NAMM 2020 Rumors, Wishes, and Speculation Thread

Please do tell Lippold! He might fix what you don’t like. Better for all of us!

And no NI news (at least not yet). Don’t actually plan to buy or use any NI gear (been there already and sold it all), but was curious if they’d surface after their layoffs in Q4 and their nebulous statement on consolidating business areas.

On an Elektron note. Sad to hear no news for winter NAMM, and honestly holding off on a DT or OT to see if something new pops up. A lot of comments from folks on a desire to see Overbridge coming out of beta. But I’m curious on any new MK2 or 3 models.

1 Like

In a way, seeing OB finally released as a stable thing with most major bugs crushed out of existence would give the devs more time to work on other things. So, I’d say a lot of people want it done and dusted sooner rather than later because it’s taking too much time already and we want more boxes of joy

Nothing from NI as yet. I was quietly hoping for Ableton to show off something too. Alas, nothing yet. Maybe at Superbooth in Berlin where both companies are based :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Responding to this post in the other thread.

So given that Behringer waited til after the show last year to announce the Crave, one can suspect that they still have a couple of tricks left after the RD-6 announcement.

BTW: Moderators?

What’s this difference between this and the NAMM 2020 Actual thread? A distinction without a difference.

I think the difference for the actual thread was that stuff in that thread has been officially confirmed by the manufacturer. Now that the show is underway I’m not sure there’s much difference. Still, we can speculate in this one.

2 Likes

I keep them straight this way: Only one has prematurely announced the death of drummers.

3 Likes

I bet elektron themselves would be the first to desire that. Out of curiosity i keep an eye on the subsequent beta release threads and i can t help wondering what else could have been developed with the time and resources that went into overbridge so far, and will continue to go into it due to the nature of software and PC tech.

That’s why agile methodology exists imo. Always be shipping. :slight_smile: tech is always going to change, but at some point you have to come out of beta. A good team of talented developers can do a lot in a very short period of time. It’s literally just time and money when It comes to SW. Hardware is a whole different ballgame.

Well isn t it the catch that they re developing software that has to work on computers (and not just win and mac, but also with a range of different daw’s) AND with their hardware? If it needed just a little code sprint it would have been done long ago.

The dev resources they’ve spent will continue to serve them well far into the future, no other manufacturer has attempted something so comprehensive and it will set them apart from the pack even more than they already are. Personally though I’d prefer individual outs for tracks and FX, but I have outboard gear. For someone working in the DAW, OB is a fantasy made real. They are getting close, it works perfectly for me already every time I’ve used it with no pops, glitches, or dropouts and the quality is pristine. Only problem is the MIDI sequencing issue, so maybe I shouldn’t say perfectly. Wouldn’t be surprised if this latest NAMM-adjacent release is very very close to an RC.

1 Like

Access Virus TI?

4 Likes

How many channels of audio does the VST bring in? I know there is a control VST with audio but not sure what the specs are for virus. DT over OB streams all internal track separately, FX separately, and both inputs separately in addition to the control and total recall. 12 simultaneous from one box is awesome, not even considering that you can run multiple boxes all tracked in simultaneously. Happy to edit my comment if I’m wrong, maybe I shouldn’t have made such a broad statement.

edit: Looked this up, seems that the TI VST allows a maximum of three simultaneous channels of streaming audio. Might be wrong, but this was the only info I could find.

This gets me excited.

9 Likes

I have both modules, the vector sequencer and its expander, it is an amazing sequencer.

Jim is always updating it. We can see on the video that in the next update it will be controlable using a launchpad!

4 Likes

Just got one - it’s an amazing sequencer. Does all the things I like doing with my MidiBox seq but without the unintuitive setup. Highly recommended!

5 Likes

Ah, the Agile cargo cult!

“move fast and break things” :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: It’s mostly broken my morale, while some aspects work more waterfall than before, and responsibility is put on the individual to self-organize themselves into solutions while management bloats…

But that’s enough of that!

1 Like

Interesting, I really like the shifts in groove from that video. It seems like a great performance sequencer, I tried a Midibox Seq and a Pyramid but just didn’t gel from the start.

I do however love the Elektron workflow and this seems a great way to get a more natural flow going.

I do however want to not drop $700 offhand after selling off the last two, would you mind telling me what you think of yours, how you use it, how you might sell the concept of the workflow and what makes it stand out in use? Just a basic reason you like it, doesn’t have to answer all of those questions. Thanks!

@Dataflu also interested in your feels if you have the time.

Eeek. I do feel your pain as I’ve worked in both good and bad dev shops. Anyhoo - My main point is that I’d love to see Overbridge come out of beta, as it’s taking a very long time to production release (years). I saw this on the net and didn’t believe it when I saw it (referencing the initial launch at 2014, then big release in 2017 and so on - all on beta vs. production releases).

" Overbridge, initially launched in 2014, is the software used by Elektron gear to seamlessly connect hardware and software, allowing it to run as a stand-alone application or as VST plugins in a DAW.
The second version was announced at NAMM 2017 along with its [Digitakt drum machine], but users have had to wait two years to unlock the instrument’s full potential."

That’s a management problem if you ask me. Regardless, I have high hopes, and it is good to see continuous improvement with the multiple OB updates these past few months.

I understand what you’re saying there, but i see no need from the outside to be so reductive. Models are an attempt to reorganize to an often arbitrary standard, not necessarily a cure for broad dysfunction either.

And nobody wants their fast iteration firmware to crash on stage, no?

3 Likes

it seems this years trend is getting smaller synthvariations out (pro3, sub 25, akai, verbos) or returning vintage (behringers 100 and 55, arp 2600). ok, keystep pro is one exception (though not surprising), but where is innovation gone? the most interesting sounds i heard so far came from the new stereo modules from noise engineering.

Did anyone hear something surprising or inspiring at namm?