MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Dunno if this was posted already. Looser demo than the others I’ve seen. At certain parts it looks like a hell of a lot of to and fro through menus/screens for some tasks. Hard to gage how it’ll feel for workflow hands on. Wasn’t paying masses of attention when watching the vid. Maybe those things where there’s a lot of menu selections involved would be equally lengthy procedures on OT etc. But looked kinda tedious in places on this vid. Maybe just a psychological thing seeing it on touchscreen instead of menus/buttons. Not dealbreaker for me yet tho balanced out with everything else…

THIS.

Hate using the computer… I’ve too have been thinking about trying the new MPC X… I like the CV outs and want to see how it integrates with my humble Make Noise setup. Will it replace my OT? Probably not… but I was a huge fan of the older MPCs.

I have to admit @Yorgos_Arabatzis the LIVE looks amazing… i can imagine taking that on board a long flight or train ride… and jamming away…

1 Like

The only real concern - i hate touchscreens

could this have been the best one ever made??

4 Likes

Probably … yes … but if the X has the same interface concept as the old big MPCs (and it looks like to be like this), we can hope that we have not to use the touch-screen at all, if we keep working like on the old MPCs.

I use a MPC 5k actually and there is some screen content, particular for MIDI editing, which I would love to have done differently and more flexible. My impression after watching some videos is that the new MPCs will provide better display ergonomy, graphically and - more important - content wise.

Great pads, lovely sized pad banks buttons (on par with NI maschine), excellent sounding AD/DA with mic pre (no 48V tho) and phono inputs, great fx, super tight sequencer, 512MB RAM, has A REAL SAMPLER engine inside (!). Unfortunately Aksys is not working that well on modern OS’es (mac in particular), no multitimbral MIDI input to the sequencer like on JJOSXL, no CYCLE mode (round-robin), need to press stop quite often for many tasks. Still the best standalone MPC ever made IMO (well, until these new models ship anyway). Some cats swear by the 3k, and supposedly it sounds the best out of all MPCs, but I dislike the featureset of the 3k myself.

The 4K is a heavy mofo tho!

1 Like

It seems like the menu diving is needed for the qlink setup and channel strips, but didn;t see too much. I really liked the video, nice to see something different from Rihanna…

1 Like

I’m still wishing for some info on my main concerns:

• quality and versatility of the fx (enough with the beat repeat/LPF!! ? :stuck_out_tongue: )
  • q-link mapping: can it be mapped to parameters relative to the selected layer? (ie. volume, pan, send of whatever layer is selected, not a specific pad)
  • can you control more parameters with external midi controllers via usb ports? hoping the answer is yes on this one - specially for live use, it would improve its possibilities a lot

We will have to wait for the 2.0 to ship to answer these I’m afraid. On fx, IIRC it has been stated that they are a port from the MPC5000, so the quality will not be superb (hoping they’re still usable).

I know MPC will be more or less unlimited and very cool with User Program (Drums and Instruments key group)
But still 8 tracks + Clip launch (I don’t really insterested because of the 4 Row like 4 scenes.) VS 16 Tracks for the Toraiz
My main concern is Overall AUDIO quality + Effects and I’m only waiting to hear what balls MPC Live have.
I know the Toraiz is not yet ready if they make a good1.4 and 1.5 Firmware it can be a very nice Beast as the AUDIO Quality is phenomenal from what I’ve heard and effects are great too. Sampling quality is nice apart for the 32sec limit which is a pain in Rec and Listening Sample when working with it.

I hope MPC Live sounding as nice as the Toraiz. Which make it an unbeatable product.

I doubt the new MPCs will sound as good as toraiz. But what do you mean wrt 8 tracks? the new MPCs have 128 tracks.

1 Like

128 audio tracks in controller mode if you’re using a laptop.8 full length audio tracks in standalone mode for warping/timestretching etc. In addition to those 8 you can have normal samples tracks until you hit the 64 voice polyphony…

1 Like

Probably

nice video! good to see some details on the Q-link configuration - I don’t fully understand it but it does look like you can do a lot with them (look at 13.12) https://youtu.be/l19a7WJi8oM

I wonder if you can change the q-links between project/program/pad scene without menu diving…
if they support external midi control of those settings, it would be awesome - pair it with a LaunchControl XL and you’re good to go!

1 Like

That video shows a lot of potential. I do hate the generic tracks they use though with sample pack type loops. Would like to hear something more creative but still a lot of questions answered for me

Is that a bug at 18.11 in video? Audio stops even tho sequencer still looks like it’s running? Guess he maybe muted audio to speak…

My favorite feature on the OT is that you can record beat sync’d loops. On the fly or whatever.
I don’t currently see a way to do this on the MPC. It looks like you record and then trim to length.
Do I have this right?
Am I making a big deal out of nothing?
TIA

There is some sort of looper functionality in the more recent versions of the MPC software. But as for how it works, no idea…

1 Like

Guessing you can record audio on to the clip launch pads too maybe with predefined length? That plus the looper probably = decent options for that kind of stuff…

How many clip programs can be used per sequence?