New Syntakt Machine Predictions

you know if it would be synthesis, it can be ride, china, crash, hihat, splash, … :wink:

3 Likes

It all depends on how close it can get. I haven’t met a synth that could synthesize 909 cymbals to my liking but I never had a MD.

Right now I seem to favor filtering the white noise with the resonance peaking around that 909 magic zone. Only really works for a closed hat.

1 Like

MnM drums, voice synthesis
MD PI (good for cymbals)
Karplus / Comb Filters
User Wavetables

3 Likes

Poor CY Alloy, everybody hates you, everybody wants you dead. Did you commit a crime ? We don’t know, but the people have spoken.

Here’s what it would sound like if CY Alloy (4 of them, actually) was executed by electric chair :

Goodbye Alloy.

10 Likes

Well, of course if I’d need an 1:1 909 cymbal, I’d use a sample. I think more of “inspired by” all the metallic stuff that can be heard on thousands of records, not only 909 but the cymbals and rides in breakbeats …

2 Likes

:open_mouth: If anything tips me over the edge to buy syntakt, it will be SY TOY.

EDIT: Ooops sorry, just noticed the thread topic, didn’t mean to derail.

6 Likes

ALLOY IS ALIVE AND RAVING … and friends join in!
Alloy = Ride, China and Rave Stab

11 Likes

Carbon is my go-to wobbly sub-bass element! I actually really like it in my dnb productions, but admittedly rarely bother to explore it further

I feel a sound pack coming up…

1 Like

Not really a Karplus substitute but I’ve made some pluck sounds out of Sy Bits pulse shapes with pwm that get pretty close to sounding like a stringed instrument to my ears. Would be nice with a dedicated machine for this though.

I pretty much agree with you 100% here. I never reach for those machines, all the melodic sounds I make come from Swarm (my favorite), Bits and Raw. I.e. the machines that don’t sound like a Model:Cycles.

The good thing is that the strong dislike of the Alloy machine seems to be pretty widespread, so it would be crazy for Elektron not to act on it. But then again, they’ve been doing drum machines for decades, so maybe they have their reasons for not making it sound better already? :grimacing:

1 Like

two :wink:

2 Likes

This stuff? :wink:

If yes, Sy Tone got the wobble build-in and more :wink:

3 Likes

I was thinking of a small synth with multiple engines. I remembered the Microfreak exists.

If it can be on the Microfreak, It should be able to be designed for the Syntakt. besides the vocoder.

:eyes:

I guess I’m one of the few that is pretty happy with the hats that I’m getting from the ST… sure I can see why CY-ALLOY can be annoying but it can be finessed into nice areas. But between the various analogue engines on track 12, the UTIL-NOISE on the analogue machines and sculpting hats from the SY-BITS/CP-VINTAGE digital machines I’m pretty happy.

What I would hope for in a new machine would be for them to revisit and do an updated version of the various DPRO machines from the MNM… who knows, I think the MNM has a big birthday next year and so maybe that would be good for a few wee celebratory tip of the hat…

4 Likes

This isn’t a prediction as much as it is a dream, but I’d love to see a SY PWM machine that would act as a 2-oscillator tone that could do pwm on a range of different shapes, ie not just a square. Similar to how Zencore and the Hydrasynth does it regardless of wave shape.

1 Like

i have high hopes for future machines, whatever they may be.

4 Likes

Agree I’ve been making some lovely string machine sounds with it!

I also have high hopes - I’m probably not the average Syntakt user as my music isn’t beats driven, I’d like another chord machine with really lush juno type sounds. Overall I’m really happy with the sounds I can create with what I already have.

3 Likes

I’d much rather they add voice sharing across tracks, a.k.a. polyphony. That way I could dial in any sound I want for my chords. Plus, I personally hate the workflow of dialing in chords in that chords machine, it kills my workflow entirely to have to do the math and think about whether the sixth key of a root minor chord is a major or a minor chord. If it allowed you to just play it as you would normally do a chord on the pads, it’d hate it less. But that’s just me. :blush:

3 Likes