New FADERFOX MIDI controller system for ELEKTRON devices (12-track-design for ANALOG RYTM)

Waiting for my OT in the mail, and I have a Arturia Minilab Mk2 which I was planning to use for controlling parameters.

An obvious drawback is that the Artutia only has MIDI through USB.

But appart from that, are there any other benefits of using devices like the faderfox MX12, PC4 or EC4? Compared to Arturia Minilab Mk2.

Regards
Frimann

Behringer has some old fader and knob controllers that are motorized and run through 5pin midi. Solid units.

1 Like

When using something like FaderFox EC4 and Midi Fighter Twister, then in order for the indicator of the value on the endless encoder to be correct, the OT would need to send out feedback about the position I assume. I’ve heard that not all devices do this, so I’m wondering how it is with the OT? Does this functionality work?

So to make this clear, what I’m asking is that will the value on the EC4 or the Twister change if I change the corresponding value directly on the OT? And when initially connecting the EC4 or Twister to the OT, will the initial values be correct?

I’m asking since I’ve had problems in the past using midi controllers with non-endless encoders, and the corresponding values always jump when I first move the knob, due to the fact that the knob is set to a different value than is set on the corresponding device that I’m controlling.

This has probably been answered here before but I failed to find the answer. :slight_smile:

In short, most of the time, yes. But for it to be always working as expected, units must make a cc dump everytime you change patch. This has proven to be not always the case.
I have a pc12 on the way, I’ll report back with the octatrack if you want.

Not automatically. You need to send CC61 to the OT (CC parameter values request) and the OT will respond with CC messages for all its audio CCs.

Afterwards when you change single parameters on the OT and the OT is configured to send CCs for parameter changes sync’ing works out-of-the-box.

4 Likes

I sooooo wish the other Elektron boxes would do this too… See also discussion here Rytm + MIDI controller

This is the thing keeping me from getting a MX12 for my AR.

You saved me a(nother) dive into the manual ! I owe you one sir ! Thanks !

1 Like

I just dug a bit the faderfoxPC12 manual, since I have a Nord Drum 2 which unfortunately won’t cc dump its values when changing preset.
There is a command to send out snapshot and actual values on the PC12.
I suppose you can match PC12 presets/snaps to the one of in your receiving devices so that init values will be the same on both sides.
Then the Faderfox will catch up the stored value whenever you cross it, effectively matching the two devices without jump. To be confirmed but seems ok on paper.
I suppose this function is included in all FF products.

1 Like

But the PC12 has encoders with a fixed value, not endless encoders, so a CC dump from the OT wouldn’t do anything I guess? I would think that the CC dump would be used to set the value of the endless encoders.

Or am I misunderstandig something here?

1 Like

How would you go about sending a CC61 message. Could that be done f.x. with a button on the MX12?

There is a catch function…
For exemple : PC12 encoder is at 22, octa dumps its value @56.
You move the encoder and it doesn’t send anything until it crosses catch value, then it starts sending new values…

Never seen a midi controller with potentiometers, that has a catch function over midi parameter feedback.
That’s really cool! Does it work well?

Yeah, just use a button or push function of an encoder to send cc61.

I don’t know tbh, I’m waiting for it to arrive. I just red the manual for now. Maybe I’ll have some bad surprise, who knows ? But I’m pretty confident I will manage something with the bome box just in case. Compare midi dump to button pos and then send increment or decrement of 1 depending on result compared to 64 ( mid value ). Absolute to relative ftw. :ok_hand:

My novation peak also had catch values on potentiometers, was very handy ! Saved a lot of headache.

Sure, lots of synths with pots and/or faders have a catch/pickup/snap mode.
Never seen it on a midi controller, though.

I just checked, even the smaller Faderfox PC4 has snap mode.
I prefer the feeling of potentiometers, especially for some wild tweaking and the PC4 fits perfectly next to an OT…

Editing on a midi controller with endless encoders always feels like operating a vending machine.

Hi all,

Can anyone give me help with the MX12/PC12?

I have connected the Analog Rytm MKII and Analog 4 MKII exactly how it shows in the picture below.

I have the MX12 set to template 21 (Rytm) and the PC12 set to template 22
Iv’e also set the midi channels as suggested in the picture, AR channels 1-12 and then A4 channels 13-16

My problem is that my A4 track 1 is coming the the MX12 on channel 9 for some reason but I can’t control the volume/slider of the A4 tracks 2,3 and 4 for some reason which baffles me Iv’e been on 10 hours now, not sure if I have everything setup right in the Elektrons although the MX12 is controlling the AR just fine.

My thinking was to use the MX12 as a mixer for my AR and use the PC12 for freely assigning AR and A4 parameters.

Anyone know exact setting I need on both my Elektrons please OR do I need to lose 4 channels on the MX12 in order to accommodate tracks 1-4 from the A4?

Thanks

Hi there,
I don’t know if I can ask a help here… Please let me know where drop it if not the good place.

I own the MX12 NEW MODULE as a controller for the octatrack mk2.

I have a MIDI ‘misconfiguration’ sync & transport problem with the mx12.
Computer > OT sync well, transport well
MX12 > OT Faders and knobs all configured well, values changing on OT
Computer > MX12 > no sync, no transport

Can anyone can tell me a hint on what is happening here ?

MX12 Firmware update 1.04
MX12 Routing [1,1,n,n]
MX12 in1: Computer
MX12 in2:nothing
MX12 USB:PCU
MX12 out1:OctaTrack
MX12 out2:nothing

Hello hello !!
Just bough and received this little nicey box ^^
Anyone with this config (Octatrack MKII / Analog Four MKII for me)?
Maybe we can share some tips for a better workflow?
For now I chose preset 22, plugged everything right I guess.
But I used to put OT in master for transport, clock and prog changes.
Not I am a little lost…
I can’t use a free midi channel as theres no free channel now for auto in prog ch as all are use by MX12, same for AUTO ch in MIDI config in OT.
I am stuck here.
Any point of view of your use of MX12 is more than welcome ))
Thanks in advance !!

1 Like

you have to route the system realtime commands separately:

• go in setup mode and press green button 2 > routing
  • pressing the blue button > all display dots are lit
  • program same routing here (for instance 11nn)
    that’s it
3 Likes

Hi,
For those using Faderfox midi controllers with their Octatrack do you know if you can send multiple notes with the same button press so that you can have one button do : CUE TRACK 1 + UNCUE TRACK2 + ARM TRACK 1 simultaneously.

Or do you know any other midi controllers than can do this?

Thanks, Tom

@faderfox hey Mathias! I just wanted to confirm that with the AR or A4 there is no way to use the SNAP function, right? As they don’t output feedback data to the PC12 I will always have to manually move all the pots to the correct position if I change my KIT on the machines, or projects, etc., correct?

And that for the Octatrack the SNAP function works as intended because it can output feedback data, also correct?