Moog DFAM

Pretty sure Thonk does EU shipping. Here’s the link.

Would you guys recommend getting the Moog DFAM? I have a Mother-32 and I’m looking for a companion for it. Either I can get the DFAM or modules that would compliment the M32. How well does it go with other Elektron gear??

Regarding the DFAM with various Elektron equipment: Key issue is there is no midi in on the DFAM – so Elektron stuff with CV outs or some sort of midi to CV should be part of the picture, for Elektron gear with midi out.

Soundwise – i definitely recommend the DFAM.

There are various videos that show the DFAM and M-32 – they do work well together.

I’m looking for the Subharmonicon to pair with the DFAM myself.

3 Likes

@Jimmo Yes, thanks. I saw them before at Thonk, was looking for a EU seller to avoid extra shipping costs.

@friedcircuit, yes to everything @Jukka said. Am doing some focussing on M32+DFAM+Tanzbar lately, with some keys and soundscapes … fun at the mixer playing with effects, in short DFAM is immediate and fine sounding.

Guess I will track some session soon to get a few recordings out of the long experimenting sessions … (note to self, but I never do it :cheeky:).

It’s waiting for a Subharmonicon to add to the party indeed, hopefully it will be released in a few months. I have no Eurorack yet, I will get a small skiff to add some functionallity when the loooong winter is coming back to Berlin! Can’t wait :totes:

2 Likes

Or use a track of a machine with individual outs to send an audio click to the DFAM. I use a track of my AR to sync it, works nicely enough. Plus you can do rythm madness things if you start sending irregular clicks :grin:

5 Likes

Excellent idea, can i borrow that? Thank you toodee!!

4 Likes

Yeah. Just spent my first hour with one. Blimey. Great sound, great design.

2 Likes

I want one now.

No midi no problem. I have loads of gear with no midi because it is old or weird, I use them just as much as the midi gear. DFAM- I love mine! OT midi clock to TR8-S, then TR8-S trig out to DFAM adv clock in.

Poly rhythmic heaven…

2 Likes

I always assumed this is precisely the reason so many of us come back here often. Borrow away, friend :grin:

One could probably obtain entertaining results with conditional trigs and retrigs… :exploding_head:

2 Likes

So I get that the DFAM’s sequencer is a bit tricky for melodic stuff. But assumed sequenced externally, how does it excel as lead/bass synth. Soundwise? Compared to the mother? Same filter right?
Second question: Regarding feature set only: What do you think makes a better partner to the dfam. Mother or 0-coast?

The raw oscillator sound without any FM does sound quite like the Mother.

I’m not sure using it as a melodic synth voice is quite what it’s best at but it seems like it tracks just fine if you want to do that.

I’m interested to know if people will develop some more unexpected sounds from the DFAM, maybe using much slower (& less regular) trigs from external gear. A lot of what I’ve heard so far is this driving techno sound, and it’s fantastic, but I’m wondering if it has more in its locker.

2 Likes

but it’s nice to have this option as well :slight_smile:

Not complaining at all! In fact the melodic content is a big part of the sound. The raw oscillators sound wonderful.

The limited envelopes might be a sticking point if you often just wanted to use it as a backup monosynth though.

2 Likes

I have been finding some amazing heavy metal style guitar sounds, thick chunky power chord stuff. Keeping the melodic variance quite narrow. Combined with polyrhythmic patterns I am quickly approaching the realms of meshuggah.
For me its all about triggering it from the TR8-S, to transend the 8 step pattern sound.
Bloody love the DFAM!

3 Likes

Yeah I’m itching to hook it up with my TR-8S trigger out, and run it through a good delay. I only had a bit of time with it on its own last night.

I would say the Mother, mine doesn’t play too well with my 0 coast. I use keystep to send clock to dfam, I had thought it would work nicely with just DFAM but they just wouldn’t sync.

but the 0-coast has a clock generator… Should work, right?

It should do but I think it has something to do with the voltage being different and that affects the sync. I have been unable to successfully sync midi clock via 0coast to DFAM.