Moog DFAM

Thanks Seta, yes this looks fairly good for what I need the DFAM to do on my live rig

I have DFAM and 0-coast together with SQ1 and some modules on a 6U 104HP case, Sometimes I use the SQ1 to sequence the DFAM but using Maths as snappier envelopes (with sustain). The same with DFAM sequencer, I may use it as an LFO or to modulate other CV signals. Sometimes 0-Coast plus DFAM toguether as a hybrid west/east coast 3 OSC beastā€¦routing possibilities are endless

5 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more! This would have been great in the box. Itā€™s a bit pricey, but I think thatā€™s understandable from a small business. Iā€™m going to give it a go.

1 Like

I think either CV.ocd and Hexinverter mutan brain can do a lot more than that. Inependent pitch for oscillators, velocity, modulation wheel, plus triggers, clocks etc I ended up getting a Mutan brain, I had it but sold itā€¦now I was realy missing it.

I think I need a little help with this. Iā€™ve not got any modular gear yet, only semi modular - Mother 32 and DFAM. How do I trigger individual notes using the modules you mention? Iā€™ve got a Deluge too, which has CV and gate, but Iā€™ve no idea how to trigger one of the eight steps on the DFAM with it!

This modules convert midi into CV, you can use ableton or Digitak for example

If you add a Gate/trigger signal into trigger input in DFAM it triggers the note but sequencer will not move. If you want to run DFAM sequencer in sync with other gear you will need to send a clock signal into DFAMĀ“s ADV/Clock input and DFAM sequencer has to be on (press red button run/Stop)
As you have Mother 32 try this patches first

It is also easy to make more than 16 step seuqences, lets say you have programed an 8 step sequence but you want it to take 3 full bars to complete. You have to program that sequence in a daw for example and make a 3bar sequence with 8 notes in it. Then send the gate into DFAM adv/clock and you will have a 3 bar/8 notes pattern

An audio signal with a loud and short click may work as a trigger too, google it as I never used it like that

But this way you can not jump between steps, they go one after the other, yo can also just send CV to OSC and gate to Trigger input and play it like a synth. DFAM can be a pretty good synth.

4 Likes

Donā€™t have dfam but you should just need a mono patch cable from deluge gate to dfam trigger. Set a track as cv track and input some notes - should work!

Mutant brain is an awesome purchase to use Deluge to drive many tracks and/or drum triggers in modular.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time for writing an awesome reply. Being able to jump between steps is the bit that I was after. Iā€™ve been able to trigger the sequencer on the DFAM from the Deluge, but would love to get the individual steps.

Then for your needs is better to sequence DFAM from Deludge, Korg SQ1 or something like that. You as well can use the pitch sequencer as an 8 step cv modulator if it is not asigned to any of the OSC. I think velocity always affects amp output though, I would have to check it.

To me the SQ1 is the perfect sequencer for DFAM, with step jump, polyrythms etcā€¦second hand is pretty cheap, I paid 70ā‚¬ for it.

You couldalso use SQ1 for sequencing and advance steps in the internal sequencer for pitch transposing for example.

1 Like

You know what, Iā€™m an idiot. I was fixated on triggering individual steps of the DFAM sequencer, but all the sequencer is doing is applying different pitch and velocity per stepā€¦ sooooooo, Iā€™ve already got what I need in the Deluge! Iā€™ll give it a go by running some patch cables out the back into the DFAM VCO CV and velocity and see what I get.

I love these forums. Even though I recently sold my Elektron gear thereā€™s still great advice! Awesome community. Thanks again.

3 Likes

If you want to send pitch to both osc from 1 cv out you will need something like this. They work great

I do not own any elektron gear myself, I had octatrack but it was to much for me. Thinking about a digitakt thoughā€¦but no hurries.

This forum is greatā€¦:grin:

2 Likes

Awesome thread. I got a DFAM for $100 off on black friday and instantly fell in love with it. Just the sound was so good that I used it on tracks with the basic 8 step sequencer for a while. Of course, over time I wanted more since you can use those steps to modulate, so I hooked it up to my Squarp Pyramid. My god - you want bliss, put the Squarp in Euclidian step mode and dial away. Getting interesting percussion under my beats was never my favorite thing and I usually relied on loops. Well not anymore, this is a total game changer.

My next plan is to make the best kicks and snares and hats that I can and sample them into my RYTM. I truly love the sound of this box. It is one of my favorite pieces of gear Iā€™ve ever owned and has me contemplating a grandmother one day.

4 Likes

I love mine so much I got two nowā€¦

I however use mine to accentuate beats strangely enough. Here is an example of a drum loop and 2 dfams jamming:

7 Likes

Really nice. Any FX on the DFAMs?

1 Like

Pretty sure I had comb filter on one of the THRU tracks with some reverb, and then reverb and filter on the other THRU track.

Going to try and make another comb filter DFAM track today!

Also if you like this there is another thread for DFAM music: DFAM mind melting thread

Hello

Anyone succesfully paired DFAM with Korg sq-1?

Im currently running midi from digitakt to dreadbox erebus, and from dreadbox gate out into sq-1 sync in, and from sq-1 gate out into DFAM clock/advance (dreadbox is there just to convert midi to CV). The problem Im running into is that the sequence in both sq-1 and DFAM is now running at double speed for some reason when compared to digitakts speed. The problem only exists with sq-1, and when Im running gate out from dreadbox straight to DFAM everything works normally.

Any idea as to whats the cause here?

Edit: for added info, sq-1 seems to send what it gets forward at double the speed and when only 8th notes are being sent from digitakt, the sequencer outputs normal 16th notes to DFAM

Taken from KorgĀ“s SQ1 FAQ

When I connect the SQ-1 via SYNC to the volca, monotribe, or electribe, the sequencers do not advance at the same speed.

The SQ-1 lets you change the sequencerā€™s step resolution. If the step resolution does not match the device that is connected via SYNC, the sequencers will not play in synchronization. In global parameter setting mode, adjust the position of the SEQUENCER MODE selector to the appropriate step resolution as follows.

ā€œWWā€ ALTERNATE quarter note SYNC x2

ā€œZā€ ORDER 8th note SYNC x2

ā€œ<=>ā€œ PARALLEL TURN16th note SYNC x2

ā€œ=>ā€ PARALLEL ORDER quarter note SYNC x1

ā€œ=>ā€ CV DUTY 8th note SYNC x1

ā€œ=>ā€ CV SLIDE 16th note SYNC x1

CV/DUTY | RANDOM unavailable unavailable

RANDOM unavailable unavailable

* SYNC X2 = 1 sync clock advances 2 steps / SYNC x1 = 1 sync clock advances 1 step

2 Likes

Anyone know if DFAM noise is analog or digital?

My understanding is that the DFAM is completely analogue.

1 Like

Yeah, pretty certain itā€™s analogue.

1 Like