Moog DFAM

In the unlikely event that anyone tries to use the OP-1 to sync the DFAM - which I have - I can tell you that it doesn’t seem to work.

The OP-1 syncs fine with the Moog Mother 32 through use of its 1/16 output clock division, but this same output isn’t picked up by the DFAM. Not to any rate that’s usable, anyway.

I googled around and it seems the OP-1’s output for this purpose, while described by Teenage Engineering as useable for Eurorack, doesn’t work in all contexts. Maybe this is a given for anyone who’s into modular, but for me, it wasn’t so it was a bit of a surprise.

However, syncing the OP-1 with a Moog Mother 32, and then letting the Mother sync the DFAM, works great. So if you’ve got one of those mini rigs going, then this won’t be an issue.

And why the hell would you wanna do this that way, then? Well, here’s my scenario:
So I build a loop in the DFAM. I record it into the OP-1. But I have no idea about the exact tempo output from the DFAM. So I need to beat match the OP-1’s bpm to what comes out of the DFAM, which has proven surprisingly tedious, since the DFAM since to work with very small changes in tempo between each setting. So finding the perfect clock isn’t easy, and if I just knew the exact tempo output from the DFAM when I recorded the loop, then manual syncing in the OP-1 is very easy.

Going through the Mother into the DFAM resolves this, and I’m guessing most musicians don’t use the OP-1 like this anyway (I’ve googled around, the 1/16 output of the OP-1 seems to cause issues here and there, so at least I’m not alone), but in case there is, be aware that the sync output from the OP-1 appears to be too weak to run the DFAM.

3 Likes

Very cool demo

7 Likes

Haha, for sure :blush: further investigations reveal that the OP-1’s sync output is just about 1v, which a Mother can handle but not a Drummer. A slightly inconsequential move from Moog, but it is what it is.

2 Likes

@andreasroman

Get a doepfer beauty case and a Pamela’s New Workout and all your sync problems will be gone forever (especially if you take the midi expander as well) + you’ll have 8 hugely flexibles outputs to modulate your DFAM with !

Something like this would be very powerful :

7 Likes

Yep. However, I don’t really use the DFAM without the Mother. So in practice, I’ve resolved the issue for me now.

1 Like

Very cool.

I don’t plan on going modular. I was about to settle down now. Enjoy the calm and peace of my golden years.

Do not tempt me.

1 Like

Hey that’s why I suggested the beauty case ! It’s not such a risk (at first).

1 Like

Received my DFAM yesterday.
It’s my first moog synth and wow, this thing sounds FAT without any effect :open_mouth:
I’m already considering getting a second one :joy:

3 Likes

This is how I’ve set this up now. DFAM and Moog Mother 32 paired. Mother’s VCA goes into DFAM’s Ext Audio, and Mother’s further used to shape the sound for the DFAM. So it’s more a drum synth on steroids than a synth and a drum module paired. I use the Mother for modulation into the DFAM, as well as more defined harmonic percussion.

OP-1 is master sync into Mother, and then it’s all recorded on cue into the OP-1’s tape or sampler, depending on preference.

7 Likes

how does work the unquantized pitch in the DFAM sequencer?? Sounds always musically in all the demos but tune a hole kind of melody with unquantized pitch can be playing like an guitar out of tune I guess … especially with the tiny. knobs. Whats your experiences so far??

It’s fiddly, but it’ll get you there if harmonics is what you want.

Is there a video anywhere of anyone using a Mother plus the dfam’s 2 oscillators as a 3 voice mono synth?

or sending quantised notes from a beatstep or similar and using the dfam sequencer for modulation etc

2 Likes

yeah was thinking about maybe pairing it up with an sq1.

So now just have to sell my holy machinedrum to found the dfam

:neutral_face::expressionless::no_mouth:

1 Like

Nooo, don’t do that

1 Like

Whot ? Are you crazy ? Sell the MD. Foolish guy, don’t do dat ! You’ll regret it. Sell other pieces.
I dream of a DFAM, but not at this price !
:wink:

3 Likes

Spoke with Perfect circuit audio, sounds like moog are trickling units out when they have made enough. Could be looking at end of April now :-/

Anyone tried Pam´s Workout to start the Mother/DFAM internal sequencer?

1 Like

I will be interested to know as that is how I intend to start and sync DFAM when it finally arrives.
Reading further it could be as simple as using a 1x (or 8x ?) Gate output from Pam into the ADV/CLOCK on DFAM. Then press RUN / STOP on DFAM so it is ready and waiting for Pam’s gate.

If you read about using Mother 32 to sync DFAM it uses an output on M32 that is described as;

CLOCK This outputs a 0 to +5V Clock signal at the internal clock tempo, one pulse per step.

rather than selling the magnificent MD to fund this, maybe look at another option - rent. it would be around $38au i think, per month. not much.