Moog Matriarch

Right. There’s basically nothing I dislike about the Matriarch. It was, kinda, my experience with the Matriarch that showed me I should let go of the stuff that niggles me. Someone else will have a better experience with it.

2 Likes

Yes I was surprised that I couldn’t get the matriarch to do exactly what my grandmother does (it’s close but not quite the same)—and this especially becomes apparent when you are doing big overdriven monophonic bass sounds.

The oscillators in mono mode on matriarch don’t quite seem as “simpatico” and synergistic, nor do they sound as nasty and huge as they do on G-ma. It’s a small difference but one I noticed and one I also did t anticipate

1 Like

The Matriarch is damn near perfect in every way. It is one of those synths that has kept surprising me positively the whole time I’ve had it. Can’t see myself selling it ever.

5 Likes

I just shipped mine off yesterday as well. As far as @Traindepot is concerned, I second this recommendation. I sold mine after having it for 5 years, making a ton of sounds and writing a ton of songs with it. Sold it on because I have some other polysynths that are a bit more inspiring right now, and since I bought it used before gear prices went silly I was able to walk away with a tidy profit.

1 Like

Yeah, they both have different roles for me or I’ll simply use their modules together. But Grandmother does Monosynth VERY well. The Matriarch does as well but you gotta hold back on it where the grandmother can get nasty. The reviews that flat out say that the Matriarch is just a beefy version of a Grandmkther are wrong.

1 Like

The Novation Summit looks great in this “high end poly” role, too.

We have threads discussing polys:

1 Like

Thanks for this write up! It reinforces my belief the GM is gonna be with me forever and I shouldn’t look at the matriarch as a pure upgrade.

I think its good you decided to stick to what you really like instead of going by what should be an upgrade on paper.

By the way: not bashing the matriarch at all, it seems like a lot of peoples’ favorite synth ever, but I guess its not a better grandmother but something else entirely.

1 Like

UDO super 6 for the win. The thing is magic, the depth and breadth of sounds it can produce are just wonderful, and it really feels like an instrument to be played as opposed something to be programmed / controlled.

Though for what it’s worth I also have a matriarch and think it’s phenomenal, in a totally different way.

If you don’t mind me offering an answer, it’s a completely different thing altogether.
Like it has been mentioned here many times it really hits a nice sweet spot somewhere between mono and poly synths.

There is something very special and pleasing about the way chords sound when they go through one (stereo) filter. Combined with the clever but simple mod bus that is been operated by the mod wheel it opens new possibilities that are both very nice sounding and also fun and immersive to use.

As for someone coming from modular it offers just the right amount of utility functions to be patchable into almost any kind of configuration I’ve wished so far but without being tedious or too complicated.

It’s immediate and incredibly deep at the same time which is v rare.
The filter offers so many interesting possibilities with the added glory of the CP3 mixer that distorts the sound almost like a great boutique guitar overdrive pedal.

Also the delay. That alone is worth 600-700€ IMO as it is a great and quite rare addition to any setup/studio.

I must admit I rarely patch it a whole lot bcs it just sounds so good without any complex trickery. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The delay doesn’t sound like an effects processor. It sounds like an extension of the synthesis. It’s wicked.

2 Likes

Yeah true!! Also the fact that it’s clockable and the way it behaves in sync mode when modulated is bonkers. I really love it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t replace the GM but add the Matriarch to it. I personally have two Matriarchs but could of easily went with a GM and Matriarch combo.

3 Likes

Yes, the GM is different enough that it’s worth having both. And then you have both delay and reverb!

3 Likes

I don’t have the skills for this but know a very talented wood worker. Before I hit him up I just wanted to gauge any interest to convince him it would be worth the effort :joy:. If a few more people were even remotely interested I’m sure he could be convinced to spend the time on it.

2 Likes

I would be super duper interested. But I’m in Europe, if that’s a problem.

New soft case, which Moog markets as a dust protector:

Personally I’m leaning towards a Decksaver for dust protection but maybe someone else…

I just ordered one from Stardust covers instead. Mostly for consistency … also ordered Rev2 and Pro2 covers from them.

I get a “Product couldn’t be found” when I go here https://www.stardustcovers.com/product-page/moog-matriarch

The Decksaver appears to leave room for connected patch cables - not a super generous amount of room, but just enough, just like the one I got for my MS-20 Mini

1 Like

I got that case last year for free when they did a promo where you got a case with a grandmother or matriarch purchase. Didn’t realize it had a red lining lol. I never really opened mine up.

Hahahaha ! If they don’t fix the bugs then I’ll buy this instead :joy: