MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

No limit has been stated for clip programs, so guessing you can have up to 128 of them, like with drum and keygroup programs.

1 Like

Someone have real informations regarding release date for the first batch ?

Nah man, nothing solid but heard end of April/early May.

1 Like

In UK stores are listing them for end of april

2 Likes

Cool at least maybe 2 months to save bucks thatā€™s fair ! thanks akai :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah I gotta pay for last yearā€™s Op1 purchase next few weeks so the mpc delay works nice for gas>wallet relations :wink:

Anyone started scouting for drives to throw in the bay? Any links to good deals?

Apart from Westend DJ who claims theyā€™ll get first UK stock 01/04, thatā€™s where I pre-ordered from hoping for the best.

1 Like

also the ā€œoberheimā€ ob-12 had patch morphing via modwheel (circa 1999-2000)

the Yamaha EX keyboards were bad ass workstationsā€¦ it was released around the same time as the Yamaha RM1X and AN1X, which were also bad assā€¦ and it was definitely the high water mark for Yamaha synths/keyboards because they havent made anything nearly as cool since thenā€¦ actually it seems they basically gave up on the market, which sucks

back on topic, it seems the ā€œclip launchingā€ and non-linear pattern based features of the new MPC series are still in their infancy and dont resemble much more than an afterthought at this point - and thats a big no-no for me, so ive totally cooled on these things atmā€¦ it sucks because everything else is seriously on point, but i dont need a linear DAW in a box, thats what I have a computer for

in the meantime im still discovering new ways to use the OT which make it virtually indispensable (per track tempo scaling comes to mind)ā€¦ but theres really no getting around the prehistoric timestretching algorithm, and the implementation of per track sample managementā€¦ in some ways the elektron devices are the very definition of ā€œfiddlyā€, which can be a good thing at timesā€¦ but other times its just a tedious nightmare

1 Like

If you arenā€™t fussed about portability/the pros of an all in one box and donā€™t mind using a computer then Ableton probably best bet for deeper clip launching? Save yourself some money/space :wink:

no i only use a computer for multi-tracking, recording and so forthā€¦ i dont do any pattern based composing with it because its just generally a hassle and i havent invested in any of the proper external controllers for that because of how unstable computers inherently areā€¦ and the lack of tight integration with having to juggle plugins, files, settings, etc.

now, if they made a standalone Push unitā€¦ id be all over itā€¦ thats a dream box for sure

the aspect of having the same unit in a standalone mode as well as an expanded PC mode is the big draw for me on the new MPC stuff

if they ever get the clip launching fleshed out and more expanded, iā€™ll be looking into it again for sure

1 Like

In a non-computer setup the mpc live looks super useful with ton of features beyond clip launching (which it seems to do well enough for most applications tbh?)? But fair enough :wink:

Yeah standalone Push would be great. Gotta be on Abletonā€™s road map at some pointā€¦

I wonder if you can resample material into MPC Live from controller mode?

example:
Operating the unit in ā€˜controller modeā€™ using the benefits of VSTā€™s then resample that back into the machine as Audio Track for ā€˜timestretchingā€™

:pray:

1 Like

You can bounce down midi programmed vst parts as audio to use in stand-alone

1 Like

Or do you mean audio through vst fx? If so it would just be recording as audio and saving as clip or an audio track I think

recording software vst fx into the machine to use again for standalone use

1 Like

Do you think the clips can be played chromatic ala the OT. That would be super bonus for me.

Not sure I understand what you mean? OT doesnā€™t really have a clips launch mode? Theres prob a workaround for similar functionality, albeit possibly more limited/fiddly?

Mpc can play a loop/sample chromatically with timestrech same as OT. And polyphonically. Not sure if it can change pitch of clips in the clip launch mode but Iā€™d guess so?

OT has slot mode which is a clip launch equivalent. I was asking if loops can be played chromaticlly and maintain its time stretch like the OT. Thanks.

Ive used slot mode in past, definitely didnā€™t feel like clip launching in ableton!? Guess I missed something/didnā€™t have it setup in that way. Tbh clip launching isnā€™t something Iā€™d ever thought/wanted to try on OT, kinda feels like a waste of a track (I usually run out of tracks pretty fast on OT)ā€¦

Yeah mpc loops can be played chromatically and timestrech. At least I think so from some stuff Andy said to someone from the mpc forums on one of those interview videos that dude madeā€¦

Yeah you might want to revisit the slot mode. 128 sample loops can be launched and quantized to any beat increment.

1 Like