Moog DFAM

did you patch a cable between the 0-coast clock output and the DFAM’s clock input?

I can’t imagine this to be the case. They talk both eurorack language

I ran a clock out if 0 coast in advance on the dfam as that is the patch point to clock sync the sequencer. It either advanced steps at a glacial rate or stupid fast. Did the same thing with key step and no problems at all.
I am sure I have read earlier in this thread of someone else having issues syncing 0coast directly with dfam.

Maybe your 0 coast doesn’t receive midi clock correctly?
Did you try to tap the tempo on the 0coast to see if the dfam follows? Just asking, cause it would be strange if there are clocking issues

I tried tap tempo and it was slightly more stable but drifted. That’s when I switched to midi clock via keystep just to check if the issue was with the DFAM. That worked perfectly, to be honest I haven’t tried again since as I haven’t had time to do much music recently.

Ok. Thanks

what do you think about DFAM vs AR DVCO?

Would like to know about this too, as I’m on the verge of getting a DFAM with my M32, but I already have a drum synth which is the AR…

1 Like

I find the DVCO sound (VCO raw sound specifically) a tad less … “stable”, harder to control, I guess this is the best way I found to describe it. Not that it’s a bad thing, it’s just a different beast. You get a better sequencer with a Rytm, along with effects, a sample layer and an LFO. The controls you get over the sound are different for each machine, I find the DFAM has the upper hand here thanks to its immediacy but YMMV, it all depends on what you want to do to the sound. It can interact with other modular gear, the Rytm is not so lucky. The VCO and VCF sound is different for each machine, which is why I own both and love them both. Due to their layout, I find the DFAM much more fun to doodle with (never thought I’d say that, always was convinced Elektron gear was best in slot for that), with the trade-off that it has no patch memory. Which forces me to better remember how I make the patches I like, so not a bad thing, again, just different. I prefer the sound of white noise on the DFAM, by far, and it’s available all the time, DVCO has no noise, you would have to use another machine on the Rytm to get it, but then you don’t get both VCOs… They both sound massive :wink:

5 Likes

I’d imagine samples of the Dfam in the Rytm would sound pretty sultry…

2 Likes

Dfam is a monster, love love love it.

2 Likes

Agree I tried a DFAM out recently and it is tons of fun. It would pair well with my A4 MK2 and Make Noise 0-coast. But since I already have an OT for drums no need to spend on that and rather save up for a full modular system.

1 Like

Short clip on my insta sequencing the dfam from a sq1.

5 Likes

Very nice! Haven’t this kind of stuff from DFAM demos before. What were you using for FX?

1 Like

Thank you! Just wanted to try the dfam as a complex osc, there is only a delay from the sa nemisis

Damn this things is amazeballz. Makes me glad I got a sub earlier this year.

4 Likes

Dfam and manther pair well, the sounds of each unit complement one another and they are both tweaktastic

Hi,
I had sent my DFAM to be fixed as it creates loud clicks at the start of some hits. I realise it is analog and therefore there are inconsistencies but I am really not sure about this.

Anyway, they replaced the main board saying they couldn’t replicate the issue although they did say that the audio files I sent them did sound like there is something wrong.

Anyway, still doing it.

Not sure what the issue is or if I am the issue.

I will upload the audio file and the photo of the settings. Would it be possible to check this is normal.

Cheers,
Adam
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/b/0/b0508efeb91258752a14512249251399dd23fb98.wavIMG_20181108_211436

Well, I can hear 4 beats with clicks then 2 with no clicks. Which makes 6. On an 8 step sequence. Which is Odd.
Does it still click with SEQ PITCH MOD set to 1+2? (you currently have it set to off)
Does it still click with VCF EG AMOUNT set to centre?
Does it still click with the VCO FREQUENCY increased? you are using a triangle wave at a very low frequency so it could just be the triangle duty cycle

I dunno, personally it sounds like pretty normal behaviour for DFAM. I bet a bit of fine tuning could minimise those unwanted clicks. I have one, and like most analogue stuff, it can take a lot of time to get the exact sound you want, depending on how particular you are of course.
The guys at Moog really do know what they are doing, They would know if something was defective. Pretty cool they replaced the main board for you.

1 Like

I miss the dfam quite a bit… :frowning:
Life eh…?

Mine’s for sale…