more when you are ready?

12 Likes