Only keeping one Poly, which one?

I’ve got a difficult decision to make.
I’m getting into modular, and I’ve adopted a pretty strict “gear in/gear out” policy so I have to make way. I probably have too much gear anyway, I need to focus. All the hardware I’ve been enjoying working with lately are monos and weird synths like the Swarm and MEGAfm. I’m kind of trying to focus on keeping things that are harder to do ITB, or the sound is just undeniable. That’s getting harder and harder with the advances of VIs.

I use all my synths, but I don’t ALWAYS use all my synths. In the nature of my work and music, different projects call for different things. Sometimes I don’t use synths at all, depends on the project.

I’ve already got a list of stuff to sell, but now I have to decide which poly(s) I’m keeping:

I have Peak, Rev2 and Hydrasynth Keyboard on the block.
I have to get rid of at least one, but maybe two, depends on what other gear I decide to sell.

Peak: I can get this done with Omnisphere, but also, I love the Peak. I know it inside and out, it’s fast and it’s overall, fundamental sound is really good and really reliable. I use this on most productions, but I can probably use Omnisphere with a slightly less fun factor. I rarely use the Peak for leads or sequences, normally just pads and big poly sounds.

Rev2 8voice module: I like the idea of having something from the Dave Smith family and “that” sound. I don’t use it as much as my other stuff, but when I do fire it up, it always does an excellent job. I think the aggressiveness I can get out of this synth without getting harsh is difficult to achieve in the box. The top end is beautiful. I think I might be able to get this done with Repro, maybe out through the Analog Heat. Another thing I thought about is getting a Berhinger Pro-1 for a couple hundred bucks that would fit with my new semi-modular paradigm and fill that “flavor” OTB if I needed it. Even though it’s just a mono. Maybe one day if I decide to re-buy a Dave Smith/Sequential synth, I might get a keyboard version of one of the other varieties.

Hydrasynth: This is the only keyboard synth I have (I have a keystep32 and NI61 key controller). It’s the most fun synth I have. I think the sound is easily done in the box, I can probably get it done with Pigments and Serum. Honestly I think the overall sound is the least impressive part of this synth. Originally I was thinking this was the first to go, but now I’m thinking it has a lot going for it in the competition: It’s a keyboard, that is always handy. It’s a lot of fun, which is part of the allure of having hardware in the studio for me. Poly AT and the ribbon controller. And, now that I’m going modular/semi-modular, the CV interface just made it more useful.

(As an aside, I have an A4 MKi. I have honestly not delved too far into the poly config mode, other than learning how to use it. One thing I’m going to do before I make a final decision is to try some poly stuff on it to see if it can cover some of the ground of the Peak and/or Rev2. I think the Hydrasynth has it’s own pros and cons and can’t compete with any of these others in raw sound. I know the A4 is only 4 voices, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it function in the role for this purpose, I’m all ears.)

I’m setting aside some time over the next few weeks to have a little shoot-out with these guys and see who comes out on top. But I already know what they do. It’s just more deciding what I can let go of and miss the least, I’m probably the only one who could know that for sure, but I don’t have anyone to talk to about it who cares, lol.

cheers

1 Like

Awww, we care.

If it were me, I would keep the DSI Rev 2 and sell the others. Purely because yeah, that sound.

Hyrda synth, meh what ever. Peak, yeah but… Rev 2.

That probably doesnt help, but at least you got a reply.

7 Likes

It sounds like you use the Peak the most so I’d vote to keep that one. To me it’s also a very versatile synth while maintaining a lot of hands on control.

I love the Rev2 too but I do think it has a bit of a brassy sound that if you don’t use a lot might not make sense to have around. I personally love it and have a Rev2 on loan in my studio now.

However when I had the Summit in my studio ideas just flowed out of it and I imagine the Peak is the same.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I’d hold the Rev 2 for the pads alone. Silkiness that is in a league of its own. It sizzles when the filter opens up, but it is so luscious when it closes up. yum.

I like the Rev2. I’ve never owned it but it sounds so good,

Lot of love so far for the Rev2.
It’s definitely the one that is the least easily replaceable with plugins out of the 3.

The Rev2 is not available new anymore, while the Hydra/Peak will likely still be manufactured for a while…
I’m not sure if that helps your decision.

If I was making that choice I’d stick with Prophet

1 Like

On a side note, I had considered trying to swap out my Rev2 for the Take 5 when it came out. Could be the “shiny new thing”, but there’s a lot of things I liked about the Take 5 that appeal to me more than the Rev2: I like the panel layout more. VCOs, supposedly nicer filter and more authentic “that sound”. And it has a keyboard. I’d like to keep at least one keyboard around.

1 Like

It does.
That’s actually the kind of “intangible” things I was trying to think about.
Seems like the Rev2 is starting to get all the checkmarks.

