Moog DFAM

inspiring!

2 Likes

I donĀ“t understand any word, but sounds like instant techno :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I guess just send pam clock to advance in on the dfam. I also would try to send another gate to trigger in on the dfam ā€¦ that should give some polyrythmic modulations from the dfam sequencer

Having spent a few weeks with the DFAM now, it reminds me as a drummer more of the Analog Four than anything else, as far as sound goes. You can take the A4 into pretty wicked percussion and drum territory without too much effort, far beyond most analog drummers such as the TanzbƤr and its peers, and the same goes for the DFAM.

There are a lot of semi-modular mini rigs out there using the DFAM and the Mother, swearing by the Moog way of doing this and not including other gear. Thatā€™s a really nice rig, sounds and looks beautiful and is so hands on, itā€™s impossible to not make it sound great.

But the A4MKI goes second hand for the same price - usually less - than one brand new Moog module. While I do realise itā€™s apples and pears, oranges and grapes, the difference in capabilities for the same price tag is just so tremendous, itā€™s hard to ignore.

3 Likes

Iā€™d be interested to hear @darenager thoughts on this, you were early on board with drums on the Analog Four. Howā€™s it holding up, do you think, compared to what youā€™re hearing from the DFAM?

I think the DFAM sounds great, like a new fusion of old drum synths like Synare3/JHS SD-1 and an 8 step sequencer, funny thing though as soon as it was announced I tweeted @moog about releasing it but they gave the impression that it was a moogfest only thing. :wink:

Still, definitely a very different beast from A4 for drums, but I can see why you draw the parallel, they both can take a percussive idea to something quite unique and interesting. Iā€™m a big fan of Werkstatt too, I imagine a couple of those cross patched and under control from A4 CV seq would be an endless source of fun.

5 Likes

thatĀ“s what I would like to ask you guys. Did you combined it with an Elektron like the A4? I guess the A4 can give some more power to the DFAM - using the cv outs for gates, lfo, ā€¦ I would love to here a demo with using Trig in and Adv in indepentendly on the DFAM - Especially with 2 different euclidean rytms it can do pretty much some very cool poly modulations.
And compared to the Doepfer Dark Energy - is the DFAM the better Dark Energy? Or say Dark Energy ++?

Thanks, yeah, thatā€™s what I figured. Theyā€™d make an interesting pair, for sure.

Got my DFAM last week and use it as a tabletop device without other eurorack equipment.

The Good:

• lots of Punch
  • gets deep down and dirty
  • intuitive sequencer
  • 3 envelopes
  • FM for distorted sounds and Hardsync
  • a creative tool for experiments
  • good for unusual sounds

The bad:

• no MIDI
  • no tap tempo
  • no lfo (well, you can use the sequencer at high speeds ā€¦)

The ugly:

• very hard to tune exactly

For the clock division and MIDI I combine it with a Beatstep pro, which kinda works but isnt great, since many important setups can only be made with Arturias MIDI Setup Software. But whats good: The DFAM starts and stops in Sync with the Beatstep.

Since the tuning is difficult, its good for percussive sounds and drones. For tonal Music (Bass etc.) I can manage to tune it quite good, then sample the sound and make the finetunig in the samplefunction of the DT.

BTW: Its not a good companion for the O-Coast, since the O-Coast sends its clock all the time (I havent found out how to start ond stop both in sync) and it has no clock divider, so the DFAM just plays 1/4 notes

2 Likes

Canā€™t you send tune from beatstep and patch to VCO 1 CV

was looking at this pairingā€¦ or with a mother 32ā€¦ which i can get for a really good price locallyā€¦ thoughts on that combo?

1 Like

Honestly, even though I love the Mother-32, Iā€™d go for the A4. Itā€™s not a Moog, but it really is everything else. Four tracks, fx, sound locks, patch memory, a bunch of CV outs and stuff. Thereā€™s just too much on offer to ignore.

However, Iā€™d say it also depends on your workflow. The DFAM is extremely suitable for layering. After I made a few brief demos of just the DFAM on its own, Iā€™m now using it for layered percussion, building tracks with it that contains more or less just the DFAM and a bass and a lead from my Prophet-6. So thereā€™s a kick, a snare, hi-hats and cymbals, clicks and crackles and sparkles and a few toms, all from the DFAM, sounding nothing like an 808 or 909 or even a TanzbƤr. Which is great.

So if youā€™re looking at building sounds and loops with it for recording and then further structure within whatever environment you use, then Iā€™d say go for the Digitakt or the Octatrack with the DFAM. Build something awesome with it, sample it and elaborate on it. Fire and forget, so to speak.

Iā€™m using both the OP-1 and Iā€™m back on the Digitakt for now as well, for this purpose. Despite the DFAMā€™s eight step sequencer, the organics in this thing breathe so much oxygen into the track that youā€™d wanna sample a loop at least 4 or 8 times from the DFAM, since thereā€™s so much going on in shifts and shapes, even though it doesnā€™t even have an LFO.

But if youā€™re looking for a small live rig, or a compact environment for complete compositions without the need to loop, record and elaborate, and you want the DFAM to pair with something, Iā€™d say whatever you pair it with, make sure it can expand both the DFAM as well as add plenty to the table. Weā€™re talking about a one voice eight step drum synth here, after all. And despite the lovely sound, build quality and interface of the Mother-32, the Analog Four just offers up opportunities when paired with the DFAM, the Mother canā€™t match. The one thing the A4 canā€™t do, is sound like the Mother. However much thatā€™s worth to you, only you know.

5 Likes

Now youā€™ve got me lusting after an a4mk2 :rofl:
do miss my old mk1 so much. Was my first Elektron box.

1 Like

Haha, sorry mate :blush:

Thanks! I do have an A4 already (and a full dark trinity)ā€¦ just looking at adding some flair to the mix.

I do mostly record into Ableton via OBridge then make tracks from cutting up the material.

Appreciate the quick response:)

1 Like

No worries, happy to help.

Hi folks!
here an example of the Moog Dfam and 2xDigitakt, have fun!

7 Likes

Yes that possible, It works, when I set the 0 Volt state to A0 in the Beatstep and then tune the DFAM to A0. Pitch CV and VCO Frequency are added.

BUT: When I check the pitch with an accurate tuner, its a few cents off and very hard to tune exactly, as there is no fine pitch on the dfam. I wish there was less fiddeling with the sensitive Pitch knob.

Does anyone know if its possible to convert MIDI CC to CV with the beatstep? So far (I only have the device for a few days now) I was only able to send gate pitch and velocity and convert it to cv.

Australian distributor rang yesterday to say they finally have some inā€¦mine arrives Tuesdayā€¦
PUMPEDā€¦cant wait to sample the pants off it with the DTā€¦

2 Likes

Where did you bought it in australia? Have a friend working at store dj in melb.