MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

That is a great tip! Thank you. :slight_smile:

@VDB @Automageddon @d0nk3y you guysā€¦ I am deeply grateful for your assistance. I loved my MPC 1000 but the tiny screen and somewhat clunky grid editing make me move to an MPC Live, which is so good but becomes a million times better when you have buddies able and willing to help. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Free Roland JU-06a sound pack, free today only: https://youtube.com/watch?v=7uY-2rekXL0

1 Like

Yep this is pretty much what I do, especially coming from the mpc2000xl where I would only stick to 1 program and 1 sequence 99% of the time.

Just use track mutes for the variation.

1 Like

I worked on my track last night, duplicated a sequence, duplicated the track within the sequence that I wanted to use a LP filter on, then added the filter and deleted the original non-filtered track from that sequence. Now itā€™s seamless when I switch between them. Thank you all!

Also been messing with the effects, particularly the compressors on the master. They donā€™t sound half bad! No idea why there are Akai and Air effects, seems pointless to duplicate, would love to be able to remove some of them. But a small gripe.

The XYFX are a lot of fun to play with. Been enjoying the BP Filter XYFX with a couple hundred ms of release, makes things flow a little smoother and makes for a more unique effect to my ears.

The air effects are made by Air, not Akai, and take more power to run and are of a better quality. It is good to have options depending on what you need. The Air effects sound better but can kill your CPU.

1 Like

Some Liquid Funk, 100% MPC One standalone, though Iā€™m not sure WTF Soundcloud is doing to my waveform, took hours to level everything off to play on my decks :joy:

5 Likes

Is there some clever way to hide the factory sounds? Iā€™ve realized itā€™s such a killjoy to scroll through X ā€soft RNB kit mclovinā€™ā€ kits to get to the stuff youā€™re looking for.

I must not be the only one to struggle with thisā€¦ :-o

Also; if you have tips for where to source drum kits that are good for techno/ā€downtempoā€/dubby/glitchy stuff, in MPC Live ready format, Iā€™d appreciate the tips!

Thanks people.

1 Like

Donā€™t delete the factory content, as it can make the Mpc unstable. Itā€™s a documented issue and it happened to my original Live.

And even though Iā€™m loathed to say it, Iā€™ve just stuck with Splice for sample packs and I do enjoy the convenience of direct sample transfer.

1 Like

Sadly those loathesome RnB McLovin kits are there to stay.

My favourite techno sample packs are from Zenhiser but they ainā€™t cheap. I make my own samples to alleviate the cost and to forge a unique sound.

plug in a usb/sd/hdd/ssd and resave your favourite kits on whatever folder structure you want. then disregard the MPCs built in storage. I think the MPC breaks when you delete it all because it scans for that folder as part of the startup. If it canā€™t find it then it gets stuck on that step. The storage is literally a micro sd inside the MPC, makes me wonder if you could just move all the default sounds into a subfolder and still work assuming the path above it stays the same. Donā€™t want to brick my mpc into a loop to find out though

2 Likes

Iā€™ve deleted all the Akai default flub off the internal memory before. It wasnā€™t fun. Manage to get Akai to send me it all again thankfully.

How f@cked up is it that the OS implementation is tied to the factory content???

5 Likes

Agreed. Iā€™d LOVE to pull out all those crappy R&B and lame EDM kits. A lot of those sounds are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Itā€™s a drag wading thru that stuff. If they implemented favouritesā€¦that could alleviate digging. But it would be nice to reclaim storage.

Very!

Indeed, itā€™s one of the reasons I sold my first MPC Live. Iā€™m over it now though. Itā€™s not worth missing out on an awesome device, the worthy modern incarnation of the classic MPC legacy, because of a splash page going on about stupid genre templates I have no intention of using. Itā€™s like the Microkorg with itā€™s silly genre-based preset clusters - itā€™ll age the machine but perhaps one day will evoke warm fuzzy feelings.

Why do you find it a problem?
I never go near the factory contentā€¦ I double tap Browse and go straight to my main drive, so it just doesnā€™t feel like an issue.
You can also use the 5 quick links, why not just bypass what you donā€™t want to see?

4 Likes

I donā€™t get the problem. I have an SSD and a micro SD in my Live filled with my own sample libraries. I rarely go to the factory content as I have no need for those types of sounds/kits. Why should I be offended or angry about free content that I can easily just leave be? Itā€™s like me complaining about the quality of the radio stations when I never listen to radio anyhow. Nobody forces anyone to save anything to the internal drive.

3 Likes

Simultaneous similar response. :partying_face:

1 Like

Because from a software engineering perspective it is very bad practice. It riles me. And yes, that aside, the MPC Live 2 is fucking awesome.

6 Likes