NAMM 2018 - News, Announcements hopes and rumours

Nothing revealed of huge interest to me at NAMM this year
I may buy the Digitone, but in no hurry as it’s more a ‘wouldn’t mind it’ want, than a ‘I need it now’ want.
Maybe in a year or so when OB will be out and running smooth I’ll have a look.
Some cool new Euro at NAMM I’ve yet to check out though
Overall happy as will save my money and wait for the next big thing.
Eventide H9000 is calling my name though, just wondering if it’s worth selling my car for :joy:

2 Likes

Seems to have continuously variable waveform LFO. I’m not sure I have seen that before…

Well a lot of synths can. If there is an oscillator with variable waveforms and a mod matrix which you could use it as a mod source. Also any modular system or a semimodular synth like 0-coast, mother32… Always remember that LFO stands for low frequency oscillator. It´s no magic to have a lfo with a flexible waveform.

Except that normal oscillators don’t operate on low frequency so they are kind of useless for modulation purposes.

YUDO NEUMAN-2, SYNTHESIZER. Based on the NAT (noise added tone) sound engine. Looks very expensive.

3 Likes

Audio rate (“normal”) oscillators are certainly very useful for modulation, for example FMing of a filter or another oscillator. But audio rate oscillators by their nature are not suitable for slow modulation, which is what I think your point was.

No idea what on earth it is or what it does but boy does it look like a spaceship.

That looks ridiculously bonkers. If James Bond villains were into synths, I’d guess this would be it.

2 Likes

And very ugly! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl: nice one…

It just doesn’t make sens to buy a extreme expensive hardware synths without any knobs and faders. The Ipad with a decent app and a midi controller keyboard is perfect and much more flexible. Of course I haven’t heard any sounds, but I don’t expect anything that’s not already doable with modern software synthesizer. The homepage looks almost like a fake product, that will never be shipped after paying for it :wink: No specs at all, no sound demos… I’m sure Deadmouse already got a few of them, just for collection purposes…

1 Like

Yes, that was my point. Audio rate modulation is a bit different thing in my opinion from modulation done with an LFO (which was the original subject).

So the new Behringer synth does seem a bit unique considering it has continuously variable waveform Low frequency oscillator. As it also has patchbay, the LFO waveform can probably be modulated from some other source which in turn could create some pretty interesting modulations. I’m certainly looking forward to hearing more about it, as there seem to be some other interesting knobs too (like VCA bias): https://i.imgur.com/EPqTGYu.jpg

I think this will have good feedback in 20 years

In twenty years, synthesis will be done per thinking :slight_smile:

Not to be a dick about it, technically they are exactly the same thing though, the only difference being the rate at which the modulation source is oscillating. Sure the results will sound different, just as a slow LFO and a faster LFO will give different results, but it is still the same thing, regardless of opinions. :wink:

1 Like

Well, we can agree to disagree about this. The terms “audio rate” and “low frequency” mean different things, so I stand by my claim that they are different kinds of modulation.

Sorry, I wasn’t disagreeing that audio rate and low frequency are different things, I was just trying to explain that in the context of modulation, speed is the only difference… Anyway sorry for taking the thread off topic.

I thought James Bond villains were into the Blofeld!?

4 Likes

Right?

So if you had to choose one, this or MB2? I’m leaning the 3.9k solely on the “east coast” options…

Verbos 8-tap Delay module: