Moog DFAM

Autechre was heavily influence by hiphop.

Vince Staples’ last was a massive EDM-hip hop thing. Rusty, Hudson Mohawke, FlyLo, Jlin…

1 Like

I’m sorry when I hear “EDM” I switch off. It’s a term invented by the American mainstream media for generic commercial techno/house that has no soul or connection to where this stuff came from. I can’t see much connection between Autechre’s music and hip hop but whatever .

2 Likes

Autechre have stated many times over the years that their music is heavily influence by hip-hop.

1 Like

Ok. It doesn’t really matter the term but it had crazy electronic timbres doing hip-hop.

1 Like

Hmmm no midi and only an 8 Step sequencer. As cool of a device as this is it seems a bit over priced, makes me see the value in a Volca Kick.

1 Like

Heck an A4 mk 1 is almost the same price and has 4 voices and the Elektron sequencer.

6 Likes

The SUBSEQUENT 37 and a new A4 are similar in price but it’s obvious why people choose the 37 over the A4. Same thing here.

I want to see a video with Karl Bartos that demonstrate the DFAM.

Well, try playing that in a hip hop venue and see what happens. I predict a 100% clearing of the dancefloor.

Maybe where you go.

And anyway that’s exactly my point.

Anyway the DFAM gets a MEH from me. . . even in the analog-only modular world there’s probably a lot better for this kind of money.

Oh my. Exai is such a great record.
Anyone remember this interview, where they talked about who they’d get to MC on an Ae hip-hop album. Kanye??

1 Like

Its sounds ok. The challenge is have is buying what i want verses what I will use. I always come back to my elektron devices because they all work together in harmony. Adding another device is nice but it can often be more hassle than its worth and you end up selling it down the road. I think this is a device i would end up selling. I have a Rytm so why would i need it.

2 Likes

Yup, the sequencer with the clock input, as well as exploration of the sequencer as modulation source opens up some possibilities for those who have the creativity/guts ;).

I plan on exploring further the sequencer as modulator idea on my Korg Monologue.

I think I understand why that Moog engineer doesn’t want to call the DFAM a “drum machine”. It’s a semi-modular monosynth that lends itself to drum sounds rather than an alternative to Electribe,Drumbrute, etc. If I get one, I’ll probalby use it in parallel with my PO-32, the latter supplying “normal” drum beats, and the DFAM would do the abnormal stuff.

Someone is claiming that the sequencer is always 8 steps - cannot reduce to 7, or 5, or whatever.

Can someone else confirm/deny?

Looked at the manual, yes looks like you’d need an external trigger sequencer to get uneven time signatures. Mother would be an obvious choice, a RhythmWolf would be cheaper though.

Just re-read the thread and @Jukka’s post here opens up another interesting option to mess with sequencer playback, not exactly what @GovernorSilver asked, but you can get close, in theory:

I like doing polymetric stuff on top of my basic grooves sometimes, so this would make a difference to me.

2 Likes

I’m getting a weird sense of dejavu!

Dejavu aside I wouldn’t mind hearing a few more demo’s as there seems to be quite a bit of overlap with the Mother 32 and it’s relatively easily to patch and sequence percussion on the mother 32.

I’ll probably end up getting one but not until I’ve got hold of an Analogue Solutions Treadstone and Fusebox first.

Around the 13 min. mark, Steve of Moog answers the reset question:

The person who posted this video stumbled upon the same workaround that Jukka discovered. Well, I think it’s the same - Jukka feel free to correct me. This is what he says

I’m able to reset the DFAM back to step one after step five by patching the pitch output into the tempo input… I’ve turned pitch all the way up on steps 6, 7, and 8… the trick here is that each step’s pitch will adjust the tempo until the next step. So to get an easy and steady tempo I’ve turned the pitch on the first five steps all the way down. The pitch range is Huge so unless you want to tune each step by hand, which could meticulously be done, this is the fastest way to get the result. Now, since the pitch range is huge, turning pitch all the way down on steps 1-5, the master tempo becomes super slow… So I turned up that master tempo knob to a faster setting… And there you have it… Technically it’s not skipping or resetting steps 6-8, it’s just moving through them so fast that it appears to reset from step 5.

4 Likes

GAS kicking badly

4 Likes