New MFB drum machine 301 pro

the 301 pro and OP-Z should pair quiet nicely especially with cc automation :nerd_face:

And more so. The Lite is awesome.

So if you have both Tanzmaus and Tanzbar Lite, then there’s nothing to gain with the 301?

Something I thought of, is that the lack of any controls on the box, is a big advantage for Digitone.

Reason being that you don’t need to remember knob positions, or dig up samples or SysEx to go with a project - everything is inside and in CC automation.

The 301 is quite different sounding to the tanzbar range, more similar to a CR-78 actually. The cymbals are very metallic. Here’s a quick vid I did tonight sequencing the 301 with my OT :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I would say so, yes.

The 301 provides fantastic value on its own. It sounds great, the sequencer’s not bad given the straight forward nature of the drummer, you can p-lock and tweak it more than you’d think and it just cuts through really well. I do believe the damn thing even supports polyrytms.

It runs on USB power, so for awhile, I had it hooked up to my Blackbox and just sampled from it, without a single wall power cord in sight.

But it is what it is, and in time, you’ll exhaust it and sell it. Its marvel is more what you can do for such a silly great price, not for what it does if you disregard that factor.

If you’re new to the MFB sound, though, it’s a fantastic introduction.

4 Likes

Anyone using this with a Digitone? Sounds or videos very welcome.

Just got one of these.

Is there a CC for instrument level? I know you can adjust it on the box itself, but from CCs… ?

1 Like

Sorry mate, don’t know😊

According to its manual, there is not.

1 Like

Yeah I saw in the manual it wasn’t listed, just wondered if it hadn’t been listed - couldn’t be bothered to cycle through every cc to see if any of them did anything…
Bit weird they didn’t cc it though, considering you can adjust it on the box itself.

1 Like

Hey, just bought one .

Planning to control it with Octatrack .

Can I assign let’s say midi 1-6 channel , then control each instrument by CC’S in octatracks midi sequencer ?

For example :
Midi 1 - kick
midi 2 - sd
3 - clap … and so on …?

In the manual, it mentions http://mfberlin.de/wp-content/uploads/MFB301PRO_MANUAL_ENG.pdf

“The reception of velocity can be enabled by pressing 1 (LED lit) or disabled (LED off). To do so press MIDI and select the condition by pressing button 1.”

Perhaps this allows managing the level?

Ah didn’t even think of trying the velocity d’oh!

Don’t think you can change the midi channels, but sequencing it through the digitakt, I had all 8 channels going to midi channel 1 but the note of each channel assigned to the note of each part, so punching each midi button triggered each part… And the ccs for each part matched to the relevant channel, so even though it’s still just using channel 1 it “feels” like each channel is separate. If that makes sense…?

Any more users out there?

Struggling to choose between this and the Division Department 01/IV

The MFB 301 Pro is not fun to use, but it does sound nice. You REALLY have to know how to Program MIDI and CC.

I made this beat today to post it on Craigslist for $120.00. NOBODY wants it because it looks odd…

Everyone wants knobs and song mode.

:- )

3 Likes

Hi everyone. First post here so go easy! I am looking at this thing and wondering if the kick and perhaps the snare would sound much better if there was an exp envelope added to the pitch of both. This would be very possible on the Octatracks LFO section with a one shot trig. Am I missing something here? If this makes sense I am definitely making the purchase.

Is there anything else like it? A drum module with basically no on-board controls. It has its advantages :slight_smile: