Moog Subharmonicon

Haven’t had anything like this either, or heard it in SubH videos, which tend to feature a lot of reverb and echo. I’d definitely try separating the power as a first move, and ideally test the SubH without any other gear. You should definitely be able to do a smooth filter sweep with no clicks or noise, for example.

1 Like

had another little sesh today, first good look at the dfam. it’s a pretty serious beast and tough to tame. kinda wishing I had an m32 instead, but you do certainly need percussive things from time to time, hope there’s lots of scope to use it in interesting ways

I think the scratchy sound might be when I had the EG locked, so I’ll have to investigate. I don’t think I notice it when the sequencer is running

I’m sure there are secrets to find with these things but gee, I’m finding it basically instantaneous to get up and running. zero learning curve, just try things until u find something u like. so cool

5 Likes

This. When it comes to patching there’s more trial and error involved (at least for me) but even after nine months of regular use I still find the raw tone of the SubH pure gold even without patching.

4 Likes

I’m really enjoying the experience of the machine gradually unfolding through repeat visits. This experience itself isn’t unfamiliar, as the process with other gear has been such, but the immediacy of everything makes the familiarisation palpable, like I’m noticing the learning happening as it happens.

It might be a mixed blessing never to have patched stuff before either, and since I’m not up on the lingo and esoteric secrets of what signals do what to each other, I just spent the latter half of today’s little session with the patch bay, plugging stuff in to see what happens (or doesn’t happen). Great fun!

I also tried (and failed) to twiddle the 4 notes from each sequencer to do an odd version of the first 8 notes from Pinball Wizard. :smiley:

1 Like

best way to learn i reckon!

I have found that if I have too fixed an idea about what I want out of the SubH then it can be frustrating, I like to be open to where the patching takes me!

2 Likes

Got myself a SubH a few months ago and I love it!
I didn’t use the internal sequencer much tbh but the raw sound is sooooo good!

Here mostly used as a bass with delay from the Empress Echosystem:

Here a four chord progression (basic sequencing) with the DFAM sequencing one of the sub OSC with its 8 pitch steps while the DN takes over via MIDI from section to section:

12 Likes

Compelling performances, Blake.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Thank you!

Tried one out a few months ago and didn’t like it at all. Much prefer the dfam and even that one iv decided on the vermona twincussion. No moog for me

Just starting to feel the magic of this little gem.

After half a dozen sessions with it things are starting to gel.

One thing I have found is that the sequencers bring some sweet harmonisation when I’m using the quantizer in 8 ET mode. I’ve also enjoyed running the tempo low and changing the step-notes whilst they’re being triggered, or else twiddling the VCO freq. knobs.

Funny thing is, even though I’m not a complete stranger to synthesis (I’ve been a long time Monomachine user and my first synth was a Juno 6), I’m still aquainting myself with the subtleties of the VCF attack and delay as far as how they sculpt the sound. This is all part and parcel of feeling my way into things I’m sure, and it’s nice to have the experience of not knowing and learning by doing.

I’ve also now got my eye on the DFAM as the next sparring partner. I’ll probably invest in a 3 tier stand and admit that I’m bound the go for the Mother-32 further down the line.

4 Likes

I love my dfam and grandmother so one day id like to add this or a mother32. Does anyone know of a solid 2 tier stand that would be able to go behind and above my grandmother and hold both dfam and subharmonicon?

Immediately thought of these Mirai Varidock stands although I don’t know if there’s a two-tier option going above a GM. Two of those next to each other would probably look great. To be honest, for me they’re a bit too complex for what I think a stand should do.

I have a DFAM and SubH behind and above my Matriarch and I’m using two of these Millenium laptop clamp stands next to each other. ACTUALLY, one of these would fit both SubH and DFAM if you can think of a good way to manage the cables (an angled audio cable would work but the power is trickier) behind the first one.

You should note this stand brings the device forward quite a bit, though, so your table has to be deep enough for them to work (and not end up RIGHT above the GM).

1 Like

I succumbed to GAS (partly caused by this thread) and picked on up from BAX for £622 new, which was pretty good deal.

Opened at work this afternoon and within ten minutes got a cool sequence going before someone came into my office and asked what I was doing.

When I got home had half an hour playing around with SubH and my digitone - what a lovely pairing. Now I should RTFM.

4 Likes

Very helpful - thank you!

1 Like

The adventure continues.
Just ordered the Mother-32 to join my Subharmonicon, amidst all kinds of GASSY noise suggesting I get the DFAM and a 3 tier stand at the same time.
Prudence wins out.

3 Likes

Subharmonicon experience update…for what it’s worth.

Something else “clicked” today, though I expect it differs from user to user, my experience with this little beastie isn’t altogether different to approaching the Lyra 8, except this particular (similar) click wasn’t as immediate.

The experience is very much one of the Subharmonicon being like a big chunk of stone each time I switch it on. I’m not one for recapturing what happened last time, so I give the dials a good old twiddle and generally start from a bit of chaos and steadily work on mining something that pulls me in, and then tweak from there.

A bit like with the Lyra, it’s something like a game of hide and seek. The instrument really makes me work but it’s not in a hyper-focused strained kind of way, and even though I have to travel through the bum-noted, lop-sided sequenced asteroid belt, it’s tremendous fun when “today’s sequence” reveals itself.

Onwards---->>>

14 Likes

This is quite the interesting device. Not as plug and play as the DFAM for me so far, but the panel started feeling real intuitive for me after an hour of messing around, so that is good.

I definitely feel like this is a real song starting device and can go into techno realm pretty easily, which I like a lot. Fitting it into existing tracks seems possible, but to do that I had to stay basic and not get crazy with the subosc’s.

I think the way I will get best results is to start a tune with it a drum machine and the DFAM and just something going. I make house but there is some old school techno influence in there as well so I believe this could be a great fit.

Seems like tunes in Amin with the SubH tuned to C and using the 8ET scale could result in some really great stuff, but I will just need to experiment and see what I can come up with.

2 Likes

I guess this is how they get you: you buy a DFAM then a SubH and then you get into modular stuffs without even noticing it…

7 Likes

So I synched my with the Mother 32 for the first time today.
All good. I didn’t worry my little head about setting up the tuning too precisely and had a more or less atonal jam with the two.

I have a question for those that may know.

Does anyone have any top-tips for patching between the two in ways that makes for creative sequencing beyond simply playing in synch?

I was thinking in particular about ways that the Mother 32 (which I was using as the master) can interfere with the SubH sequencer in creative ways. Not that the sequencer lacks creativity, but there’s always room for more eh?

I assume you’ve already downloaded the Moog patch books? There are more online than come with the synth – especially the ones that use two devices – and they have them for all combinations of the SubH, M32, and DFAM.

If you have not, start there.

E.g., here’s one I like (discovered in these very same books): Plug the KB output on the M-32 to the VCO1 (or 2 or both) input on the SubH. This creates much longer harmonies as the SubH goes in and out of sync with the M32 sequence. It’s tricky to get it right, but works great when it does.