Moog Grandmother

Feels good not to want this. Though I love it. I just don’t want it.

1 Like

So i see a couple more interesting things.

From the manual:

PWM IN
A control signal connected to this input will modulate the pulse width of the Square or Narrow Pulse waveform selected by Oscillator 1. Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) varies the duty cycle, or pulse width of a wave, and thereby changes its harmonic content. Among other things, PWM is often used to mimic the sound of ensembled strings and to thicken bass sounds.

LIN FM IN
Connecting an audio signal or high-frequency control signal to this input introduces Linear Frequency Modulation (FM) to Oscillator 2, which can be used to create brash, metallic, or bell-like tones.

I think that robot vocal looped thing i mentioned above – #23 Promobot IR77 – could be using the PWM IN with some sort of modulation – not sure. Would be fun modulating this input anyways.

it seems to be a really good addition to the mother and dfam, hope they will come up with a good solution for transportation and mobility like arturia did.

Interesting decision to mimic the look of a Eurorack synth, even though it isn’t – there is one main control board, and you can’t remove modules and move them around or put others in. I wouldn’t think there is enough of an attractive force to Eurorack to try to imitate it. This does hold costs down though and gives it a cohesive design motif.

Source: Gearnews article.

1 Like

It’s great that it has linear fm

1 Like

What does an Linear FM Input oscillator do if you give it a sub audio frequency or regular LFO sort of signal?

My dumb question – and i got plenty of 'em. Is it just a vibrato?

The advantage of linear fm over exponential fm is that the fundamental frequency of the carrier oscillator is maintained, even with high fm amounts applied by the modulating oscillator
Inputing a lfo or sub to the linear fm input would rather than sound like pitch modulation or vibrato, would I think rather produce a deeper ‘cycling buzzing metallic’ overtone to the carrier oscillator, but still maintaining the fundamental pitch :thinking:

5 Likes

Filter, Envelope, VCA, and Spring Reverb based on 900 series modules.
Oscillators based on Minimoog instead of 900 series - not a big shocker, 'coz you know, marketing.
Mixer based on CP3.

This thing could replace my Ekdahl moisturizer, in addition to two analog monosynths - keeping the Monologue though. Being able to run violin/guitar through the spring reverb and filter is compelling.

1 Like

That or a synth called Mother Russia would be cool

Motherlude

1 Like

The Moog Melonfarmer, Repo Man tribute edition.

1 Like

I think granny looks like a fun ride.

I’d like them to make the MOAB: Mother of all bass. The design in my head is quite nice.

2 Likes

Grandma is THICC AF

4 Likes

Gracefully put

On another note, your comment made me wonder if this means that moog is working on the granddaddy of all synthesizers. with the mother, the brother, the grandmother, Is a sister due too? People might think the names are stupid but they can ride the “family” theme quite a long way

1 Like

Can’t wait for the Moog Nephew

1 Like

This is probably my dream synth - retro design and all.

Any idea when it’ll make its way to the UK? If it’s sub £850 (fingers crossed) then I’m all in.

That’s what the “Mooger Foogers” their fx pedal line is gettin at… :smile:

Imagining a M32 size effects unit: MotherFooger that incorporates the filter, delay, phaser, flanger, chorus, ring mod of the pedal line. Would be a hell of an effects unit

3 Likes

I want them to release the Moog Big Daddy!

1 Like

YES PLEASE!!!
In stereo

7 Likes