MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I love that the video describes the speaker as being “professional”–as opposed to, I guess, some kid’s school project? I should hope so…

1 Like

Ya…I prefer the smaller size I’ve got. Speaker is a big miss for me. Headphones, they do the trick and don’t force what you’re doing on other people.
Weird spot for the speaker too. Under your hands :thinking:

The new Firm update is more exciting than this. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Yea I don’t get the MKll at all. What’s the point? Is the processor better? The speaker is gimmicky af.

1 Like

Trying to get that OP1 market? With no FM radio it’s half baked :smiling_imp:
I think they realized they missed not having CV on the Live. And not having the buttons was just shortsighted. Still, I’ll say it til I’m demented, no function buttons is infuriating and mk2 doesnt address it.

2 Likes

Maybe the next update will feature streaming audio over usb. I’d love to record my jams straight into the computer on multiple channels, instead of 2

1 Like

This update to the MPC Live is more to get it in between the One and X. The cheaper One had features Live was missing. And i would guess people will enjoy the CV outs.

1 Like

I’m going the other way. Keeping the mk1 and just picked up a 2500 with JJOSXL. I have been very minimal with my setups in recent years so this move goes against my ethos.

1 Like

in regard to JJOS: that’s what I miss most on the Live - being able to edit the note/pad grid using cursor keys (even tho the live doesn’t have cursor keys :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Don’t need em. Shift [pad] is quick.
Once you got em in mem…it’s great!
Dedicateds are awesome…but the pads are almost as.

The screen does seem to be more responsive on the Mk2 judging from this video. My screen def doesn’t respond on touch so reliably and instantaneously :slight_smile:

1 Like

No need to upgrade to Live II from me…
No use for the speaker, CV outs and extra buttons…Sticking with my trusty Live version 1!I’m pleased because AKAI will support it with the exact same features in the upcoming days and months :grin:

3 Likes

This is a great tutorial video for all current gen MPCs :slight_smile:

1 Like

That could be firmware though. New firmware, released this week might give us all an improvement.

1 Like

Totally unrelated to the Mk2 but not to the MPC Live:

If any of you struggle with the fact that the MPC cannot loop pads in the same way eg an SP404 can (ie trigger pad to loop sample indefinitely till pad is pressed again) there’s a workaround.

Akai responds to this feature request with the message “use clip programs!” BUT the issue with clip programs seemingly is that once you’re on a track with a clip program and you change tracks, all playback of clips stops. This is obviously stupid and sort of defeats the purpose.

However, I stumbled across a post on the mpc-forum by JeriKo Jackson (from 2018 mind you) where he suggests that if one loads a sample into the Sample Edit mode and sets it to “Loop” there, then assigns it to a clip program, that clip can then be triggered and will continue playing back even when one changes the track-in-focus mid performance.

This allows the performer to use clip programs to playback loops à la SP404 and then switch over to eg a drum track and finger drum over the clips’ playback. So effectively it resolves the above mentioned feature request.

Apologies if this isn’t news to most of you, for me, I just stumbled upon this solution (the Sample Edit trick) after reading pages upon pages of complaints about the MPC’s inability to on/off sample loops in drum programs AND the issue of clip programs stopping playback upon track changes.

Hope this helps someone on here :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Quite a few things I’ve really missed to be honest. I didn’t want to go too far OT.
Obviously the new update addressed a major deficiency in the new models. I still absolutely NEED tempo change events in standalone as well as quick access to time sig. I’m sick of waiting for it.

1 Like

That’s a while back when clip tracks were sort of broken. It’s been fixed now and is the only method of getting pads to loop sounds without recording them into the sequencer.
Pad Mode is a feature of JJOS. You can set pads to loop at different quantized rates and latch them. Super fun.
New gen still missing basic stuff. I’m sure the new stretch algo along with clips will make someone, somewhere happy.

1 Like

Yea I have an mpc studio black that I bought used. I’m shocked that akai gave me the mpc software license for free knowing I bought it used. So I’m sure your MK I will get love from akai for years to come.

Interesting choices for the MkII to say the least. I would honestly buy an MPC One if it had a speaker and internal battery (seems like those additions would truly make it a great portable beatmaking machine) even if it was $100 more for $799, but with the Live MkII likely breaching the $1000 price tag I find other products providing a more convincing package.

I’m curious as to the quality of the “studio” quality speakers of the Live MkII. I’m not expecting much but if Apple was able to pull off such great sounding speakers in their new 16" MacBook Pro, perhaps Akai was able to do something similar.

Have you taken the protective screen off? :wink:

I don’t think that can be experienced from watching a vid. Don’t know how many takes we’re shot to get a prefect performance.
I did notice in some of his screen grabs that it didn’t respond and he had to do it a couple times. (Maybe they wont notice) :grimacing:

I’ve left my screen on (needs to come off) and I have no response issues.

Are they claiming a better screen? (I haven’t watched yet)

1 Like

Lol definitely took off the screen protector. My screen behaves erratically. Sometimes it’s perfect, no issues, and sometimes I could punch through the freaking thing…makes me wonder, is it the screen or is it maybe my finger!!!.. :joy:

EDIT: re screen, I’ve read some claims/reports that the MPC One had a slightly improved screen but haven’t seen anything official on that, hence the question/observation re Mk2.