My 5th octatrack

Do people who buy/sell/rebuy have commitment problems. Its could be a personality disorder?

Not even if they were unexpectedly short of money to pay rent or medical bills?

Edit: in the full context of the post I was replying to, this response of mine was dumb. See below.

2 Likes

I do. you could be on to something :smile:

one my first Octa cant imagine selling itā€¦(got the AR cant justify keeping the MD UW+)ā€¦oCta using it audio thru + FX and midi sequencing. Plan to sample AR and A4.

I sell things I like constantly. I basically liked every gear I had so far. Besides this crappy MPC 500 lol. I donā€™t want to possess so much. Makes me feel guilty and pressure to use everything enough to justify the buy. But I still want to try different stuff to find out if thereā€™s is something out there that suits my workflow and music better.
So beloved gear has to go once in a while. If I miss it too much, I can buy it back for the same price more or less. Iā€™m not into vintage stuff.

1 Like

yea i get collector guilt too. if Iā€™m not actively using a piece of gear it starts to seem excessive n stresses me out. I feel much better if I sell it and keep my setup streamlined.

1 Like

Things i will never sell: Octatrack + Analog Fourā€¦burie me with both of themā€¦ maybe install a powercord for the case that iā€™m not dead XD

i seriously consider buying a second pair of them, just for the case, Elektron goes bankruptā€¦

2 Likes

@PeterHanes In the same post you quoted me in I say ā€œIf you bought it and need the money urgently for an emergency, alright. But 5 or 6 times?!?ā€

So I can understand if something comes up, but if it happens over and over and over where gear needs to be sold to pay for essential medical services or something, that person is making very irresponsible choices. I really doubt thatā€™s the reason for anyone here selling and re-buying the same instrument with that degree of frequency.

Oops, sorry, so you did. I must have just blanked on the rest of your post other than the part that I quoted.

I apologize for my pointless reply to your sensible and balanced post.

I will delete my post if you want.

1 Like

How about you delete it and repost it 5-6 times, in the spirit of the thread?

(No offence meant. I have bought and resold many Nord Leads in my time.)

2 Likes

Haha Peter no need at all, youā€™re the best. Love you man. This thread is just for fun anyways.

3 Likes

Tbh a lot of us donā€™t make that much money. Iā€™ve had to sell gear several times just to make ends meet. Or because I thought a different box would improve my workflow and couldnā€™t afford to keep both.

4 Likes

I sell it for the price i bought it
My setup changes a lot
Ar A4 were always there
Tried to use ot as a mixer
Always struggled

Now i sample &slice & sequence & scenes & song transition. First time i feel comfortable with it

2 Likes

haha Octopussyā€™s

Well, I just had one and my sampler history is like this:

Akai S1100 (sold)
Kyma System (Still in use)
Octatrack mk1 (Sold)
Ableton Live/Push 2 (Still in use)
Waldorf Quantum my major sampler now

1 Like

I lusted for an Octatrack mk1 for a long time. Finally bought it. And foolishly made judgements on it without really getting to know it well. So I sold it for a bit more than I paid for it.

Then the regret kicked in. About a year later, found a great deal and purchased my second Octatrack. This time I am completely enamored with it. I really love using it. And thereā€™s much more I havenā€™t even gotten to try yet, such as midi sequencing. Thereā€™s no way Iā€™m selling this one. Octatrack for life :fist:

2 Likes

Only way Iā€™d sell my Octatrack was if I needed the cash or I really wanted to help fund a Mk2.

Even though I made the decision to get a Mk1 due to price and aesthetic, I do find myself pining for the extra bells and whistles of the mk2ā€¦ If it only cost me another 100 or so Iā€™d probably bite the bullet.

Thought about selling it (ā€œwhat can it do my DAW cantā€“and much more quickly?ā€) then I decided to double down and dig deeper and now I love it to bits. It really is an instrument. Every day Iā€™m finding my muscle memory is getting faster and Iā€™m able to more quickly get what I want. My workflow is more streamlined. I can troubleshoot problems more quickly. I can say Iā€™ve written pieces of music I legitimately never would have in any other context. I can say Iā€™ve made fascinating, unprecedented sounds that I never though to make beforeā€“which is why I bought it in the first place.

6 Likes

Mk2ā€™s are starting to pop up for great prices on the various forums. Maybe itā€™s time to start saving those pennies!

2 Likes

I noticed that too, if the trend continues I might be going for a second one next year and sell my ableton 10 suite license.

Elektronauts topic, year 2033: ā€œAbout to buy my 17th Octatrackā€

OP: Should I go for it or do you think thereā€™ll be a MK3 soon?

Reply: Iā€™m on my 13th and this time starting to learn sampling and parts, I think itā€™s worth it, still nothing like itā€¦

8 Likes

If you buy and sell the same piece of gear for more than 2 times without needing the cash for an emergency, or without being rich, you donā€™t know what youā€™re doing.

Which is fine, kindaā€¦but instead of selling again, just spend some time with it first to actually make your own mind up.

3 Likes