Most disconcerting (non-violent) films you've seen?

did you get a second date? or ever hear from her again?

1 Like

Surprisingly yes. :rofl:

3 Likes

I didn’t know. It had a cool bit of cover art :rofl:

I actually was quite proud of myself for having made it through to the end, like, a weird sense of accomplishment haha

Difficult to decide but probably Haneke’s Das weiße Band, Der siebente Kontinent or Mike Leigh’s Naked.

Oh and the Jam sketches.

1 Like

I agree with everything said about this film above, but it’s also the best film about addiction I’ve ever seen.

That is one heavy film. It really lives up to it’s name. That fire extinguisher scene still haunts me.

I watched it when it came out, and I had an awful case of mononucleosis and let me tell you, it was one of the most dreadful combinations I’ve ever experienced.

“a kid of about 12 years old picked it out to buy. Whoops.” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Finding it hard to think of non-violent disturbing movies (I can give a big list of those), but…

Any 80’s UK kids remember being made to watch this in school?
Terrifying!

2 Likes

I think we watched it at the Curzon in Soho and people were yelling, scuffles broke out and at least one person vomited. My ex wouldn’t look or talk to me for a good few hours after that. It’s a wonder that we stayed for the whole thing.

2 Likes

Hahahaha. After reading your initial reply, I stared wondering if it was so awful just bcs I was alone when I watched it. Seems like it was just a different flavor of awful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So fucking awful I just had to own it on dvd.

1 Like

Can’t remember why but I had a massive panic attack watching this.

That’s why I said “mostly” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amour, by Michael Haneke. I’ve never had such an agonizing experience with a movie.

2 Likes

first date I had with my wife we went to see Reign Over Me at the recommendation of a mutual friend. it wasn’t so much disconcerting as it was just sad and… not all that great. somehow we made it fifteen years :rofl:

2 Likes

Any Gaspar Noe. Beware!

3 Likes

Some great suggestions so far, need to research some of the titles! Here’s mine:

Dancer in the Dark, only watched it twice, it’s very heavy

Kids, life in the 90s!

Memento, edited backwards, not perfect but worth a view or two

4 Likes

Haven’t seen it so can’t comment on that much other than perhaps a too positive movie on the first date sets the bar way too high. Maybe it’s wise to aim low immediately and start building from there hehehe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not to split hairs but a lot of these films are full on disturbing rather than merely disconcerting.

2 Likes