Moog DFAM

I just got a great deal on a used, minty M-32…totally need to figure this patch and peformance out. I do have to say the M-32 really does inspire me to just hit record and play the instrument.

———————-

It seems the DFAM would be the same way, fun to play and just record. They are both high quality niche within niche items. The price doesn’t seem that off and the lack of MIDI, well, Moog decided to go that way with the whole “Mother ecosystem” thing. Its not the worst marketing ever.

Anyone should be able to figure out a way to make this work in their setup. I’d also guess to construct something similar oneself with Eurorack modules would probably cost as much or more than this unit. On the other side of things the two stand alone Jomox drum voices M.Base and M.Brane would run you about the same together new. What ever the newest iteration of the kick module is, I owned for a while and it was alright. It did its 808ish thing well.

Its not for me at that price. Its probably not for me at what the used price will be. Its still cool though. Looks fun. Sounds good.

If I really wanted to get crazy with percussion sound design in hardware land, I’d probably get a Nord Drum 2.

2 Likes

Damn it sounds good ! I can’t say I won’t be tempted when they hit the stores…

1 Like

I’m considering giving up the M32 (I’ve never needed the sequencer) for the Minibrute and getting a DFAM. Anyone know anything wrong with the idea? I WANT FULL-SIZED KEYS!!

I listened to the DFAM Demos and the Minubrute 2. What I recognized is, that the Arturia thing has lots more options but the vanilla sound is quite thin. So you have to tweak a lot of knobs to get something good out of it. Whereas Moog has lesser controlls and options, but damn does even the vanilla sound good. So for getting some nice sample food for my ot and dt, I think the dfam has more to chew on. MIDI would have been nice, but because this is modular and has no patch-saving, I have to sample the sounds anyway. So yeah its good to have this expensive little high end gear, that focusses just on the sound and doesnt care about functions and interfaces.

2 Likes

Righto. Waiting on the Minibrute manual.

1 Like

EDIT: not OT. Will do my own research.

By my calculations,
10000BPM divided by 60sec = 166 2/3 Beats per Second…

If one step = 1/16th note, 4 steps = 1 Beat

166 2/3 beats per second x 4 steps per beat = 666 2/3 steps per second…

The manual says the sequencer can run up to 700hz and equates that to “roughly” 10000BPM…
So I believe the sequencer runs at a max speed of 700 steps per second!

4 Likes

Why would you give up the Mother and not just add to it? I don’t own a M32 but have been seriously considering picking one up specifically to pair with a DFAM and not for the sequencer either. Any downfalls in redundancy with having the two? I was even thinking two DFAM’s would be an even better idea but maybe I’m missing something there as well. The DFAM with the 0-coast maybe? And the new minibrute 2 with them as well? Every possible sound possibility you could imagine with just those three?

I’m super interested in everyone’s thoughts on this! I love the bloops and thuds from the dfam. The minibrute 2 covers a lot of flexibility with its patch bay. Maybe the vanilla sounds aren’t that great bc of the lower end components. The og minibrute was fuzzy sounding, they’ve always had a more aggressive sound.

I love the semi modular idea, I really have done a great job of staying away from the modular life but this looks like a gateway into something I’ve been afraid of sinking money into. But the sound and flexibility is very very nice.
I can see dfam in my future, I’m just afraid of where that is going to take me next. Thanks Moog :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I figured I wouldn’t be the only person already mulling over the Minibrute 2 as a patching playmate for the DFAM, rather than a Mother-32. :wink:

I actually like the 'brute sound, so the core sound does not make M-32 or a Minibrute 2 a clear winner for me.

1 Like

totally! its way more interesting and capable of all crazy staff! and can do fm and am and cv sequencer is there…

Midi implementation on the m-32 is fairly weak. It doesn’t surprise me too much that they left it out of the dfam

Dear lord, this things’s already out in the wild. I’m hearing lots of demos from it now. Man, I love how it sounds.

1 Like

I do accept that eurorack devices have no midi…
But any other device?
If it is not a BASTL KASTL it should have midi…

I mean, hey, it’s 2018 and it is definitly no rocket science to implement this…
I will happily ignore the DFAM. It is too expensive inmho…

3 Likes

Both interesting machines. Moog is monophonic ,2 o/c’s, 8 step seq , patchable, analog FM . Quite good for sound design and generation and live play. ( Just attended DFAM live debut here in LA.) Super warm , fat Moog sound…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Prob more versatile when driven by ext CV seq…Compact form factor… It has its place… BUT

Just played demo Alpha Base at Perfect Circuit Audio, Burbank CA. Very very nice as anticipated. Very versatile with M-brane, samples … analog filters on all sounds/tracks , and 4-op FM ! This FM is different from MnM FM algorithms . Its an evolution of all of Jomox’s perc machines …not merely repeating the same old sounds…a newer and flexible sound palette :smile::+1:t4:

Note …There are no REALLLY GOOD grooving demos of either of these products yet.

Usually just noise based eurorack stuff for Moog. Moog rep walked me through it and I played with it 35min …It has great potential …e.g I want to demo it with some electro-funk type patterns from A4 as a CV seq. DFAM and A4 should pair nicely :slightly_smiling_face:

Also Jurgen is great designer , but doesn’t make the most inspiring Jomox demos.:laughing:

Ive got some Afro-electro rhythms done on X-Base09 ( I might trade up )

X-base 09 with filtering

My hardware path lead me to a point recently were I ended up with an MS20 mini, A4 and a Mother 32. Now there are patch cables everywhere and I don’t know how I made music before I fell into this little trio of a setup.

You’ve been warned :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That. I would only get rid of my M32 in the event that I got a MB2. A combo of restrictions, including space, money and self-imposed creative. The MB2 plus a DFAM (maybe racked into the Rackbrute with a digital osc and a wild modulator) is, imo, an insane amount of synth. I get frustrated with too many options (having said that, I have two Elektron boxes) And you’re talking the four of them together? Naw. I’m good for now.

But, yeah, that would be a righteous setup.

Yes. I tread very carefully, myself.

Thanks for that, seems like Muffwiggler is having the time signature discussion as well.

I’m not liking the fact that I like this DFAM.
All my gear is lined up in front of the firing squad now.

2 Likes