Most analog sounding analog synth

Black corp machines sound adorable! Would love to see more!

Nope. I mean you can play it okay in 15 minutes, but it’ll likely need to be re-tuned pretty quickly after that. Some days it takes no more than a half hour, other days it takes one, two, or more. Those 901 oscillators sound amazing, but they are extremely susceptible to the environment in the room. As you might imagine, calibrating them is not fun. Luckily that only has to be done rarely!

6 Likes

You are not wrong. If I know I am going to use the Moog, I switch it on when I wake up.

1 Like

agree to all but i can’t imagine Lyra being digital; that’s the thing!

these days virtual analog synths sound quite analog to me and ‘normal’ analog synths don’t sound exclusively analog anymore. these days analog synths can maaaybe show their exclusive analog-ness only at extremes, like extreme filter freq modulations but virtual analog synths are starting to sound good even there. i’m starting to see less and less need for analog synths. Lyra 8 and Analog Heat is the only analog gear that i still own

1 Like

If you love it then warmup time doesn’t matter anyway right ? I won’t complain about warming up the voyager anymore.

1 Like

I had an elmyra for a weekend and it was a really fun device.

Exactly. I knew what I was getting into before buying the Model 10. I was well aware that Wendy Carlos retuned her 901 oscillators between each overdub on Switched On Bach. Warm-up time and frequent re-tuning is part of the experience of using a design as old as this. A small incovenience for a lovely sound.

2 Likes

I concur, when I built my x0xb0x I was lucky enough to have most of the vintage parts (mostly NOS) and got the other critical parts like caps too, as a result it sounds very nice, for some things I prefer it to my 303s.

Also I have tapes of my 303, 202, 101, 606 etc from the 80’s, to be honest the sound has not changed from what I can hear, albeit cassette is not a great benchmark but the ageing of components does not appear to dramatically make much difference.

Also I have 3 303’s they all sound a little, for emphasis a little different but not as different as a real 303 and a cheap clone, which is a lot different, to me.

1 Like

Yeah, agree… more than that I don’t think this analog thing is necessary good for music, well, if one works on “vintage elektro track”, 80s / 70s covers, or big sounding pop / rock it would be logical to use vintage synths or Moog One or else, otherwise it’s more a purist thing.

But I don’t want to dive into contradictions and subjective judgments, just want to share my love here to most magical, lush and pleasant analog synth tech available: )

1 Like

just from the gear I currently own, it’s hard to decide between two - ARP 2600 & Buchla Easel Command 208C

the former sounds exactly how you ‘expect’ an analogue synth to sound ( well, how I expect it to ) whilst the latter is so sort of alive, & ‘woody’ that it almost seems like an acoustic-electronic instrument in a way a can’t really explain !

2 Likes

I really like the Moog Matriarch for this - something about those slightly off oscillators and the amazing delay takes me back to the 1960s

6 Likes

Yeah, totally agree. From my experience they sounded exactly the same back in the dayz as serviced ones nowadays. No need to mystifying this : )

I ended up selling og fkkd up 303 and keep using RE303 - much better sequencer, more options, and sound was really “better”, again with vintage nos parts.

Another thing is 808 - still keep it but it has some problems and I think some parts could be replaced / serviced. Sounds good but a bit dull and not 100% tight, at least when comparing it to samples or System 80 880. But still very massive and raw. Would love to get it back to the duty. Another magic machine)

1 Like

Delay on Matriarch is the best! Maybe worth buying only because of it!

1 Like

Good to call Buchla almost “acoustic” sounding. Closer to physical Modeling than analog in some ways… wondering how they achieved that : )

The Matriarch. I guess everyone has their own idea of how analog sounds but for me it’s the most analog sounding synth I’ve come across. And yeah, the delay is v lovely.

3 Likes

The lpg’s tend to make the dynamics of a sound cause physical-like behaviour (dampened when quiet) and also the wave folders on Buchla designs introduce lots of dissonant and harsh sounding harmonics.

2 Likes

There are way too many synths (vintage & modern ones) nowadays, so at least I can‘t tell from my real life experience which is the most analog sounding analog synth nowadays.

From what I have, I think also the Vintage MS20 is nice. Another Vintage one i like is the Roland SH1. And from the newer ones the Analogue Solutions Fusebox.

Herr are two YT-Examples I like:

5 Likes

Monotron (really all the MS-10/MS-20 and offshoots) but the Monotron is so uncontrolled it feels very much like voltage in my ears. And then the Perfourmer for a really lush analog sound.

How do folks think the Sirin (or Minitaur) stacks up against other Moogs for “analogue-ness”? @Tchu

MFB Dominion 1 :relaxed:

5 Likes