MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

1. This would be a matter of running the tracks within the same sequence and muting + fading the volumes. There’s plenty of tracks so should work ok
  2. You cannot use more than one stereo sample per audiotrack, so this would require some workarounds
  3. When you change a sequence, pgm chang messages will be sent for every MIDI program upon entering the new sequence (this is how it works on older MPCs)

Hmmm. Maybe I’ll wait and see 'til people get their hands on units, and see how people approach this one.

Indeed, p-locks are just one way of doing parameter automation via a “knobby” control surface. Ultimately you can get the same kinds of results with maschine, mpc or toraiz.

1 Like

I think that the beauty of plocks is that you don’t need a whole lane of automation if you just change 1 parameter on 1 step in a long sequence…
General statement

1 Like

my swing’o’meter has adjusted itself -
buying the Digitakt 60% - MPC Live 40%

this will no doubt change before 31/03/17

:grinning:

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Digitakt vs. Octatrack

Nice to see them out in the wild, too bad the video doesn’t say much…

P-locks are simply step modulation. The fact that elektron boxes make it easy to apply copious amounts of step modulation does not alter that fact.

Push has not added any features to Live. All the features are in the software and can be accessed without having Push, albeit Push may offer a more fluid way to access certain features.

Live, Maschine and MPC feature step modulation and allow it to be applied to numerous parameters whilst the sequencer is running.

Some devices only allow you to record continuous modulation and don’t feature step modulation (e.g. Electribe, JD-Xi), which I suspect is the case with the Volca Keys but as I don’t own one I can’t state for certain.

On paper no, you’re right it’s the same thing, but in practical use Elektron p-locks is a very different function/workflow to traditional step modulation. And standalone MPC doesn’t ‘seem’ to have that from what I’ve seen. Maybe it does have something comparable and I just missed it in vids. It seems to have good step mod workflow for velocity from what I’ve seen. But I haven’t seen the same standalone histogram editing for fx parameters etc.

That’s all I was trying to say :wink: Wasn’t trying to be a dick or argue for the sake of it, I probably didn’t word it very well. Let’s move on…

I want it. Eye on the X. I just fear that it will feel like working with a computer, because it’s practically a computer.

I just fear it will be like doing maintenance on the Millenium Falcon since it’s not much smaller!
But seriously those CV outs will be interesting…

1 Like

Everything’s practically a computer these days, even refrigerators… At least it doesn’t look like one, it’s the same same laptop vibe when your using a computer where it’s the same interface that you worked on all day or browsed the web or whatever. Just having it be in a dedicated box with controls that looks totally different than a laptop I think will help the focus a lot…

3 Likes

Good point! However, I’ve tried Maschine and Push 2 and connected deeply with those with the frequency of an eclipse

Ah yes, the MFPC!

1 Like

No email, no social and no background apps running will definitely focus the mind (even if it is a computer underneath).

4 Likes

I pre ordered mpc live today (and sold my rytm yesterday).

1 Like

Hahaha it’s always give me electrical choc when I see that, at my home there’s is one thing will never move that’s the analog Rytm… but on the other side the Jomox Alpha base will probably join the AR when released :stuck_out_tongue:

It could be different, if you are not too much into touch-screen moping.

The new MPCs will make sample editing much more easy and flexible rather then on the old machines, and this will be a big advantage. Up to now I can chop samples much easier on a computer, if I do not only use a kind of “automatic” chop-shop function, which rarly does, what I need.

But this said, the interface of a MPC is more of a pad-performed instrument, a recording device with traditional transport buttons, a mixer with knobs/faders, and some number-keys, a cursor-block, and a jog/data wheel. The experience is totally different compared to keyboard, mouse, and screen. It’s more physical, we can use more muscle memory and that frees us to “listen”.

1 Like

Yeh compared to ableton/push in theory it should make a huge different to how it feels, just the fact that the screen is down there on the box next to your hands on the mpc. I know push has an OK screen and the pads as step indicators etc but still feels very much like a daw controller to me. A good one but still… Very conscious that I’m using ableton on a computer. Maybe that comes partly from having used ableton a fair amount prior to owning Push 2? Never used mpc or mpc software so I’m hoping mpc will feel more focused like a standalone piece of hardware, which it is, so I’m guessing it will…

1 Like