MyVolts Ripcord, issues

(tests on octatrack mk2)

I use a poweradd pilot x7 , quite old unit - but its spec is 3.4A per output per port, and works fine…
funny enough, the MyVolts 5000mAh, with only 2.4A also works ok (which was bit unexpected)

Ive a small USB current/volt meter, and that implies it actually only draws a max of about 1.5-1.6A (@5v, so that’s the 7w mentioned above) … though it might be there is a quick ‘peak’ that it does not register/display.

BUT I will say Ive seen this before with other devices, its not just about current n’ voltage,
e.g. on bela the myvolts battery works, but not the x7 despite the x7 being a bigger more powerful battery. I think its possibly something to do with how the battery reacts to a peak draw of power, and how much the voltage drops.

In the end, it seems the best way is to try a few different (powerful) batteries and see which one works for you. (or go for one that others have said work)

perhaps there are also some tips from polyends anywhere module - as some seem to have similar issues with that

anyway, unless you have faulty ripcord, I think its nothing to do with the cable - rather the battery

Thank you for all the helpful insight. I will do some more digging and let you all know what happens with the new cords they sent me to try.

Thanks for the insight. I think this other response about how the battery responds to a peak of draw makes sense with what I found when I was testing them. My tests at the time were:
DN + OT = Units flash on and off but do not power completely
DN only = Same as above, but on occasion would power on
OT only = Flashes but does not power
Drumbrute = Worked well
Drumbrute + DN = Only worked if i power drumbrute first then DN, but it wasn’t consistent. It almost felt as if it needed to stay on with the drumbrute for 10 seconds before the DN would work. If both were on and running, but then i turned off the DN and tried to power it back on, both units would turn off.

I know this is all sort of tedious, but I really appreciate everyone’s insight. Love this community.

2 Likes

40 bucks for the Bonai, with 2 rip cords it will run both OT and DT, or OT and DN, or DT and DN. If you have the DT/DT on and hit the OT power switch, the DT/DN restarts, but once they are both running it’s no problem.

The power bricks don’t advertise available start up voltage, devices use more to power up than they do to run. If it’s not enough juice to start, the advertised 2.5A doesn’t do any good.

did i mention it’s 40 bucks?

2 Likes

Thank you very much. A firm recommendation and testimonial is what I was looking for. :+1:

That is the one I have been using. Works well!

1 Like

how many units can you power at one time with that thing?? Can you run OT+DT+DN, all three at once?

Sorry, I don’t have that many elektron devices, so can’t test, but based on the specs I think you should be able to.

I’ve only run the OT and DN together and it works great for several hours.

So I had this problem now as well
Tested with a few wall chargers
And only the real quality 3A ones that came with a tablet worked.
The cheaper ones did not.
So I guess it’s the same with a powerbanks battery… Better get a real good one
Or better get a heavy one that outputs 12v…
Portable dt worth the hassle

1 Like

Just got my songbirdfx cable
And it is working great on any cheap battery I can have here.
Finally. It’s real fun portable devices

1 Like

It’s amazing how the BirdCord cables just work, isn’t it? :smiley: Mine is still going strong and working with any power brick I test it with. Truly awesome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can I just butt in and say that I’ve had a lot of frustration because of this today?

I received the Ripcord today and am using it with an OT, so straight away it didn’t work with any chargers or battery packs I own atm. Only the macbook USB C charger with a USB A to C adapter or a USB C hub did the trick. But staying close to a wall outlet is contrary to why I purchased the cable.

I tried around with the USB C adapter and hub on my best powerbank and when I had them all plugged up, I removed the Ripcord from the USB hub and plugged it in the powerbank’s USB A port. Et voilà it worked!
So as long as something is connected or communicating with the powerbank via its USB C port, the USB A port gets the (same or) required amperage to power the OT. It’s a little hack, but I don’t mind.

On the OT MkII website it’s stated that the OT draws a “typical” amount of 7A.
My measurements however saw a power usage of around 7 to 10W constant (depending on usage), with a tendency towards 10W. Now this is with the ripcord, so its power consumption needs to be tied in, too, which leads to an efficiency of 70 to 80% for the ripcord. That’s pretty low in my opinion.

Furthermore, on the Ripcord site they state that they can provide up to 14W peak power with their cords from standard 5V USB at 2.4A. I don’t know how they want to achieve that (5V * 2.4A = 12W, which is their claimed maximum sustained powerd), but the OT definitively needs more than 12W.

Unfortunately my USB voltmeter always craps out when the OT starts up, so right now I can’t measure how much its peak draw is. The powerbank (as pictured) is rated up to 40W, so at least that gives me some playroom for estimations between 12 and 40W :joy:

1 Like

Completely forgot to add my take-away to my endeavour:

• If you have a powerbank with both USB C and A ports, try out a few combinations before you give up.

• Different powerbanks use different power controllers. There are many USB C related “standards”. Not every manufacturer makes use of chips that are 100% compliant with each and any of them. Weird side effects like mine might be a result of that.
  • If you want to buy the Ripcord to use it with an Octatrack, make sure to do your research before you buy it. Though if you read this it’s probably too late already ^^

• My suggestion to MyVolts is to release a USB C version of the cables. Due to the newer power related standards introduced with USB C (including 12V, up to 20V with USB-C PD) and USB C now being more common (at least around my corner of the world), this would make compatibility with other devices a lot better.

2 Likes

Does anyone get an audible buzz when using 2 or more devices? I found this when I was trying to power the OT, DN, MC combo a while back when I was gigging more often. Mainly with the DN in my case.

Just wanted to hop back in this thread to say BirdCord seems to be the solution for me regarding noise. RipCords were nice but these seem to do the trick better with less bulky components. Dieter was very helpful and it got delivered quickly.

4 Likes

So i got a ripors to power my little 48hp Usta case. And its a complete dud. Ive had my studio packes down for almost Two months and i got the ripord just when i was packing up my studio and i cant remeber If i tried and it worked, or If i ever tried it at all.

So Ive tried using a powered USB hub, wall socket and a rawPower powerbank. Nothing works, the case is dead. I tried using a normal 12v brick ti power the case and it Works fine, but Im hesitant to use that since 4ms recommends 15v for their pods…

Anybody had similar experience with a Ripcord?

I had tested with my 0coast it did not work the digital part.
The tension was good, I think the Ripcord does not give enough intensity, I return it.

Strange. Since they claim to be able to ”power anything”

I’ve used a ripcord with my MPC one, it worked well for a short time then started thermal cutting on me pretty frequently, I use an xt powerbank now, it’s a pretty pricey solution nut it’s supplies the correct voltage with plenty of overhead for intense usage… tbh I would trust ripcords with anything of value…

1 Like