Moog Grandmother

I got the email and was tempted but it’s a pretty bulky granny to squeeze into the studio so stepping away…for now…

Yes, a hardware Animoog would be amazing (maybe with 8 voices, though). Love using the app, but the interface is a a bit small on the iPad and my controller doesn’t have anywhere near good enough aftertouch to use it properly

I like the look of the Grandmother, but also no room for it in my space right now

1 Like

Where to buy one in Europe? Anyone knows?

1 Like

Had a quick search at work but not in the stores yet,
They will know: https://www.moogmusic.com/support/international-distributors-and-service

1 Like

I really don’t feel comfortable searching for “grandmother” on the internet.

3 Likes

I like this Moog video too.

The concept of simplifying and going back to the basics of the Moog sound and their electronics is really appealing. (And at the same time keeping it reasonably affordable.) Granny M also fits with the current semi-modular Moog line, like the DFAM and Mother-32.

The video is clearly done by Moog, (it’s in the Moog factory, with Moog engineers, and not the GC spokespeople) for and with the assistance of Guitar Center. What this tells me along with the Musician’s Friend video is that this will be a full fledged Moog product not a Moog-fest one off.

1 Like

Click on the image to see it enlarged.

This looks really good! There are patch points all along the way, and it’s also well laid-out without a patch.

I don’t care if it’s mauve and chartreuse Muve & Chartreuse and called “The Embarassment”! Looks like a nice synth.

4 Likes

I don’t know if anyone is listening soundcloud demos from moog music, but this synth sounds f****g incredible !!

3 Likes

Moog Grandmother Soundcloud Links

You are right mess_er35, this does sound great!

ADDED: Listen to the last clip #23 Promobot IR77 – How are they doing the formant filter or the vocoder effects with this synth?

1 Like

I jeez I really like this a lot. Was going to go back to MS20 mini as my analog mono but tempted to just save up for this. Sounds amazing. Love that it has an arp. Love the design. Anyone know what the midi spec is like?

An arp and a sequencer too.

Was just looking at the manual, page 43 which has the abbreviated midi spec.

Of course there is a MIDI DIN in, out and thru on the back. Page 36 of manual.

Specs, manual, etc. are up on the Moog site:
https://www.moogmusic.com/products/semi-modular/grandmother/

Muscians Friend/Guitar Center taking orders for $899. By coincidence (or not), they also dropped the Mother 32 price.

The MIDI implementation seems to focus on sync, and basic keyboard/wheel usage (eg. pitch bend). No MIDI control of filter cutoff, or, presumably, other synth params that are supposed to be patchable by cable/CV.

1 Like

No ARP/seq output over midi I imagine?

(Sorry, too lazy to look at the manual just now)

Good question - they didn’t quite stick to the formatting convention for a MIDI implementation chart, so it’s not obvious whether the ARP/SEQ stuff is MIDI Input-only, or there’s also MIDI out from that.

As for the Dreadbox comparision, this throws a bit of a wrench into my gear planning. I have to decide which I need more at this time - the likely MPE-compatible controller grid and paraphony of the Medusa, or yet another standard keyboard (albeit with Fatar level quaility) with spring reverb and other nice features, in a US-made product, for the money.

The Medusa won’t be available for a while. Spend the money now :space_invader:, and deal with the Medusa later. Also it’s not clear to me how many Granny Ms they’re going to build?

1 Like

Damn enabler!!! :japanese_ogre:

Will probably review the manual a few more times before making a call on this - particularly the sequencer section.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I would say it is hard-syncing and some filter action

1 Like

Response to GovernorSilver post #157.

The sequencer is extremely basic – but it does have transpose off the keyboard which is how i could see using it, puting in some advanced arp-like sequences, and using it that way.

The Dreadbox/Polyend system definitely has all sorts of sequencer functionality – like being able to play the sequencer steps from the matrix pads. To be the good conscience side of this, i do want to hear the Medusa when they get it more finalized to hear if it has the Dreadbox throat. Granny M definitely has a throat.

1 Like