MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Cool. When I’ve briefly used slot mode i was just triggering one shots. Kinda like basic Sp404 use. Didn’t really spend much time digging in to other possibilities for it. Will check it out as clip launcher at some point, thanks. Not sure it’s something I’d often use on OT tho, cos of the OT modes layout workflow and the trackrifice :wink:

all the videos ive seen so far on the MPC clip launch feature is super basic… like, not even settings for quantizing the start time to next beat or next bar or whatever… no “groups” or “scenes” or whatever, no chaining, etc. etc. no word on a “one shot” mode

so far, it seems like it just launches a clip and loops it forever - thats it… of course, its still in development and they have specifically talked about fleshing out this mode in the future… but talk is cheap, so I will probably be waiting until it actually gets some updates first before seriously considering it

In one of the two most recent vids I’m pretty sure they talk about some of the stuff you mention being onboard. Don’t quote me but I think one shots/toggle and quantization are covered… Not sure about the rest.

Also, if I’ve understood right, don’t forget that clip launching is a track within a pattern. So you can use different patterns as ‘groups/scenes’, and then select the mode where different pads select different patterns, giving you ableton style ‘scenes’… ish… Dunno how it’d work in practise tho, whether clips can Autostart when a pattern starts etc or exactly how all the modes interact. Guessing there’ll be some workarounds poss for most required functions tho. Need some hands on reviews to start appearing…

1 Like

We need some units to start shipping!

3 Likes

as much as like the arrival of the MPC Live, am seriously considering purchasing a used MPC1000 w/JJOS, it might just achieve the results i need at half the price :confused:

basically i need timestretching/pitchshifting, a looper and recorder with versatile sampling manipulation for producing electroacoustic/ambient music

:relaxed:

I nearly copped a 1k a few times but the slow (dated) processing etc workflow always put me off. Maybe I got it wrong but it looked super slow/uninstinctive for pitch shift/timestrech etc. Dunno how good those old algos sound either?

Korg es might suit you from your listed requirements for way cheaper? Not sure if has a looper feature tho?

i could wait and see what the Digitakt has to offer probably next month, then wait another month save the coppers to splash out on MPC Live having the benefits of better workflow promised…hurray!

You mention ambient, I’m sure digitakt would spit out some nice stuff but mono samples + only 1gb memory isn’t ideal if your ambient stuff involves long field recordings etc or you want a big sample library onboard. For drum hits its ample tho.

1 Like

do we know it will only spit out mono samples yet?, 1gb will be ample before bouncing audio down to a computer :thumbsup:

Rumoured mono. Full spec might be better. Yeah 1gb is definitely workable. Personally I hate transferring files tho and would fill that 1gb super quick then constant be juggling projects and stuff for shows back and forth with pc. First world problem but still… I wish I had a bigger card than 16gb on my OT…sketched out about pulling it out tho after hearing horror stories about killing the card pins. And I’m skint :wink:

I guess basically for ambient I probably wouldn’t buy something advertised as a drum sampler as my first choice :wink: unless that turns out to be a super misleading marketing ploy and theres a lot of functionality/workarounds under the hood… YMMV.

i will probably settle for the MPC Live, it covers all my needed specs and at least i don’t have to watch HIP HOP MPC tutorials online :smirk:

If you’re on the fence just hold out a couple of months til Digitakt and MPC live are in the wild. See what real users are doing with both units and make a better informed decision :wink: Atm I have concerns about mpc using a touchscreen and Akai (a lot of people hating on the company for product quality/stability/keeping promises etc…) and concerns that the digitakt is too bare bones to really add much to my setup (based on current released spec and as an OT owner)… Interested to see how both those concerns play out…

1 Like

nice one, good viewpoint mate, cheers!

2 Likes

I was really interested in the MPC Live except I really dislike the effects. If I didn’t ultimately go with ordering a Gotharman Fuzion, I think I would have gotten a Toraiz again. I really liked the sound quality of the Toraiz, and thought it’s effects sounded good, that’s without getting to try the newer algorithms that came out like the compressor.

why? are they bland?

Yeah, it’s a totally subjective thing. There’s something about the reverb and delay effects I didn’t like from the demos. Having an MPC 5000 for a bit when they first came out, I remember thinking the effects were only ok. The Toraiz effects are a bit better imo, but I really like Pioneer DJ mixers so that definitely factors in to my opinion.

Yeah, heard negative reviews on the MPC FX :confused:

Tbh I’ll prob use MPC mostly on sofa for sketching out/refining songs/structures/youtube sampling etc and then later plug it in to computer and use vst fx or send to amps/hardware. Kind of ideal in that respect for people mixing ITB. I prefer the best reverb/delay/bitcrusher/saturation plugins to the FX on Elektrons (and my Mininova/Microsampler etc) and often kill OT/AK fx when recording them in to Daw (except for p-lock stuff).
Then bounce it all down with fx and back to mpc for shows + pedals…

So the standalone fx would often just be kind of placeholder…

1 Like

shame, those are the 2 effects I’d be most interested in utilising for ambient/electroacoustic production, guessing there more suited to dance music?

imo reverb and delay are pretty bad on OT too -so maybe they’re equally bad :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like