MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

For me, as a mpc touch user, the live is a no-brainer. I’m ready to grab it.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the UK price, but this looks more and more like a pre-order to me.

@atahanasius: Can you tell us a bit more about the Touch? How responsive is the screen for slicing and editing samples?

How are the effects?

Curious for info on -

How many audio/sample tracks.
How many midi tracks.
Arpeggio details.
LFO(s) details.
Polyphony per sample track.
How many fx per track.
How many master fx.
Timestrech + polyphonic sample.
Looper functions.
Clip launch functions.
Can you specific recording inputs settings like OT (giving you four mono inputs) and use all 4 simultaneously.
Length of warranty.
Are there user banks of X/Y pad settings that could be seen as a kind of alternative to OT scenes. Or only one parameters setting available per track/program?
Probably a bunch of other stuff I’m not thinking of yet…

Looks very promising tho, even if it doesn’t tick ALL of the boxes above…

Hoping stuff like track count and polyphony are based on available ram and aren’t overly crippled for caution’s sake.

Just jizzed in my pants a little!!! :joy::joy::joy: U.K. sales info pleeeaaase!

1 Like

Well, it’s quite difficult for me to describe the touch pros/cons objectively, as I’m not a very experienced electronic musician, and the MPC (renaissance and touch) is the first serious gear I owned 4 years ago. I can’t compare it to other hybrid solutions like maschine, push, etc. as I don’t know them. I learned all my bad noob habits on modern mpc’s…

But, for my purpose, the mpc touch fits perfectly to my needs : very (very) fast workflow. I can start, pre-produce, and play live advanced beats with lot of samples and midi sequences of many vst (plus my A4) in no time. But in order to really produce a finished track (advanced mixing, etc.) I need to export my MPC tracks in (in my case) logic or bitwig.

The screen is not very responsive compared to an Ipad, but it never lag. It has a bit of latency, but always keep enough precise to edit samples/chop (In fact, recording and editing samples manually with this thing is a pure joy :grin:)

Considering the effects, some are usuable, sometimes very good to my taste (I like the bit crusher, the delays, compressor and EQ, and for a reason I cannot explain to myself, the LP and HP fillters), other’s are almost unusuable (reverbs, too metalic/harsh) but none imho can really be described as “pro” audio tools.

In hybrid mode (conected to laptop), I use to insert my other effects plugins (waves, izotope, etc.)

I will buy the MPC live for sure, as It became necessary to my setup. My main question is about the integration of the promised AIR instruments effects bundle in standalone mode : will it be integrated ITB, or only usuable from the laptop verion of software ? I don’t think so. But I don’t really care : The stand alone mode looks like it’s enough for me to travel with my mpc and make some finger drumming, imrpvised jam sessions with friends, sampling on the fly, playing pre-arranged and bounced tracks, and preparing further projects to develop in hybrid mode.

Hope my opinion helps !

3 Likes

I love that something like this has emerged. Super excited to see what it does to the competition and how this plays out.

3 Likes

Sure. I’ll wait till bugs are cornered out though ^^

3 Likes

Electron doesn’t have much choice now but to update the OT if they want to keep up with the joneses, OT is amazing but… the hardware is becoming outdated now, limitations wearing thin. I think this is the start of a new generation of proper dedicated samplers. Exciting to see more.

3 Likes

Or they might choose to step out of this particular sampler market once OT end lifecycle is reached.

4 Likes

Round up of current info -

The whole ‘only 8 audio tracks when standalone’ things sounds possibly disappointing, depending on the implications of that.

I’d kind of imagined being able to go back and forth with projects (of at least 16 tracks) between computer and standalone, freezing tracks with vsts where necessary to be able to play them standalone etc. Seems like there’d often still be a disconnect/housekeeping work to be done between the two situations tho. Not quite as fluid as I’d been thinking it would be in that sense. Not a dealbreaker tho.

Indeed… that’s why I said “if” x

Hard to guess what Elektron are working on but a shame if they don’t do an OT2. They must have a ton of ideas for it even outside the hundreds of ideas people have asked for. Be a shame to not see that box get made. I’d kill for polyphonic tracks on my OT. And if they could do it portable with a battery then even better :wink: Sadly it seems they’ve probably been too distracted with overbridge and Fuzz boxes to have an OT2 anywhere near completion. Would love to be wrong tho.

1 Like

Wonder what the battery life is like on the Live? Battery life on OP1 is pretty impressive. Guessing Live is much more power hungry tho. Hoping it’s at least 4 hours or so…

Which brings us back to the whole "whats next for elektron… " debate…
The specs look good enough to give the OT a proper run for its money…

I cant help but feel a little nostalgic of the good old fashioned MPC’s though… built like tanks.

Too much touch screen and plastic makes it look a little gimmicky to me. I prefer the retro knobs and buttons without the modern cases etc etc…

2 Likes

I’ve read a few reviews of the latest mpc software and it seems quite good, but was off to a bit of a shaky start

Music Radar quoting £700/£1500 which is a fair bit less than I was expecting. Very tempting…

2 Likes

Link?

1 Like

yay

4 Likes

Ugh. Typically lame initial video that doesn’t really tell/show me anything I want to know haha. Looks potentially amazing tho. Cool that you can fit a SSD inside and battery is 4 to 5 hours.