New MFB drum machine 301 pro

Woah

1 Like

Started a thread on this yesterday :+1:

1 Like

Loving my 301. Hereā€™s a recently finished set where Iā€™m running it through a Strymon Volante. Iā€™m letting the Volca handle kick duties to bypass the delay and for a bit more control.

Hereā€™s a closeup of the custom paint job by @theeesoviet:

3 Likes

It sounds pretty good to me. Might have to try it out. I love the MFB Schlagzwerg cymbals.

1 Like

Still chasing one of theseā€¦
Listening to Meridians tonight.

1 Like

oh nice, hope you like!

I didnā€™t realize they had discontinued, though Iā€™m not entirely surprised.
Looks like the 501 Pro is still in production? At least on the MFB site.

1 Like

I finally got my MFB 301 2 weeks ago, and I really like it.

Thereā€™s enough body to the sound, and the clap is not bad as I originally thought. The weird ā€œpopsā€ are great.
The bass-drum is far from a 909, but I could layer it with DN if needed.

3 Likes

yeah those ā€œpopsā€ are fantastic. Such a fun box, Iā€™d say the bass drum is the only circuit Iā€™m not wild about.

3 Likes

Are those still for sale new?

1 Like

Nope. MFB went through a hard time and havenā€™t m/any products for sale at the moment.

1 Like

Perfect little box to set up on a rack to side and get some nice sounds out of.

Luckily I ended up scoring the TanzbƤr 1 today :slight_smile:

Not like Iā€™d need this but Iā€™m kind of a drum machine collector (that uses the drum machines for making music) and could see this getting recorded for a track idea once in a while.

4 Likes

Setup tips for the Elektron user from the slightly inscrutable manual:

Set the MIDI channel: press MIDI, then play a note on target channel, done.
Enable MIDI velocity reception: press MIDI, then 1, done.
Optional: enable MIDI CC reception: press MIDI, then 2, done.
Prevent the internal sequencer playing when you press one of the keys: press MIDI, then 4, done. (This makes it listen for an analog sync that isnā€™t coming).
Save all of this: press MIDI, then press REC, done.

4 Likes

If you still have the MFB and are interested in trading for a certain obscure drum box, hit me up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty set on keeping the TanzbƤr at this point.

Itā€™s probably my favorite sounding analog one. I used it on a track I released in May and probably will use it again :slight_smile:

Although Iā€™m curious now :face_with_monocle:

Next acquisition will probably be a Prophet 6, so Iā€™m going to try not to acquire anything new until after that one.

1 Like

Oh sorry thought we were talking about the 301ā€¦ thatā€™s what I get for jumping back into a thread after a few months :slight_smile:

1 Like

We were but I ended up snagging a TanzbƤr :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s really important to tweak decay here, to get tight drums (as discussed in this video)

1 Like

Love the sound, although mine is the 500 pro, itā€™s the reason why I havenā€™t let go of it yet, just wish there was a Loopop video breaking down the inscrutable interface as i found it difficult to figure out, and Iā€™ve certainly forgotten how to use it after leaving it alone for a while. I think midi sequencing externally is the way forward.