MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Yeah it is a bit big but for me I rather use the right specs just in case.

Really depends on how you use it

so does the MPC live not have a usb channel for midi?
very strange omissionā€¦
i have got the network wifi midi to work sending from the mpc
but i cant send midi from ableton to the mpc via midi or via network midi

The xt is a slightly larger than an an average power bank but and this the main point here, it delivers the exact power requirements of the MPC with plenty of overhead for the demands that will be placed on it say from external USB devices plugged into the one.

When I first got my one I was trying to save some money and went with a ripcord and a poweradd bank that myvolts recommended but as soon as the projects I was working on became larger the ripcord usb became extremely hot to the touch and thermal cut out in the middle of a project, no lasting damage to the MPC as far as Iā€™m aware but I wouldnā€™t trust it ever againā€¦ and I certainly wouldnā€™t trust any other off spec battery now

Basically the MPC is expecting to see 19v at 3.4a and pulls a reasonably steady 9/11w during average use in my case and thatā€™s what the xt can deliver with ease, it can do up to 65w.

The 15000mah xt i picked up cost me 56 quid, it hasnā€™t skipped a beat and is useful for lots of other stuff aside from powering the MPC, I think itā€™s money well spentā€¦

6 Likes

Pretty much agree with this.

Spending a bit more money on the the right power bank, but you still save a lot compared to the MPC live 2. Now the specs are even closer with 2.10 allowing the use of USB audio interface

2 Likes

somethin to chew on, reluctantly lolā€¦ will search a little longer, I donā€™t care about the money just the size of the battery so maybe Iā€™ll get lucky and find something that fits the requirements

I can recommend RAVpowers powerstation series which have stick plug. so you can use the original PSU with the power bank.

Iā€™ve had mine for over a year and itā€™s a high quality product. Used it to power several synths at the same time by adding a cord splitter (or whatever you call them)

I use a RP-pb054 which has 20100mAh
There is a newer version of this one as well and there are bigger models as well.

Also of note is that it has normal usb connection as well as usb C. So straight out of the box you can power three different devices at the same timeā€¦

Powering my little pulsar skiff in this picture

1 Like

thanks , right now Iā€™m looking for the smallest thing in size possible that I can find, with the proper specs for the mpc oneā€¦

will check this one out

Omni charge 20+ is just about the smallest option if you donā€™t mind using the stock power brick, its pricey though at 199 USDā€¦ you can hunt high and low to find something smaller and believe me I googled the eff out of it but what youā€™re up against is the fact that most powerbanks with a DC outlet are built out of 18650 cells wired in series to give the required voltage which severely limits the form factorā€¦

1 Like

I picked up one of these when it was on sale for around $100 on Amazon and itā€™s greatā€“powers my One on direct DC without the psu, my Macbook on USB C, recharges quickly, etc. Highly recommend if you can find on sale.

1 Like

Is it possible on MPC Live 2 or on MPC One with the USB interface to send the outputs to the external fx pedals and sample it back or just monitor and mix this channel (or channels) in real time? Like it is possible in Octatrack via CUEā€¦ Thanks

On the One this would depend on the I/O of your USB audio interface - you canā€™t access an external audio device and the internal I/O at the same time. So youā€™d need a device with at least two stereo outputs that are available to the MPC - a fully supported USB mixer should be fine (like the Tascam Model 12, I believe), but anything that gives you a simple 2-in / 2-out wonā€™t give you any advantage over the standard config on the One (which is 2-in / 2-out itself).

3 Likes

Thanks! So I either need to use more than 2-channels interface or use Live 1/2.
Would it work in this scenario as on Octa - incoming audio coming into box? Can I apply live effects to the inputs or can only monitor/mix the signal?

You can apply effects to the input signal, sure - four slots, same as everywhere else. You can monitor that live, or sample / record with the effects included. I assume with a multichannel input device you could do the same for each channel, but I donā€™t have the means to verify that.

2 Likes

Something like the Allen and heath zed-i 10 I have would be ideal for this it has four usb in and out and sends for each channel, so theoretically you could output the MPC on one channel and use the send to pipe to fx boxes and back in on a pair of the other inputsā€¦

2 Likes

I was doing this with a Scarlett 8i6.
I had the Analog Heat as on a send channel so I could apply distortion as needed.
Or I could put it as and insert and resample

2 Likes

I just wanted to share a playlist of work Iā€™ve created over the last year using the MPC One stand alone and paired with the iPad. If thereā€™s anything you all would like to see, that you donā€™t see in the videos, just drop me a line here or on the Tubes.

Thanks in advance for watching. Hope everyone is enjoying their MPC instrument of choice :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ouch, I was just placing an order for a ripcord! Itā€™s the only cable that specifically states that it works for the MPC One. :see_no_evil:

Does anyone else have experience with this cord? False marketing?

What does that mean?

Thermal cut out occurs when an electronic product gets so hot that it inbuilt protection detects that itā€™s safe operating temperature is exceeded and immediately shuts it down, ripcords have this built into them, I experienced it with mine, I sent an email to myvolts to get a replacement which I received but like I said my trust in it was shaken and I bought an xt powerbank to replace it which works flawlesslyā€¦
Iā€™m not bashing them as company because I got great customer service from them but I donā€™t believe the 19v ripcord is up to the jobā€¦

Btw I donā€™t think itā€™s false marketing either, the ripcord I used worked to a point, it never cut out on any other project than a pretty heavy Dnb one that had 12 tracks with numerous effects and handful of plugins in use, make of that what you willā€¦

2 Likes

So youā€™re saying that the cutout happened in the cord. My only concern would be if the MPC would somehow be damaged, but I guess that technically canā€™t happen since the worst thing that can happen is that this cord fails to deliver on the requested power.

In any case, at least I canā€™t say I havenā€™t been warned. Thanks!

1 Like