NAMM 2018 - News, Announcements hopes and rumours

GAS-wise, the strongest I have might be for the sampling PO.

My strongest GAS though is still for products that already existed before NAMM 2018 - a new mixer with at least 3 aux sends, and possibly a portable Eurorack case for my Folktek Mescaline (if I ever decide to play live with it - not taking it out to a gig in that included frame).

Off topic but why do you gas for live 10?

Thanks, yes that’s what I meant, non-eurorack. Awesome! I’ve been looking for a non-euro with a wave folder :slight_smile: I guess it has an external audio-in somewhere on that patch bay. Imagine wave folding a digitone being sequenced to mutate sounds per step. You could get some crazy alien intellijel cylonix shapeshifter shizzle going on, without the need for Euro… something I’ve been looking for ages, but euro was too expensive.

1 Like

what mixer are you looking at? 3 aux sends sound nicee

For me, the top contenders are the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK, KMI K-Mix, and Zoom L-12. Each has its pros and cons. Considered the Yamaha MG16XU, which has 4 aux sends, but then I realized how huge it is.

Was surprised nobody mentioned this yet - it looks like a toy… well is IS a toy! But it’s also a fun looking synth

1 Like

Okay, maybe GAS is too strong a term, but I am more excited about Live 10 than most hardware I’m seeing lately. It has several smaller workflow features I’ve been wanting for a long time plus a nice wavetable synth and echo effect that are perfect for my style of music (dub techno and dub influenced electronic). I never bought massive or serum so it’s nice to finally have a good wavetable synth. The tighter integration with Push 2 makes it better for me as well, being very visually-oriented, I appreciate the new graphics rather than just graphical dials. Like I say, I still have hardware gear lust (Behringer D), but not for $$$$ worth of gear at this time.

4 Likes

A question: Is there possibilities that they will be more gear unveiled? Or was that all?
Where is Roland? I was hoping that they might show a new synth…

Current personal highlights for me, are: Quantum, Digitone and some Eurorack Moduls…

empress zoia. :()

4 Likes

Seems like, these days, Roland unveils more percussion and guitar (Boss) stuff at NAMM while saving synth stuff for Superbooth, 808/909 day etc.

2 Likes

For those who haven’t been checking the Behringer thread:

4 Likes
7 Likes

I had a KMI K-Mix. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t great either. The touch faders were finicky and I found my self always using the shift slider to move them in increments rather than trying to slide to specific spot like a normal fader. Maybe I just have sweaty hands.

I had to fight with it a couple of times where I thought it was broken. I mostly used it in standalone mode but I tried it with my iPad a couple of times. It didn’t work at all with AUM and was very finicky. After I did that I couldn’t get it to pass through sound for the life of me in stand alone mode. Turns out you have to change settings back through the software to get it to work in stand alone mode again.

I was sort of fed up with it and decided I didn’t need any of the other features. I pulled out my mackie vlz mixer and plugged all the same gear in and the sound clarity and definition of sounds was like night and day. I also noticed the volume output for it was fairly low. Either way after hearing the comparison I sold it that day.

Just an FYI of my experience but you should test it out if you’re interested, just make sure you can return it if you don’t like it. Form factor is great and it kind of looks cool with all your other gear in the dark.

Wait what? Behringer made something that actually looks original and kinda… pretty?

2 Likes

I think your report just about hit all the concerns that I’ve had about the K-Mix.

My current mixer is a Mackie VLZ as well - the single aux send is its only flaw for me. I’m starting to come around to the advice offered by the same friend who taught me how to use my VLZ - just get an ART SplitMix4 and plug that into my aux send. Sticking w/ the VLZ, plus the ART and Roland Duo Capture EX (for iPad integration) and associated USB and audio cables will be messier overall than the K-Mix but I’ll probably be happier w/ the workflow and sound.

1 Like

Definitely, iPad is hit and miss with the K-Mix on what will work and when. You’ll definitely take a hit with the sound quality vs your VLZ. I’m not trying to put it down, it’s a cool little mixer/interface. It’s just too finicky for my taste. I like things to work consistently and precisely and this is neither of those. I really think you can’t beat the audio quality of a Mackie VLZ unless you go up quite a bit in price. Maybe just swap up to one of the ones that has 2-3 Aux sends and make creative use of the Alt outputs as well. You definitely only need to send a mono signal to most FX too so keep that in mind if you’re not already doing it.

I also use a tiny little half-normalled patch bay to give me an extra send (without a volume control though, but that can be done at the FX if it has a wet dry)…

We are going off topic a little much though so maybe PM me if you want to chat about this anymore.

1 Like

Intressting :thinking: I don’t see anything to use the LFO as source for manipulation.

There’s a lot the video doesn’t show, like a patch panel, the audio jack(s), etc. I’m sure the Behringer thread will be updated as more info comes in.

Verbos Eight Tap Multi Delay Processor (Eurorack - 28 HP)
Verbos Multi-Delay Processor

When i saw what this was and the Eurorack interface it immediately got my attention. Music from your own trip to space. So far though, unfortunately, there is only a very small demonstration of its sounds. Verbos is the maker of some very fine analog modules, i particularly like their Complex Oscillator. The Multi-Delay Processor is their first digital module.

The sound demonstrations are between 0:30 and 1:18 and between 7:50 and 8:15 in this video.

More sound demonstrations are between 3:48 and 4:50 in this video.

A 2 OSC monosynth! Finally!

7 Likes