Most analog sounding analog synth

definitely the EMS Synthi

6 Likes

It’s the cigarette tucked between index and middle finger that makes it the most analog.

3 Likes

no. i LOVE them. they do screaming and roaring jobs stunning.

1 Like

What about eurorack? Is there anything that stands out from the crowd in terms of “analogueness”?

I still avoid building a system but sometimes see modules like Erica Plasma, ACL modules, that strange fuzz with indicator… all that make me want a small hi end System at some point.

My current analog VCO is the Doepfer’s A 111-4: a beautiful sounding module, with resonable time to get in tune.
Some years ago I was exhited by how Volca Bass sounds warm and alive.

1 Like

I’d be quite curious to your thoughts on a syntrx if you ever get time on one… it is quite stable and playable over a large range, a bit like a half way point between a 2600 and a synthi. Probably the most analog thing I own, but I can also tell it is an Erica synths design, things are tuned towards naturally overdriven signals and feedback. It has a buffed matrix so it looses a bit of its unpredictable nature but if you patch enough feedback loops into the matrix stuff starts to become very uncertain again.

The other most analog thing I own is an old ewi unit, there is definitely something to these units, you do have to program all your patches from scratch in sort of crappy menu diving fashion if you want to play it with midi because it is meant to be played with breath control. Really not a joy to use but they sound great.

Metasonix stuff always seemed interesting… but almost a different thing when you are running everything through tubes.

1 Like

Alas, I am never likely to have the fortune to play one, as I live in a very small, rural town in Kansas so have no access. And I’m not likely to buy one, as I think I have it covered.

Having said that, if I didn’t have a VCS3 - and given the decades-long turnaround time for a new one - I would give the Syntrx a very deep consideration. As you say, it seems to be somewhere between the 2600 and EMS. The unbuffered matrix in the VCS3 is certainly a source of surprises and I love it enough that I’ve never installed any Portabellabz matrix buffers despite having bought a set.

Nevertheless, the Syntrx is new and that is potentially a big ‘plus’ for me. I struggle to maintain my collection of vintage synths and a new synth with some of the same objectives would be most welcome (I would have bought Korg’s beautiful 2600FS after reviewing it for Electronic Musician if I’d been allowed to. Alas, that wasn’t an option).

4 Likes

That was precisely how I felt, and lockdown was the perfect time to bring one in at a decent price too. Good luck!

Such a synth.

There’s one on sale at Bax

1 Like

My Harvestman polivox vco thru diy Yusynth Moog filter clone is sweeeet.
Macbeth oscillators in eurorack :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I think the limited run is near its end. The IIIP recently sold out (:cry:) and I see very few of these in stock now. I’ve been told by one retailer that there are a only few Model 10s remaining to be built.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it digital tho

“ 2. The second point where you can find something digital is the delay. But in fact, the digital here is just the memory as on both ends of it we have PWM converters that have very shaggy sound and behavior, and all the rest is still analog – the clock generator has an analog modulation input, the feedback loop is 100% analog, the input and output filters, the mixer of the two taps and wet\dry knob –all of them are 100% analog, while in contemporary FX processors all of that is digital and is in fact a piece of internal code of a DSP.”

https://somasynths.com/faq/

2 Likes

My Erica Fusion System sounds very analogue.
Probably all the tube saturation.
Also the bbd that’s actually a detune (or the detune that’s actually a bbd) makes everything sound very alive and imprecise, in a good way.

2 Likes

I nearly bought one of these after the SonicState review of it. The sound knocked me off my feet and let’s face it, it’s delicious to look at!

Not sure why I never bought it though.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised that they have one at all. If only I had ten grand knocking around spare…

1 Like

It’s a lot of dough, and many great pieces of gear were sacrificed to get mine, but it was absolutely worth it to me. Thankfully, there are some worthy alternatives (Mos-lab, Synth Werks) so it’s still possible to realize the dream (and for less money).

2 Likes

And to us at Sonic Sound Synthesis for that session you did for us alone!

2 Likes

In the analog realm I am fortunate enough to own a few bits…

Regrading Moogs, I’ve tried them all… my favourite remains the M15 overall. I’ve had mine for a couple of years and listening to that 5U sawtooth is like hearing the sound of space… passing the filter through an MF 104m is epic… I tried the M10 and loved the sound but the VCOs disnt track well and required constant tuning.

IIIp is fantastic but too much real estate and super expensive.

If I had to rank my favourite it would be too hard to choose as most of my toys are analog… but my top 5 go to synths in no particular order:

1. Model 15
  2. TVS Pro
  3. Buchla Easel
  4. Avalon
  5. OB-6
3 Likes

That said, its my next acquisition… i think will pair well with the 15

1 Like

Precisely why I have my eye out for a Model 15… :blush:

Hahahah…

Do you have this recorded? Would love to hear

1 Like