MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

After watching the Tube Digger vid I realized this is this not only just a multi timbral device it’s multi timbral on steroids! You can connect several inputs from various devices. This is insane.

4 Likes

Substantial update. Addresses core functionality and workflow. Long awaited features and a few new tricks.

4 Likes

This looks interesting

I like the QLink overlay, Quick reference when you forget what’s what. The send midi to another track was surprisingly cool. Also quick change of tracks is awesome. Nice update, it is amazing how powerful this thing is.

1 Like

with 2.8 internal MIDI routing … raises the spectre of internal MIDI processors (input from one track, process and output to another etc). The kind of thing that we hassled NI to add to Maschine for years (did they ever add hosting of MIDI VSTs?) but found workarounds anyway.

I don’t even know if this is a particularly good idea but it I wanted to get in first.

1 Like

This is the update I’ve been praying for. Every aspect of my workflow onstage just changed for the better. Halle-freakin-lujah!

That said, leave it to Akai to do an entire overview video, and somehow fail, amidst the sales spraff, to demonstrate the one point we all wanted multi-timbral MIDI for: i.e. to simply be able to access the programs on each track, on different MIDI channels, from an external controller. Seriously, I think he covered every scenario but that one, leaving us all to talk-it-out amongst ourselves.

Thankfully Tube Digga has his finger on the pulse, and knows how to use words.

Cheers!

9 Likes

So, like, I could get the Samples From Mars complete set and convert the Maschine kits into MPC kits (which SFM doesn’t support) without having to manually select everything? Interesting…

1 Like

Third party Maschine expansions aren’t supported unfortunately (maybe in a future update) but you can throw all the samples into a generic folder and have the program create random kits for you in MPC format. All in all it is very useful, it took me about 15-20 minutes yesterday evening and my MPC now has like 100 new drum kits. There are also a few vids on youtube that show how it works exactly.

2 Likes

I wonder if I can pull kits from Logic Drummer :confused: those are pretty tite sounding.

You just need the wav files and you’re good to go. Other file formats are also supported but afaik wav is best for MPC. I wish it would extract the files from Kontakt libraries as well…

1 Like

Well, drummer has all kinda of params that are adjustable to liven them up. Area you hit, vel, mic position…could probably make a good sample bank with velocity etc.

Something intricate like that is probably still better done manually to make sure every sample is in the right spot with the right settings. I‘ve been looking for a drum kit like that to practice fingerdrumming and I only found this for the MPC so far. Sounds good but 30€ for just one drum kit feels a bit much…

1 Like

This is free if you are using a Mac and only want it for building MPC programs from wavs.

https://www.mybunnyhug.org/software/

1 Like

Does it work with the latest MPC´s? Description says: " MPC Pad 187 is a program editor for the Akai MPC 1000, MPC 2500, and MPC 500. " I´m not familiar with the older MPC´s at all so I don´t know if the kits are interchangeable.

The MPC live/X/One can open old MPC programs. Not used this myself but it should work fine.

I find it easiest to build programs in the MPC software and export to MPC Live. Any benefits in using these third party software options?

The one I shared earlier lets you convert several Maschine expansions at once into MPC kits, so no dragging and arranging of single one shots necessary. For “regular samples” (meaning not Maschine expansions folder structure) it creates random kits that can create lots of happy accidents and interesting kits that one probably wouldn´t come up with. In general it´s just a huge time saver.

Edit: I never used the MPC software though so I can´t really compare. But since I have quite some Maschine expansions this was the best option for me.

2 Likes

Oh–I’m new to the latest MPC ecosystem (recently got a One). Does that mean I could import the Samples from Mars kits in MPC 2000/2500 format? Has anyone tried this who can report success?

Taken from https://www.akaipro.com/kb/akai-pro-mpc-live-and-mpc-2-0-frequently-asked-questions/#legacy_files

Will the MPC Live support legacy file types?

Absolutely! The MPC Live will be fully compatible with projects, programs and sequences from previous MPC versions and legacy hardware MPC’s such as the MPC5000, MPC4000, MPC3000, MPC2500/2500XL, MPC1000, and MPC500.

The MPC Live will support the following file types .AKP, . ALL, .IPT, .PGM, .PRJ, . SND, .MID, .SEQ, . APS, .50k, and .50s.

1 Like

But not the JJOS versions right? :frowning:
I was getting all pumped, then not pumped.

I wanna try the Autechre prog files in my MPC. But, if I recall, it’s JJOS.