MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

The problem is that the OS makes completely unnecessary assumptions about certain content files being present. As a software engineer by trade I find this very offensive (not the content itself).

5 Likes

I donā€™t think the complaint is that the sounds arenā€™t to taste (btw theyā€™re not free, you paid for them when you paid for your MPC Live), the complaint is rather that they cannot be deleted safely. In fact, deleting the content could break the MPC / make it pretty much unusable. That, I feel, is a fair complaint to have.

4 Likes

But why would anyone ever need to delete them? An SD card costs 20ā‚¬, surely if youā€™ve spent 700-1100ā‚¬ on a sampler you can afford to buy an SD or two.

Itā€™s clutter. It obliges. Might not be a problem for everyone, but to some it is and I for one get it and respect it. I have like 20 samples on my DT, all made by me and carefully selected for the DT and its purpose in my setup. It allows me to be laser focussed with it. Canā€™t do that with the MPC, thereā€™s like 10GB worth of content on there to circumvent and tolerate on a box that should really be fully my own in that sense (i.e. I should be able to delete that content without breaking the software)

Personally I find the signal-to-noise ratio in regards to samples available/loaded onto a sampler as one of the key elements that makes or breaks samplers for me.

8 Likes

Itā€™s only the same as having a synth that has banks of factory presets you canā€™t touch, and then a dedicated user preset area.

An SD card in the MPC and you never have to go near an Akai sample.

Fair enough if this is a ā€˜problemā€™ to people with programming sensibilitiesā€¦ but to most of us, it sounds a bit daft. :blush:

1 Like

Each to their own, I guess.

Whenever I go to ā€™browseā€™ I first choose the ā€™placesā€™ tab and go to my chosen disc and start browsing my own stuff. I see a one second glimpse into the factory content. Itā€™s a bit like the presets in my other synths, theyā€™re there but I donā€™t need to use any of them.

Sometimes when I need a quick drumset for an idea I just pick one of the factory sets and go with that. Iā€™ll replace the set later if needed. So they kinda fill some purpose by existing there.

2 Likes

Not quite. The machine lets you delete said content, but then itā€˜s borked. Make of that what you will.

5 Likes

It feels like having pop-up ads in my instrument right in front of my face when I turn it on/wanna browse sample. Thatā€™s annoying af.

6 Likes

No warning either, at least last time I checked.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree that thatā€™s weirdā€¦ would be better to have the essential content protectedā€¦ if there was an option for ā€˜delete all except essentialsā€™ I would probably hit it.

1 Like

Drum program sequencing;

Is it possible to have poly-rhythms on a single drum program track?

For example, you have a 1 bar pattern but want your hihats looping to 7/16ths?

I can do this on my BeatStep Pro and Elektron devices, not sure if itā€™s doable on the MPCā€¦?

you can turn that off in the settings you know, or set it to show your own templates/recent projects. it does say this on the demo page if you click the i in the top corner. @d0nk3y too

Great advice! I already have my Preferences - New Project dialogue set to Demo/Template/Recent. If only I could get rid of the Demo bitā€¦ Or if I could have my own splash screen followed by an autoload of my studio template. Would be bliss!

You can change it so the demos donā€™t pop up when you turn on the mpc. Itā€™s in the settinfs somewhere

ah I see I had it set to off, shame you cant get rid of the ā€˜demoā€™ bit completely. can do a one press user template but cant avoid some of those ugly little icons. custom splash screen would be awesome really wish I could set custom colours too. my X would look so much more badass with a dark theme

3 Likes

Akai still have much to learn from JJOS, which featured custom splash screens. Nothing like seeing your artist name pop up when you power on on a deviceā€¦ Or a pixelated, chromatic rendition of Biggie. :smiley:

A dark theme for the MPC would he excellent; I have a dark theme on Ableton Live, anything else burns my retinas after a few minutes.

The template loading is great though. I have the four Pulsar-23 channels and Virus B ready to go with one tap.

5 Likes

do any of you good folks own an Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 and use It with your mPc?

Some people prefer to keep shit clean and organized. I donā€™t like keeping what I donā€™t use at hand. I hate clutter.

I always say less is more. I donā€™t need extraneous samples/projects/templates/ itā€™s clutter.

5 Likes

I still hate editing notes on the grid, itā€™s so annoying.

1 Like

They are not particularly good at what they do.

1 Like