MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

@L That looping trick is really nice. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

I believe you but it’s worth knowing that it only happens if you’re running on battery power (to stop it automatically turning on when inside a bag or similar). When plugged in, no confirmation screen appears. I genuinely thought mine was randomly shutting down sometimes until I made the connection, not a good feeling with new gear, was a relief in the end to discover why as my first few hours I’d had it plugged in to charge up. Hope you don’t have any more problems with it.

1 Like

no problem I look forward to seeing what you do with the MPC glad to hear it worked out okay

Picked up Pigments 3.5.

Holy shit this thing is so powerful.

2 Likes

Do you know if you can assign this to control track mutes? I’ve just tried to find a midi assignment chart/info for the ONE/Live and couldn’t find anything, in the manual it seems there is only a section on controlling external midi gear. It would be great if you could use the launchpad to control mutes.

1 Like

Neat technique posted on MPC Forums earlier, automating live audio. I wouldn’t have thought to do that, but now its been spoon-fed to me its kind of obvious :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

Anyone find the 1/4 audio jacks on the MPC Live 2 to be really tight/require a bit of force? Kind of scary! I like to baby my gear…

1 Like

Same on my One, indeed.

Midi ports are the same on the ONE, you have to watch what’s behind to save your hand slamming into something when pulling them out. :grinning:

1 Like

I have a really basic, RTFM-level question but I have to ask.

I like to have have sequences where it’s exactly the same apart from a slightly closed filter on the main sample. A bit like Nujabes does in a lot of his songs.

To achieve this, would I simply add a LP filter to the program housing my main sample, then create a new sequence and use automation to close it? Would the LP filter appear on my list of automatable parameters once added to the program? Seems a bit long-winded but can’t think of any other way to do it.

As I’m away from my MPC I cant be really precise, but yes : once you’ll add the LP filter on the program (or sample parameter ? Dont remember precisely) you’ll be able to add the frequency parameter on an automation lane through the sequence page.

1 Like

That’s wicked, thank you! I’d try it but I too am away from my MPC. I tried it before without adding the LP filter to the program and was only able to access the filters on each pad. I was praying that it wasn’t going to be a case of automating the filter on each pad as some of my main samples encompass 128 chops. :stuck_out_tongue:

This dude confirms it, you wont be forced to automate 128 filters to achieve what’s your looking for :wink:

3 Likes

A simpler way would be to duplicate the track, add the low pass to that track and mute/unmute as needed. I find it more accurate than automations

4 Likes

Beat me to it

1 Like

Spot on, thanks everyone! And @Automageddon that is a fab idea regarding duplicating the track, adding the filter already lowpassed and having that play instead for more accurate transitions. Absolute legends all of you.

Another quick one, and sorry again, but I’m guessing like previous MPCs, once you’ve made a song progression, if you let it play you can record live embellishments over the top (extra pad presses, knob movements etc) and those will be recorded into the overall song rather than the individual sequences being played back?

So for example if I had a sequence repeat twice as part of a song, if I recorded some XYFX movement over the top of the second playthrough, it would only trigger when playing back the song and not be recorded as part of the sequence, if that makes sense? I’m sure I did this on my MPC 1000 back in the day but not with XYFX obviously. P

I think you would probably have to create a new sequence from the song first, not 100% tho

Unfortunately not. You would have to arrange your sequences in song mode, convert to a new pattern then record your extras on that pattern.

But there’s a positive to this, you can explode the track and export stems of the sequence, but this doesn’t work from song mode.

As it’s Christmas, another tip:
You can jam your sequences in next sequence mode and when you press stop you can press the ‘to song ’ button and voila!
I always forget about this

1 Like