MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Right,

It’s strange though cause akai mention in one of their update videos that they’ve expanded the tracks to 10… so have you checked that it’s really 8?

It’s a cool update but we are practically in daw territory now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

Never the less, seems like a really cool solution. Thanks for answers

Sorry if I’m missing something but couldn’t you record directly to the model 12?

Yes,

But the tascam doesn’t have the nice effects of the mpc…

1 Like

Gotcha, that makes sense. I think using the 12 as an interface with an MPC would be awesome.

1 Like

Demoed both Atlas and XO in the past few days, I like both UI’s and graphics. I find Atlas similarity suggestions works way better than XO.
XO suggestions seems mostly random, it mixes kicks with synth stabs, digital fx’s and so on, just to make an example…

With Atlas I had issues selecting sounds in galaxy view, clicking on hihats cluster but finding completely different sounds. I was not able to find a hihat :smile:

Anyway I don’t get the point with these softwares. I don’t see any use for them in a typical workflow.

They claim to “organize your samples” but it seems the big point is to create almost random kits, I don’t see how they are supposing to organize samples with a cloud of points.

I have my samples already organized by vendor, genre, type, and often extra infos. I use ADSR sample manager, with tags and filters it’s relatively easy to find what you are looking for. Very effective and not distracting.

So aside the sequencers, personally I don’t see any use for both Atlas and Xo.

Am I missing something?

I don’t know.

Atlas does a really good job of organizing kits for me. Kick usually lands on the kick slot and so on.

It’s good for some quick inspiration

I’ve also demo’d both in the last week and gravitated to XO.

If you’re buying either just to use as a sample organiser it’s probably overpriced.

The main reasons I’m really digging XO;

• the native sample library is really good.
  • the processing of drum samples is well implemented.
  • I really like the UI.
  • the sequencer is really good.
  • the quantise/groove implementation.
  • I really like how it’s 8 track… reminds me of the Digitakt… I find having 8 voices makes me focus way more on the sounds I’m using, whereas 16 makes me start looking outside of just drums. (I really like using MPC Drum Synth Multi for the same reason).
  • I like being able to use it standalone to just make beats.
  • the export options are great (raw one shots, processed one shots, loops, stems, etc).
  • the pattern and kits mix-up/randomisation.

There’s probably a few things I’m missing here too… and I haven’t even got to adding/organising my own samples yet.

I know this is the MPC thread… I’m not sure how relevant XO will be to me with my MPC, I’m seeing it more as an Ableton add on.
I might build some kits to send to MPC software and export to my Live 2 at some point.

I demoed both and I’m considering Atlas mostly because I can just drag and drop samples into the Mpc software and have kits in a minute.

1 Like

Yes, considering all these features they could make sense.

I prefer to stick with the sequencers/workflow I already have, so it’s a no go for me. Too bad, I always thought they could be the holy grail of sample organization and management…

1 Like

Also XO has this ‘Accentuator’ feature that is crazy good… but, yeah, I hear you, if you don’t have the space, time or inclination for another drum sequencer, I don’t blame ya.

If you’re using it in DAW you could always open 2 instances. I rarely make kits more than 8 pads though. The rest get sampled into. I’ve not used it like this but I’m pretty sure you can drag and drop from it too, you just have to do the thing where it bounces down and processes it first. It gives you a clean option and a processed one to choose from iirc

Weird I found it to be very good, all the sounds are clustered quite similarly for me and stabs vs kicks are separated by colour. I have an absolute fuckload of samples in it. I haven’t found it to be random at all, the kicks are red, cymbals are orange, hi hats are near that maybe yellow(?) etc. Blue is foley and random fx/vocal samples. Shame it’s not working for you man, no idea why. No one NEEDS either really but for me it’s a godsend. You can absolutely make kits quickly with just an MPC or even less than that

Tried fitting a ssd sata drive damn thing was tight to fit in. The cable wouldn’t puss in far enough, has anyone else had this problem?

When you trigger a sample in a drum program can you set it to note on or are they always one shots,
I want the sample to stop playing when the note in the grid view stops…

Really liking this mpc!

Note on, hold or note off.
You select this from the ‘master’ page I think (not at my desk, the first page of the drum program)

1 Like

No, I’ve never gone as far as eight myself. But as I recall someone had heard similar about ten tracks a couple of weeks ago, and checking the current manual still showed it to be ten, which I think the original poster then confirmed - there should be some posts a bit further up the thread.

I think the eight limit is built around the limits of the RAM, because all audio is currently stored there - so a blank project has enough RAM to cover eight full-length audio tracks, plus a bit extra. A lot of the RAM get eaten up by the OS, though, so it’s possible with optimisation they could free up room for some extra tracks, even without implementing streaming. But it’s also worth bearing in mind that audio tracks are just one element - you can actually hold longer stretches of audio (up to 20m) in regular samples, or clips, where you don’t have the eight track limit.

Audio tracks make more sense on the Force really, with its arranger view. On the MPC a 5m audio track requires you to have a corresponding 5m sequence, which can be a hassle, so a common way of using them at full length is to build a set of sequences up into a song, then export it all as a new sequence and lay the audio track over the top. Shorter audio tracks are still useful, obviously, for stuff like evolving filter work on external gear. The Force just gives you a little more flexibility in how to approach them, at least as the current operating systems stand.

1 Like

No idea why this won’t fit the cables don’t push in far enough?

There is a black plastic sheet that isn’t in the videos I’ve seen and it’s stopping me from being able to move the cables :neutral_face: it might have been added for heat protection but it’s made it impossible to install the side correctly

I fitted a SSD a few weeks ago. I just could push the cable back in, was a relative easy fit. I own the Live II Retro, but I think that makes no difference.

1 Like

Thanks man, I’m pretty good at this type of thing normally but it doesn’t seem possible with mine… it might be the cables under the plastic are not in the right spot on mine to push them in?

Pretty frustrating and I don’t want to brake my new ssd trying to jam it in

Mine was a bit tight too, and the cable was the wrong way round. I jammed it in and it seems fine though.

Thanks I got it to fit without screwing it to the plate but I reopened it because wanted to fit it properly…

It was extremely tight to fit the first time which I didn’t enjoy risking breaking things…

Seems like a bad design or the plastic is an afterthought for heat protection they threw in