Moog Grandmother

Got mine earlier today. Who has questions?

Side note: the jacket coupon is in the box as is a slinky. It appears that they are sourcing non-specific vintage jackets and embroidering to order. It’s very clear that the jackets are of no specific vintage, brand, color, or style.

It also sounds wonderful.

11 Likes

You got a pic of the coupon. PM me for the coupon price.

Sorry I GAS for gear and also denim. Moog has broken into my head.

More soundcloud or YT demos would be appreciated.

1 Like

2 Likes

Maybe they could have cut out the middle man and lined the moog in denim form the git go

2 Likes

Congrats!

Question for you. According to the manual the sequencer can be advanced by a pulse or signal from the Clock In port, ALA SH-101/Pro-One. Mind confirming this feature? It’s something I’ve been searching for forever in a new synth.

I agree that the minibrute 2s is a much cooler device as far as functionality goes, but this moog just sounds so much better.

4 Likes

I really like the fact that they are sourcing unique demins and not just pumping out some generic fabrics.

1 Like

how practical is the sequencer? is it usefull to edit notes or do you always put in new sequences from scratch when you want to change single notes? can you keep track of long sequences, lets say when you are at step 178 and 179 etc?

I tested it and yes, the clock advances the sequencer.

The sequencer is pretty rudimentary. It’s very similar to the OP-1 Endless sequencer as once you enter a note, that’s it. You can rest, accent and tie notes but there is no erasing or editing as best I can tell. I’ll post more as I monkey around with it more.

It’s funny- I was considering a minibrute2 right as this was leaked. I’m glad I waited. It sounds soooo much better. That being said, I’ll still probably end up with a MB2 as it’s patch matrix is awesome.

2 Likes

Looking forward to more posts about the sequencer. Seems rudimentary but still useful for sketching something out, and of course for synthesis.

If I were to run guitar into an audio input, I suspect something has to trigger the Grandmother to allow processing of the guitar through the filter and spring reverb, or as a linear FM modulator - having the sequencer would be an improvement over having to put an object on a key.

I’ll give that a whirl in a bit. There is a hold/latch feature for the arp/seq. No more tape!

1 Like

Yeah- the input is triggered, not passive. I just made some wonderful noises with my Boog and the GrandMa. So that question is answered. Only nitpick is that there is no gain adjustment for input. I tried a PO and it was inaudible so I had to patch through an amplified source.

1 Like

Sold a monosynth & a polysynth, with the intention of getting a ( better ) polysynth…

then this. I’m such a Moog junkie… Fuck it - I’m getting one. :blush:

It’ll play nicely with my 2 x Mothers + DFAM after all…

Who needs more than one note at once anyway, when the one note sounds this good…

2 Likes

I think that Moog G’Ma sounds good. It’d be a really nice choice for silky leads & such I think. I don’t think it necessarily sounds “better” than the MicroBrute 2.

If I were making a really grimy techno track, I think I’d prefer the MicroBrute 2 for a really driving riff if I wanted more energy. If I were doing something more minimal or delicate, I think I’d prefer the G’Ma. I just happen to be more into darker/grimy stuff lately personally.

I’ve been comparing G’Ma demos to Dreadbox NYX demos. These two have a very similar vibe imo.

2 Likes

For sequence editing see page 33 in the manual.

You do have a polysynth between the two Moog Mother 32s, the DFAM, and now the Grandmother!

Sounds like a nice setup.

2 Likes

BTW, how did you get yours so early? Are you attending Moogfest?

I am but Guitar Center got a batch and I had a 20% coupon so it was a no-brainer.

2 Likes