Moog DFAM

Thanks, so nice of you! Will be refreshing the page :wink:

And well, if everything done with the DFAM goes towards gritty stuff, thatā€™s pretty telling in itself :slight_smile:

mines scheduled to be delivered within 2 hours. oh boy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i would imagine this is the first thing anyone would do, surely?

I may be speaking out of my ass, since I havenā€™t played with one yet but for people so hung up on the 8steps sequencer the answer seems to be in the manual : Your new Drummer From Another Mother (DFAM) is a highly-interactive, Semi-Modular Analog Percussion Synthesize {ā€¦} DFAM presents a uniquely expressive hands-on approach to percussive pattern creation.

Youā€™re not really supposed to take you hands off it; the 8 steps arenā€™t so much a limitation in this case, as brilliantly showcased by Mylar :

Of course it is semi modular so itā€™s wide open for further mangling and sequencing but it is really impressive what comes out of such a seemingly ā€œsimpleā€ sequencer.

3 Likes

always trusting mr mylar melody when he is shaking with his hands and saying

This

Is

Ace

so it was the final video I watched befor ordring :wink:

and you are totaly right! as soon as your programmed 8 steps sequence beginns to sound a little boring after a minute or two, you start instantly tweaking and tweaking and tweaking ā€¦ and oh wow is already 2 hours later and the bootle of beer is still full.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a good point. For me, there are many things beyond that application Iā€™d like to do. For instance, I think the DFAM probably lends itself really well to random clicks, crackles and zings here and there to add some spice to a track. Thatā€™s something the built-in sequencer doesnā€™t really do all that well, even though there are ways to do something in that vein.

So, youā€™re right: What Mylar is doing there is brilliant. But thereā€™s even more to be had by integrating it with other sequencers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Certainly, my remark was mainly concerned with using it as a mostly stand alone instrument. By the way, if you are into clicks, crackles and zings (and have a modular already) you should check WMDā€™s Chimera and Fracture; two incredible percussive modules aimed at (but certainly not restricted to -the promo videos are good but donā€™t showcase their true versatility) hats and claps respectively. I personally love them.

Anyway, canā€™t really wait to have my DFAM; next Tuesday hopefully :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, right, makes sense.

Canā€™t wait to hear what you do with it - I think it fits your style perfectly!

Bugger, all this chat about this machine has piqued my interest. . .
However, I run Octatrack and Digitone . . . These machines wonā€™t sequence the DFAM and Ableton is my other goto.
Our am I missing something?

1 Like

Well, some audio interfaces are DC coupled, which means they can be used for control voltages. Or, you could always go for a CV.OCD.

Probably just a MIDI-CV converter. Iā€™m sure Moog would love for you to buy a Mother 32 for that role ;).

I kind of wish I hadnā€™t forgotten about the CV.OCD before ordering the Korg SQ-1, since it does Hz/V as well as V/octave. OTOH, the SQ-1 was on sale, and it does have a sequencer.

2 Likes

Can we all agree to just stop posting on this thread so I donā€™t keep getting reminded how much I want this stinkboxā€¦?

Oh wait, oops :grimacing:

1 Like

If it is just for clocking duties then a click from the OT will do the job just fine. Otherwise the CV.OCD is indeed your best bet.

That Mylar guy deserves a sub, I loved his video about the 0-Coast, thanks for sharing !

The epic techno jam I just witnessed confirmed I need myself a DFAM. Good thing I have one on the way :smiley:

2 Likes

The SQ-1 seems pretty ideal for the DFAM. Has reset, can do 16 steps, can turn steps on/offā€¦ Youā€™ll be happy with it, I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

First, sweet jam!

Second (and apologies if itā€™s already been covered), but WHAT is that stand system!? It looks great and would be perfect for me. Where can I get one?

Thanks!

Cheers for the pointers.
I think Iā€™d want to sequence the little bugger with an external sequencer so Iā€™ll look at the suggested products.
I hate the fact thereā€™s always solutions! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

1 Like

Latest one of my DFAM in action. Recording could be better. TR8S doesnā€™t sound great run through the OT inputs.

4 Likes

nice groove!
do you have OT mk1 or mk2