Moog DFAM

Interesting - I ran my tr8 through the DSI filters on toraiz sp16 expecting great things but it was pants. Conversely tr8 through old Kaoss pad can work really well.

OT MKII is what I have

some live improvising with the melodic side of the Moog Dfam and the Elektron Analog Rytm. Nothing was prepared ā€¦ only thing was the start melody of the Dfam. The vcos get pitch from internal sequencer and have been NOT quantized. The Korg SQ1 sends gate to ā€œAdvā€ and ā€œTriggerā€ in from Gate Out A/B and the CV out A/B going to VFC Decay and VCO Decay. providing some nice modulations. On the DFAM patchbay pitch was send to the VCF mod in so you can also track the filter. I woud say ā€œyes this is a very musically synthesizerā€

melody: DFAM
drums: RYTM

(please forgive me for low quality ā€¦ and the simple drum programming)

What I found out during jamming:

• if you turn velocity all the way down, the trig is still audible! Depending of the vca decay even 2 or 3 or more steps ā€¦ which give really great accent possibilties! you can move single notes in and out. if you really dont want to play a certan step, you have to deactived the gate signal - as you can do on the sq1. Means the Dfam sequencer waits for the time of the deactived steps ā€¦ which gives you easy polyrythmic sequences. I also set the sequence of the SQ1 row B to another lenght and all runs in ping pong mode ā€¦ so also polyrythmic modulations.
  • the fm can sound quite nice! some times it sounds like a thinner pulse wave.
  • the filter sounds amazing and tracks pitch very good (at least to my ear) and I really like the plugie envelops! Not sure how to achiev this with the A4 and its moog style 24 db ladder filter.
3 Likes

:ok_hand:

couldnĀ“t resist to record another exploration. This time more experimental stuff and Analog Four provides fx with reverb and modulating delay

5 Likes

Wow, your two recordings demonstrate aspects of the DFAM I havenā€™t heard elsewhere so far, thanks so much!

These make me all the more excited for this box ā€“ I heard some very guitar-like tones in the last half of your long jam session, along with other fantastic stuff. yes!

1 Like

Just a micro snippet now that my master thesis is behind me and I can actually play with the DFAM rather than just look at it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to you guys and this thread the DFAM is now part of my live setup. ItĀ“s so hands on and sounds great. My only complaints are:

• missing midi
  • tempo knob should work as a tempo divider, when receiving clock (like on M32)

Other than that. I love it.

4 Likes

Over this week i have tried to get nice clean melodic sounds, even employed a strymon bigsky for shoe gazing cavernous ethereal pad like reverbsā€¦ but no matter what i tried ended up at bath saltsā€¦

2 Likes

Love the sound of this thingā€¦Iā€™m so tempted to pick one upā€¦the lack of MIDI and easy sync w/ my OT is what makes me hesitate. Iā€™m sure you are relieved to have some time to make some music. Thatā€™s sounds massive. :thup:

I have a DFAM running with the Mother 32 and itā€™s the most fun I have had making techno in ages. I can just sit and jam with both of them for hours. Itā€™s not always easy to keep my attention for that long. Way too fun.

5 Likes

yeah man! totally feel this. itĀ“s like turning on the Dfam, turning some knobs and wondering what you have done the last hour and why the beer is warm :smiley:

@Adam9 did you try run it from a quantized sequencer? should help getting proper notes.

I managed to sync the DFAM with an audio click, details here. You have to sacrifice the cue out to send the click though. Another solution would be the Doepfer Dark Link (not tested) to transform the MIDI clock from OT to a CV clock, but thatā€™s more expensive than a simple cableā€¦

Iā€™m sending the DFAM audio back to the OT for effects and itā€™s techno bliss :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Hmmm, the audio click route is something Iā€™ll have to look at in detail and see if I can grasp exactly how you do this w/o having a DFAM on hand but Iā€™ll look into that in my spare time (kind of new to cv clocks/triggers/etcā€¦ :D).

If I knew for 100% that the Dark Link would work would work, Iā€™d probably pick up a DFAM/Dark Link my next paycheck. :stuck_out_tongue: Thatā€™s how much I want to incorporate the DFAM with the OT. Those DFAM drum sounds are bliss for me alsoā€¦probably wouldnā€™t need another drum synth ever, itā€™s so massive soundingā€¦and perfect for techno/industrial type of sounds. :star_struck: Glad you got it working! :thup: Have fun!

Indeed :yum:

Took me less than an hour of DFAM to start considering selling my AR MK1, which I thought would never ever happen. Itā€™s that good sounding.

It has what industrial techno needs, and more. Pretty sure it can do all genres though, very wide sound palette.
Can you tell Iā€™m in love ? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I have the DFAM since yesterday and i mostly come up with basslines - kind of unexpected :slight_smile: a great machine with the distinctive moog sound.

First little recordings with an Mbase11 some hihats and Reverb/Delay.
Some small modulations from the Eurorack (FM Amount, Filter CV)

15 Likes

Just ordered mine. Delivery tomorrow hopefully. Really looking forward to messing with it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Very cool short tracks, love the housey feel of the first one and the slightly darker second one. That filter ! Such a joy to turn that knob. Iā€™ve missed the knobs from my M-32.

Iā€™ve had mine for a couple of weeks but Iā€™ve just had time to dig into it these past few days. I love it very much, so instantly playable, so fun, so full of sweet spots. Iā€™ve only jut used it for percussion so far, but the ā€œpresetsā€ show how much more there is to this beast.

Anyway hereā€™s a first real track with it where it comes real early and stay on mostly all the time, doing the subdued toms in the background :

5 Likes

love the modular dub man!!! You posted in another thread you also used the WMD chimara and the lyra 8? maybe you can explain your patch a little bit?

1 Like

Damn, man, that 2nd track is fire, Iā€™d play that at the club without thinking twice :sparkling_heart: If those are really your first tries with the DFAM, I canā€™t wait for the rest, good job !