As a matter of fact, now that you mention that, this is my second Peak. I sold the first one, then regretted it and bought it again. You know, that old trusty gear cycle.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the Rev 2 is still available new

2 Likes

Sure it is, lots of them available brand new.

1 Like

I mean it technically hasn’t “just been released” anymore :crazy_face:

1 Like

I think he meant not being manufactured anymore.

1 Like

Of the ones you have listed, I think I might go for the Peak. I never really loved what I heard from the Hydrasynth, although I know it has its fans, so they are doing something right. I had a Rev2 , and I just didn’t gel with it as much as I’d hoped. Some nice pads, but not that versatile. I see you are considering swapping the Rev2 for a Take 5, and I think the T5 sounds great, and it is pretty versatile as well. The A4 could be nice if you are getting into modular. It is great for sequencing and modulating with its CV outs, and also can act as a filterbank for processing external sounds.

1 Like

Oh, maybe I missed something. Did Sequential make an announcement on that? Looks like most places have them in stock. And it looks like Sequential put a picture up on Instagram advertising the Rev2 about a month ago, with no mention of it being discontinued.

Last synth I heard they were discontinuing was the Prophet 12 earlier this year.

I have no idea
I just thought that’s what the guy was saying in his post
I was just taking his word for it

1 Like

I was considering it when it came out. I threw that out there to see if anyone thought I would love the Take5 more than the Rev2. Could make the overall decision easier.
I like and respect the Rev2. Wouldn’t say I LOVE it.

The A4 isn’t going anywhere, I’ll def be using it with modular

3 Likes

I might be wrong and just assumed they were no longer being made because it’s been so long since I’ve seen them in stock in this country

damn, I’m gonna have to back-track a little on what I said in my original assessment.

I just spent a few hours doing some basic patches on the Peak, Rev2, Omnisphere, Repro and Arturia Prophet for comparisons
I’ve done similar things in past, but never all together like this

First of all, I closed Arturia Prophet pretty quick. It’s fine, but not as good as Repro.

-First the Peak and Omnisphere. I did some general preset surfing listening to similar patches. Then I built a few patches and tried to match them on each, in both directions, Peak first, then Omni first, then vice versa. Then I started from INIT and just listened to the raw tools/waveforms (and picked a couple I thought would work from Omnisphere) on each.
I could probably get it done on Omnisphere, and I still love Omnisphere, but working on the Peak is lightyears faster, with less futzing around. And the sound is more rich. Especially in the top end. It just has a “hi fi” quality that I am not getting with Omnisphere. Especially big complex pads. Omni can get a little smeared and smushy. The Peak stays nice and tight and defined.
The raw tools, the basic oscillators aren’t night and day. The filter is hard to judge because of the options in Omnisphere, but the filter on the Peak is pretty great, especially with analog pre and post drive, that’s killer.
They can basically do the same thing and sound the same, but then once you start building with those raw tools, something starts to change with the sum of the parts.
I think I just really like the Peak. I like the way it’s laid out, it just sounds, for lack of a better word, “Pro”. Whatever that 10% better is adds up over time and across tracks. The more comparing I did, the more difference in quality I heard. It might well be more than 10%, honestly.

-Rev2 and Repro. Same process. My conclusion was that I can get very close, very fast with Repro. When I stripped them both down and added just the tiniest bit of EQ, I was hard pressed to tell the difference. 100% wouldn’t have been able to tell with any other sounds going on. And scrolling or creating patches, yeah, the Rev2 did add a little something extra you’d probably be hard pressed to hear in a mix, but honestly, I just don’t use that type of sound often enough that I probably couldn’t get a very serviceable job done with Repro. Make no mistake, Repro is very fucking good. They really paid attention. I think you’d have to try really hard to squeeze an apparent extra 10% out of the Rev2. At least to my ears. It does 5% automatically, easily, but it’s not a blowout or anything.
Also, I think I just don’t really like the layout of the Rev2. I don’t know what it is, like ergonomics or Feng Shui or it should be simpler for what it is. I can’t explain other than I feel like I always get the tiniest bit annoyed when I’m trying to do something on it. Not that it’s difficult, just not the way I would have built it. Here’s a simple example: give me separate levels for the Oscillators, not a “mix” knob. That’s part of the reason I brought up the Take5, I think I just like that layout better, even though it’s not wildly different, it just looks simpler and more appealing.

I’m tired now, but I’ll do this again and I’ll play around with the Hydra as well at some point.

This round goes to the Peak.

7 Likes

My comment as always :upside_down_face: Before you sell anything put it away for a month or so (unless of course you need the money) and see if you miss anything. It is always expensive to sell and then buy again.

2 Likes